PDA

View Full Version : A good skinning knife?

Buckmeister
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
OK you knife experts, throw me a bone here please.

Sometime between now and next game season I want to pick up a good skinning knife. I don't mean an alright one, I mean a "GOOD" one. One that will hold an edge. One where you can skin a whole dear with no issues. Where in the North Okanagan or online can I shop for one? I've done some preliminary shopping and I perfer to make an informed purchase.

I've been told that 'Buck' knives aren't what they used to be. So if someone replies to this thread by saying "I've owned my ________(insert your favorite here) knive for over 25 years and it's the best @#$& knife ever!", well that's great, but keep in mind that I will be purchasing a NEW knife that was probally made within the last 12 months or so. So I'm looking for quality, durability, etc.....I quess what I'm asking is this, Have you gotten a new knife recently that, bar none, is the best knife youv'e owned in the last X amount of years or so?? And if so, what is it and where can I find one too? :smile:

blacklab
01-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Give Floyd Ternier a call in Armstrong, he's been making knives for a few years now and has a good reputation for hardworking knives at reasonable prices.

BEARSLAYER
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I would wait for one of the gun shows coming in the spring .The list of custom makers is endlles and some good deals can be had. I picked up two nice ones at the kamloops show.

BCKID
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I use my truck to skin my deer!! Works great!! http://video.google.ca/videosearch?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=skin%20deer%20with%20quad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#q=skin%20deer%20with%20truck&hl=en&emb=0

I use at least 3 knives, I have an old knife (32 yrs) I use for the pre skinning work. (AH and stuff, long skinny blade) I now have a Winchester for a main blade. And I also have a small buck (folding) for when the main blade gets dull. I find razor sharp is best but a bit of a rounded blade so you don't carve up the hide. Hope you get to use your knife next season. BCKID

moosinaround
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Have a custom knife made by Ddog on this site! His work is awesome! I had a custom knife made for my son for christmas, and it is awesome!! I am planning on having one made for myself before hunting season starts this year! I know Noahdawg has had three made as well, his first skinner is not only well made but a work of art too! PM Ddog, he hook you up! Moosin

The 'Hummer'
01-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I had a Buck skinning knife and for me, 'perfect'. I gave it to my daughter in AB. Years back, I saw a Puma White Hunter, and I couldn't live without it. As time passed, I found the only thing it got used for on a regular basis was slicing bacon in our hunting camp. Other than that, if you were breaking trail in central america, it would come in handy for slashing a trail. Eventually I had a local knife enthusiast cut it down to a 3" skinning knife and I love it.

Spitzer
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
The best "skinning" blade is an ULU.

kishman
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Any of the D.H. Russell/Ghroman skinning knives are good. I've had the folder that they make for 15 years or more and I've used the mini skinner on 3 Deer now with great results.

Steeleco
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I used a Buck Vanguard for 10 years till I broke it being lazy this past spring.
I scored a great deal on another one as a local retailer was closing out. It's done 2 deer so far and only needed a slight touch up.

rocketrob
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
try a grohmann knife have four of them survial,original design,skinner and lockblade can skin two to three deer before touch up.i like them better then buck knifes.skin about 8 moose 60 deer with my knifes go to there website they have a clearance page got mine for 50% off. www.grohmannknifes.com (http://www.grohmannknifes.com)

Wildfoot
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
try a grohmann knife have four of them survial,original design,skinner and lockblade can skin two to three deer before touch up.i like them better then buck knifes.skin about 8 moose 60 deer with my knifes go to there website they have a clearance page got mine for 50% off. www.grohmannknifes.com (http://www.grohmannknifes.com)

canadian military uses them as well.

I think grohmann will be my next knife purchase

325 wsm
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I can do a whole moose and not have to touch the blade on any half decent knife as long as I get it razor sharp with my Lansky sharpening kit first. There are some decent sharpening kits out there. It's more important to know how to use one of these. To many guys buy a custom knife and never really learn how to sharpen it. The steel in some custom knives can also be a real pain in the ass to sharpen as it is "to hard".Custom knife sits in drawer second season and owner goes to walmart to buy a $50 dollar gerber or buck because they can't sharpen their custom knife. next year another $50 dollar knife. In the mountains for sheep & caribou I carry a $24.99 gerber with a 2.5 inch blade. Good for 2 small animals like that before it needs a touch up in the field.

rocksteady
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Bottom left window, I have had the 1520T for over 30 years....Great steel and good shape for skinning...

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/index.php?page=Schrade-Catalog-2007

I know Wal-Mart has them for about $30

Ddog
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I can do a whole moose and not have to touch the blade on any half decent knife as long as I get it razor sharp with my Lansky sharpening kit first. There are some decent sharpening kits out there. It's more important to know how to use one of these. To many guys buy a custom knife and never really learn how to sharpen it. The steel in some custom knives can also be a real pain in the ass to sharpen as it is "to hard".Custom knife sits in drawer second season and owner goes to walmart to buy a $50 dollar gerber or buck because they can't sharpen their custom knife. next year another $50 dollar knife. In the mountains for sheep & caribou I carry a $24.99 gerber with a 2.5 inch blade. Good for 2 small animals like that before it needs a touch up in the field.

this is only true if someone buys a custom knife where the knifemaker doesnt know what edge to put on it and just sharpens it, in that case it should be sharpened with a wet stone or an oil stone, not by a sharpener that has set angles, If the steel is to hard then the knifemaker also doesnt know what rockwell hardness to put on it.
this also depends on the steel used to whether or not it can hold an edge, some steels hold an edge better than others and the price reflects that.

