PDA

View Full Version : how long should a head mount take?

Woodrow
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Whats the longest you have had to wait to get a mount back? A friend of mine is waiting for a head mount from september of last year.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Haven't waited this long, myself, but I know people that have waited 3 1/2 yrs:?

SSS

reddog888
01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Ive heard anywhere from 1-2 years is normal. A bottle of scotch sent his way could speed things up.... ;)

Rackmastr
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
1-2 years is about normal...and ya some guys do wait up to 3 years depending on the taxidermist......

01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Any thing longer then a year I think is getting ridiculous. That said, you get what you pay for, for a guys cherished trophy, a well done job is worth the money.
It is not uncommon to be up to a year.
CT

showtimebc
01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
6 days

mounted by myself...along with the help of my dad. Hudson Bay Taxidermy in Smithers.

325 wsm
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
If you get your mount back in less than 3 or 4 months you probably should have taken it to someone else. Taxidermists that are busy are usually busy for a reason. 9 to 18 months is pretty normal for most good taxidermists

GoatGuy
01-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Haven't waited this long, myself, but I know people that have waited 3 1/2 yrs:?

SSS

Are you making reference to me?

Have you violated any laws?

Did you have my permission before hand?

Tisk, tisk.

The next one should be less than 6 months so that means 2 in 4 years which makes me feel better..................:cry:

Paying more for a rug than I did for a half life doesn't though

newhunterette
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
it is normal to wait a year or more to receive a mount - it is your trophy and you want it to be perfect - that takes time for an artist to recreate all the beauty and that is what a taxidermist is (an artist) - it is hard to be patient but the glory of the hunt and the memories never leave you so when you finally get your mount back it is like reliving the day again.

Prowler
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree with most on here. Anything longer than a year, and you are getting the runaround. This is from a guy has had the "taxi" run around a few to many times. I have waited over 3 years for a few, and only got them back after getting nasty with the guy....
Sept, last year? thats only 5 months, so I wouldnt hit the panick button yet...

Seabass
01-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I got my deer head back in about 3months. White Wolf Taxidermy in Courntey. And yes, they do good work. 2 bear rugs 4 deer heads between my buddy and I and neither one of us has had to wait over 6months. Very happy with there work. Some people are busy and some people are lazy, (I'm not implying that to anyone here.) It only takes 9months to create a human being. How long does it take to pull a deer hide over a form??:-D

Cheers

Seabass

Will
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
My last deer Mount took about 6 months.....but I would fully have expected to wait up to a year...that's reasonable for a deer head. Anymore then that and I would most likely shop around the next time round for someone that doesn't "over book" themselves when accepting work IMO.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Are you making reference to me?

Have you violated any laws?

Did you have my permission before hand?

Tisk, tisk.

The next one should be less than 6 months so that means 2 in 4 years which makes me feel better..................:cry:

Paying more for a rug than I did for a half life doesn't though

Do I know you???:?

SSS

blackbart
01-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Okay folks with such an easy target as "how long should a head mount take" I am surprised that no one has taken this thread into the gutter yet.

Just to keep things rolling I will ask for a little extra detail to aid in answering the question: How much whiskey have you drank? I for one have experienced first hand that the time required for completion of head mounting has a direct inverse correlation to the amount of whiskey consumed. In fact too much whiskey consumption = no head mount at all!

Sorry for the derail, but it had to happen at some point.

hunter1947
01-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Its up to you to ask when you take the species you had shot to the taxidermy ,you should ask how long this would be is my guess.

It sometimes can take up to 2 years ,it all depends how much he has on the burner.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2009, 06:30 AM
it is normal to wait a year or more to receive a mount

My girlfriend gets antsy after a couple of days - maybe I should talk to Peter about this?

However, a year or so for taxidermy isn't out of the ordinary.

Will
01-12-2009, 06:39 AM
My girlfriend gets antsy after a couple of days - maybe I should talk to Peter about this?

