PDA

View Full Version : ATV Gun Boots

Duk Dog
01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Just wondering what everyone uses, and what sort of feedback, - good and bad, you have. I got a Kolpin Gun Boot IV for Christmas and have to decide if I am keeping it or exchanging it. I've heard various reviews.
Thanks.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/gun-boot-cases-brackets.html

Will
01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I've got the Kolpin IV...no complaints it does what it was made to do....I do like the sleeve mounting system...easy to slide the whole case off and on when needed.

Only thing I've noticed is with shorter barreled rifles the scope bell bottoms out on the sloped shoulder of the case before the muzzle bottoms out....probably a none issue I just don't like my scope bearing the weight of the rifle....I stuffed old socks down the front of my case.

Problem solved:-D

And stuffing things with socks has been a great trick for a long time to help those with short barrels.........:|

Duk Dog
01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I've got the Kolpin IV...no complaints it does what it was made to do....I do like the sleeve mounting system...easy to slide the whole case off and on when needed.

Only thing I've noticed is with shorter barreled rifles the scope bell bottoms out on the sloped shoulder of the case before the muzzle bottoms out....probably a none issue I just don't like my scope bearing the weight of the rifle....I stuffed old socks down the front of my case.

Problem solved:-D

And stuffing things with socks has been a great trick for a long time to help those with short barrels.........:|

That is the problem people have mentioned and I am worried about. My Sako has a short barrel (22" I think) and I don't want all the bumps being taken by the scope.

Will
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
That is the problem people have mentioned and I am worried about. My Sako has a short barrel (22" I think) and I don't want all the bumps being taken by the scope.
I don't think it's as big as an issue as some make it out though.....
The rifle does settle in there pretty good and is well supported, I just found that a little extra "stuffing" down the front took that worry away:wink:

BlacktailStalker
01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Kolpins are good. Only thing I dont like about gun boots is you can only bail off one side if you're going to roll !

The Hermit
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Mine is noisy as hell shaking around a lot. Still it is great in that it keeps the rifle clean and dry for the longer rides in and out of the hunting area. I supplement with a gun bracket up on the front ATV rack for my bow.

Mauser98
01-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Mine is noisy as hell shaking around a lot. Still it is great in that it keeps the rifle clean and dry for the longer rides in and out of the hunting area. I supplement with a gun bracket up on the front ATV rack for my bow.

Same here with the noise and bouncing. I run a bungee cord from the lower end of the boot to a hole in my foot-rest to solve the problem

srupp
01-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I had the gunboot 1v for years and LOVED it..GREAT SETUP. When I got the new quad I let the gunboot 1v go with the old ATV..MISTAKE..

I got the 5.0 a POS..it STAYS on is thinner CHEAPER PLASTIC...THAT DEFORMS...GRRRRRR....stear clear..IV is the way to go...

Steven

Viking
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Got the Kolpin 1v and I have to check if there is any weigth on the scope, but styrofoam block should cure that poblem. Currently building a bracket for it, as the one I got with it did not work with the box I got on the back rack.

Duk Dog
01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Same here with the noise and bouncing. I run a bungee cord from the lower end of the boot to a hole in my foot-rest to solve the problem

Good tip.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it is a keeper, but I may need to pad the bottom so the rifle rides on the barrel instead of the scope.

Tarp Man
01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I use the Plano system, and found the rattling a problem. A couple bungees solved the problem, and I didn't worry about the the bouncing around. I also found that my tikka needed to have a bit of stuffing in the toe of the boot. I guess they are made to continue compensating for the long barreled magnum crowd

OOBuck
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I DONT like the plastic base ones they suck!!! The metal base ones rock! I have bent mine over backwards out play on my machine and just had to streighten it and I was back in biz..

zedex
01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Yup. The kolpin IV is a keeper. Only problems i had was my gun would pull the sock out with it. I sewed velcro to the sock so now the inner sock stays absolutely put. Also. It was hard to pull off the lid to access your gun. It was a tight fit. I just riveted a handle to the lid so thats solved too. Rolled my quad on several occasions and the boot survived both and protected the rifle. Using the plastic/fiberglass slide in mount.

rocksteady
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Have 2 issues with the Kolpin IV, can't put the rifle in it with bipod attached and too tight of a fit if your scope is oversized tube (say 50 mm objective)..Other than that, great protection for the baby...

killman
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I Have the Walmart one. I mounted it to the front rack so the butt of the rifle is right beside my right hand. It works really well there, easy to get out. The tip sticks out in front of my quad but I haven't had any issues with it hanging up, or hitting things.

The 'Hummer'
01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Koplin also, and as others have already mentioned, it works fine. In addition, on the handlebars, and I can't recall the make, I have a set of u-shaped holders :idea:with restraining straps that hold my Marlin 1895GS perfectly.:biggrin: