PDA

View Full Version : 4-28 Grizzly Draw?

g_worsnop
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Any areas that are good for grizzlys???? Westfall??

elkhunter1
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
My Partner and myself got 2 dwaw,s for 4-28
Now I know 3 out of the 4 available.
We are also new to 4-28
Any Info ??
When dous snow clear,???

GoatGuy
02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Any areas that are good for grizzlys???? Westfall??

You're from trail, you should know.:-)

Half the guys from there put in that area.

one-shot-wonder
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Depending if they are logging in there or not the snow and slides can hang around in that country a long time. With forestry in the shape it is I would assume no logging and therefore the slides will still be blocking roads into the backcountry. Last time in there it was a big snow year and I had to mountain bike over the slides to get into the back country. Your best bet is up the Westfall river. Otherwise up the duncan main you can only hunt across the river on the westside and that river is crazy to cross. couple friends of mine have had to cross and retrieve bears and they would never do it again! If you do be prepared, with a good dingy and a few helping hands with ropes, etc. Otherwise plan on crossing the famous snow bridge up the westfall or find other areas on the river depending on the years flow to cross to catch bears in the slides.

BTW in 5 days of hunting I saw 18 bears, 2 shooters including one absolute monster, both of which were unretrievable so beware before you take the shot.

Good luck!

one-shot-wonder
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
You're from trail, you should know.:-)

Half the guys from there put in that area.

Seems every year there is a healthy Trail contingent in the area. Ask around town, I am sure you can get some further info from those guys, just be sure to double check with their advise. The last group of Trail boys I met in there had a hard time figuring out which areas were 4-27 and which were 4-28.:shock:

yama49
02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
yes the ducan main can be diff to get into. this year should be different though, much less snow. good luck

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Be wary of raging rivers. I've heard a couple of near death experiences in there.
Be prepared to go a loooooooooong ways around ...if need be.

No grizz is worth your life.

SSS

one-shot-wonder
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
yes the ducan main can be diff to get into. this year should be different though, much less snow. good luck

Lots of time still in March and April to pile the snow up.....look outside your window right now!

Best scenario is take mother natures cards out of her hand and ride your bike in past the slides, its amazing how much country we covered in a day with bikes. The best part is its all downhill on the ride out at dark.

elkhunter1
02-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for info so far.
Yes I am worried about Slides.
Will take ATV and Bike.
Got 2 draws.
This will be my last Griz hunt.
Looking for Big Griz,
Any Info would help.

Scobo
02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, i drew 4-27. I too could use the help. Looks like I'll only have one trip 3-4 days to git er done. I appreciate any advise.

boxhitch
02-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks like I'll only have one trip 3-4 days to git er done.
Hope the weather is good for that long weekend holiday.

one-shot-wonder
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, i drew 4-27. I too could use the help. Looks like I'll only have one trip 3-4 days to git er done. I appreciate any advise.

Your best bet is probably up the Howser Creek drainage, some good slide country up there. With 12 other authorizations in there you will surely run into other hunters so if you can, try to avoid the long weekend.

Don't know where you are coming from but it is a long pull to get in there. be prepared!

Good luck!

elkhunter1
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Got 4-28 Draw Autorization in mail just now.
Getting excited not.
Crap just snowed over night,????

moikie
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
well you'll see me up howser on the long weekend milkin the slides all day long, all may long. Got the draw too!

elkhunter1
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Good Luck on long week end.

g_worsnop
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Hows the snowpack ??? Bears??