PDA

View Full Version : spotting scopes

sparky300winmag
01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
OK ,fellow hunters, I am looking to buy a GOOD spotting scope.I've had two bushnells. The last one i think i spent between$300-400.I was very disappointed with it when i counted on it to count tines on a Mulie.It was blowing snow and a dull day, but i needed more light transmission, just too dark, and not very defined.I was thinking of under $1000.Or would i just be wasting more money?and should save up and spend the big bucks.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Save up and spend the big bucks. $1000 plus your 2 at $400 would have had you close to top end scope. Spend only $1000 now and you will be posting in here in another few years.

Steeleco
01-10-2009, 09:29 PM
One day I'll own one of these.
http://www.spottingscopes.com/spotting-scopes/bird-watching-spotting-scopes/leupoldsportsopticsgoldenring1240x60hdspottingscop ebrown.cfm (http://www.spottingscopes.com/spotting-scopes/hunting-spotting-scopes/leupoldsportsopticsmark41240x60tactical.cfm)

Fisher-Dude
01-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Save up for one of the big three...Zeiss, Swaro, or Leica. $1,000 spent now is $1,000 wasted. The big three are worth every penny.

Brambles
01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
CameralandNY sometimes has Demo Zeiss diascopes on sale for real close to your $1000, even if you have to spend a little more its worth it.

waistdeep
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Save up for one of the big three...Zeiss, Swaro, or Leica. $1,000 spent now is $1,000 wasted. The big three are worth every penny.
Yep, spent over my life time enough for two Swaro's, now I bought one it is awesome:razz:

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes...go right to Swarz or Zeiss...I bought a Leopuld years ago the year before the big Swarz came out. (15 years ago or so) At the time it was one of the best and I paid $900. Well the next yeat when the Swarz came our for $1400-$1600 was I choked. The next there was absolutely no comparison side by side when up on the Tuchodi looking at elk and sheep at over a mile away.

mcrae
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I bought the Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60. It has worked very well for me. Its nice and light weight. There is no way I will be able to afford a 2000+ dollar spotting scope so I felt it was the best choice for me.

01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
l bought a B&L Elite just before Bushnell took them over and it has served me well. Paid just over a grand for it IIRC. Had the chance to match it up against a Swaro once and I couldn't find enough differences to justify thinking of upgrading. If l was buying first time, would probably look at one of the high end names, but I have no complaints about my B&L...

bridger
01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I have used several over the years now have a swaroski 65 expensive but worth every penny. my hunter partner uses a leopould and likes it really well. not as good as the swaroski in bad light though. as good rule of thumb for hunting optics buy the very best you can afford skimp on something else good optics are a must for serious mtn hunting. i wasted lots of dollars on cheap binos and spotting scopes before i took the plunge have never been sorry for going for the top of the line. have used leica, zeiss, and swaroski they are all good just a matter of personal preference.

ovis40
01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I have used several over the years now have a swaroski 65 expensive but worth every penny. my hunter partner uses a leopould and likes it really well. not as good as the swaroski in bad light though. as good rule of thumb for hunting optics buy the very best you can afford skimp on something else good optics are a must for serious mtn hunting. i wasted lots of dollars on cheap binos and spotting scopes before i took the plunge have never been sorry for going for the top of the line. have used leica, zeiss, and swaroski they are all good just a matter of personal preference.

Great advice Bridger! I sold 2 guns that I didn't need and 2 spotting scopes that were like looking through a bar room at midnight. Bought a Swarovski 65 and haven't looked back. So what if your gun might be a pound more than you would like......just keep your hands out of the fridge, but don,t go cheap on optics. The good stuff can save you many miles from having to get closer for a better look.

kleth2000
01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Good prices here
http://www.lirelanature.com/modules.php?name=ProductList&op=BrowseCat&catid=16#Pentax

http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html
I picked up the Pentax PF-80ED & ZOOM 20X-60X

Lots of bird watching sites have good info on scopes
Seems like Kowa,Nikon,Pentax,Swarovski,Leica and Zeiss all make good scopes
Do lots of reading and try to compare them side by side if you can.
Pick the one your eye likes.

BlacktailStalker
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Bought a Swaro 65HD last year, man Its a thing of beauty, I echo the recommendations of buying it if you can (got lots of time til you uneed it right!? Save some more)
Just remember a good spotter is often only as good as the tripod you put it on.
Go for a quality carbon fibre tripod (will run you around $200) like the Slik, nothing worse than a trembling field of view.
A quality head like the Jim White will run you another $250.
All worth every penny and backed by solid warranties to last you a life time.

By the looks of those 3 elk in your picture, I think you'll still do fine regardless :biggrin:

gbear
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Like many others have said, you can't go wrong with one of the big 3. Yes, more money upfront, but you will be happy with it for a lifetime and won't have to upgrade in a couple years.

I upgraded to a Zeiss with an 85 mm objective last year from a B&L Elite. There is no comparison.

crazy ducker
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm Saving Right Know For A Swaro What's The Difference In The 65 And The 80 And Is The Hd Worth The Price Differance. And The Best Place To Buy A Spotting Scope

mikethemilkman
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
daryl sent pm call me mike

sparky300winmag
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys.I think i will just have to save more cash and go for a top of the line Spot scope.I broke down last year and got a set of swaro binos .So i guess i'll have to do the same with the spot.They're just so goddamn expensive .BUT worth it in the end.

BCRiverBoater
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys.I think i will just have to save more cash and go for a top of the line Spot scope.I broke down last year and got a set of swaro binos .So i guess i'll have to do the same with the spot.They're just so goddamn expensive .BUT worth it in the end.

Was saving for the Swaro binos worth? I bet it was. So if it was in your mind...then why treat your scope any different?

sparky300winmag
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I just thought there might be a scope that might be almost as good as the really high end stuff.It took me a long time to buy the binos.So it will be probably a few seasons for new spot scope.

bigwhiteys
01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I just thought there might be a scope that might be almost as good as the really high end stuff.It took me a long time to buy the binos.So it will be probably a few seasons for new spot scope.

Pay close attention to eBay and local buy/sell/trade magazines... It's not often that it happens but I have seen Zeiss and Swaro spotters go for some pretty good deals.

I went with the Zeiss 85mm only because I couldn't get the same deal on a swaro.

Carl

eaglesnester
01-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Any spotting scope for sale, new under $1000.00 Cdn is a waste of money. You get what you pay for in a spotting scope, trust me. You must purchase a good name, spend the bucks, or you will be a very unhappy camper.

Bcbowhead
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
buy nice or but twice!