BCbillies
01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I purchased the Grohmann standard skinner in 2007 and it's my new best friend. A definite front runner when compared to my Gerber and Buck. Skinned a few goats and bears and it feels great and holds an edge. This knife is very reasonably priced. If I only take one knife on a hunt . . . this is the one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Knife3.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11701&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=2867&sl=b)

SKYLINE
01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I was given a Grohmann knife a few years ago and I can honestly say that it is the best knife I have ever used. Although it is a little heavy in the mountains, I won't use anything else anymore.

rocketrob
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
i like all my grohmann knifes , but i use my #300 lockblade the most, skin ,gut does it all .reason why is it easy to carry don't have handle poking in the side went i bend over working.my friend has #380 drop point both are great all around knifes .

Schutzen
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Outdoor edge game skinner hands down period. They make two versions the smaller one is the Whitetail skinner.
They have a great site try a google search.

rocketrob
01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
i own a outdoor edge skinner will get the job done but the steel isn't as good as grohmann knifes can't hold edge as long as grohmann knife.

The Dawg
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Have a custom knife made by Ddog on this site! His work is awesome! I had a custom knife made for my son for christmas, and it is awesome!! I am planning on having one made for myself before hunting season starts this year! I know Noahdawg has had three made as well, his first skinner is not only well made but a work of art too! PM Ddog, he hook you up! Moosin

Yep- Daryll does amazing work. Theres a reason I ordered 3 and Moosin ordered one.

I am going to be ordering more of his knives in the future. Send Ddog a PM

Gunner
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't know Ddog's knives but I hear they're 1st class.I do know Floyd Tourniers knives and they are an excellent buy.Floyd is at most of the Interior gun shows. Gunner

308BAR
01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Kershaw Echo Onion pretty great steel, it holds it edge really well when through two moose and deers without any sharpening. Use it as a utility knife and it has not let me down yet, had it for 3 years.

knighthunter
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Shouldn't be rocket science to find a knife that will skin a whole deer without needing sharpening. My Old Timer fixed blade or the folder can be used to gut and skin a whole deer without sharpening. A deer's not that big of an animal.

KodiakHntr
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

Chris8
01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I always use my trusty Buck Vanguard. I love the size and shape of it, I just wish it held an edge better. It does the trick if you're just doing one deer, though. I saw somewhere that there's one with S30V steel now, that should be a bit better.
I'll agree about the outdoor edge skinner. I've been meaning to pick one up ever since one of the guys had one along when we were doing my moose a couple years back. It was really slick.

Gunner
01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/I have 2 Ingrams and several of Bob Doziers knives.They are a big step up from any production knife.Not for everybody though,Gene's wait list is about 4 years now.Also it takes some time to learn how to sharpen D2 steel properly.Once you've got it figured out ,it can't be beat! Gunner

444marlin
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Look at the Buck Alpha series of knives. I have the Mini-Alpha which is made of ATS-34 steel. Great knife for small game and skinning.

rugeer
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Five years ago I started using my fish fillet Knife,I can't recall the reason I did this, but I now have three for hunting, easy to sharpen,they keep an edge fairly well ,I find the curvature of the blade to be perfect for skinning and pulling and as well they are fairly inexpensive

Rackmastr
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I just ordered a Bark River Mini Canadian.......from all I've seen the Bark River knives are VERY nice blades.......

Switchblade
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
OK you knife experts, throw me a bone here please.

Sometime between now and next game season I want to pick up a good skinning knife. I don't mean an alright one, I mean a "GOOD" one. One that will hold an edge. One where you can skin a whole dear with no issues. Where in the North Okanagan or online can I shop for one? I've done some preliminary shopping and I perfer to make an informed purchase.

I've been told that 'Buck' knives aren't what they used to be. So if someone replies to this thread by saying "I've owned my ________(insert your favorite here) knive for over 25 years and it's the best @#$& knife ever!", well that's great, but keep in mind that I will be purchasing a NEW knife that was probally made within the last 12 months or so. So I'm looking for quality, durability, etc.....I quess what I'm asking is this, Have you gotten a new knife recently that, bar none, is the best knife youv'e owned in the last X amount of years or so?? And if so, what is it and where can I find one too? :smile:
Check out the Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter or Master Hunter models.

jerad
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
walmart has a knife ive been using for 6 years now called the buck diamondback, its 25 bucks has a beutifuly ergonomic rubber grib molded for many different holds

and its also got suprisingly low maintenence steel.
i know buck aint what it used to be but they got this one right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI9BIuysnpA

that is no longer the sheath system, its now a cloth sheath