However, a year or so for taxidermy isn't out of the ordinary.
:lol::lol::lol:

BiG Boar
01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
The reason I was given as to why taxidermy takes so long,....still waiting on my bear rug....is that the people who do the tanning do great work and they have the back up. I think a lot of taxidermists send thier tanning out to someone eles. Of course this is the blame game.

Mtnhunter
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
That's true Bigbore! I've had hides return from the Tannery in one month and I've also waited just under a year for a Grizzly cape to come back!

Prowler
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Ahhh, I wondered how long it would take for a taxi man to chime in:razz:The tannery is usualy the culprit, but in my belief the biggest culpret is the taxi not wanting to turn away ANY work, and getting swamped...
That is what happened with my stuff. he was doing stuff for one of the big outfitters and got way backlogged.....

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Ahhh, I wondered how long it would take for a taxi man to chime in:razz:The tannery is usualy the culprit, but in my belief the biggest culpret is the taxi not wanting to turn away ANY work, and getting swamped...
That is what happened with my stuff. he was doing stuff for one of the big outfitters and got way backlogged.....

Been there, done that, with the same guy, if I know who you are talking about:wink::grin:

Most of the time, I have waited from 1 year to 18 months. I am still waiting for my last one, 2 years, It is completed, but I am trying to get it down here to the Island from Prince George. Not having much luck on that.

Cheers

SS

Prowler
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Jump in the truck and go get......:smile: Sheeeesh. Lazy *******.....

Prowler
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
DOOOOOOP !!! I hate being censored!!!!!:mad:

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Jump in the truck and go get......:smile: Sheeeesh. Lazy *******.....

LOL!!!

I have been thinking about that......

we will see

SS

BlacktailStalker
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Might as well get 2 birds stoned at once and plan a hunt at the same time :)

Mtnhunter
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Tell your Taxidermist to crate it and ship down on the bus! It'll be cheaper than going to get it! Just another option!

David Heitsman
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I think a lot of the problem lies with the tanning (tannery) and their batch processing. My understanding is that they do a batch of elk capes or goat life sizes and then when that batch is done another may not be scheduled for many months away. So you might miss the cut off time for submission
and then be looking at a year later for the next batch.

The taxidermists also seem to be chronically understaffed. I'm not sure why that is.

What really perplexes me is Animal Artistry in Reno and other large studios guarantee 6 month turnaround times.

Since I am usually broke by the end of hunting season, I don't mind waiting a while to get my mounts. I just drop off $$ every time I stop by and over the course of the year there isn't much balance owing when I do get the call to pick it up.

Mr. Dean
01-13-2009, 01:12 AM
When sourcing out work things can get a bit 'weird' and you no longer have control over the job. A tan job can take some time, depending on what the line-up is like. Same goes for the taxi-man.

Any time you hire out for a job, be it a brake job, engine job or taxi job, one should get/ask what the time-lines are going to be... What's more important is whether or not the individual is living up to their word/promises.

Wild Images
01-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Tannerys get swamped this time of year, The capes that I sent in sept came back last week the stuff from Oct will probably come next month.
All this being said the heads that show up from nov-dec and are still coming in as this is written as people wait til christmas is over and we also get a little break. Now all these hides from god knows how many taxidermists show up at the tannery by the truck load. I have had them come back in as little as 3 months and as long as 10 months.
If you want your mount to look good and last long term use a taxidermist that sends stuff to a quality tannery, if you want it back fast then you are on your own.

Mtnhunter
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
You're right david a lot of tanneries do batch jobs as you said! The reason taxidermists are understaffed is the work you want them to do ie: boil skulls, cape, flesh! Not many people like the dirty jobs!
Animal Artistry is a big operation with several employees so as your hide is at the tannery your base is being constructed along with habitat and your form is getting altered and prepped by individual departments!
They have their own crating dept. to package your mount up ready for shipping!
They also have agreements with the tanneries to get their work through quickly due to the volume they send!
The small operations don't have that luxury!

David Heitsman
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Mtnhunter

Appreciate the clarification. I've been thru Animal Artistry's shop
when I am in Reno. Quite a process. The biggest one I have ever seen
is Highveld Taxidermy out of Johannesburg. They must have had
150 staff.