PDA

View Full Version : Trail cam woes...

BCHunterFSJ
01-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a trail cam problem that maybe someone out there can help me with. I bought the camera early last Fall and it worked just fine...until deer season/winter arrived here in the Peace region. Every time that I went to check my camera, it was completely covered in a thick layer of hoarfrost and/or snow. The result? No pictures when I needed them most!
Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MattB
01-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Part of the problem may be the type of trees you have the camera under. Im guessing you have it under Aspen? Maybe try putting it under some conifers, that may be enough to keep them from getting frosted over. I know when i park my truck under trees the windsheild doesnt seem to be frosted over in the morning. May work, may not...tough to say.

Steve W
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I have done a lot of work with trail cameras and they can be fussy at times. MattB has a good suggestion and I'll be keeping that in mind as well.

When I set up a trail camera I always try to make sure it has some cover over it. I'll usually put a piece of barks on top of the camera and this seems to take care of frost and helps shield the camera sensor from being tripped from movement above. If I can, I'll put it inside a stump or under a bank of some sort that's even better. I try not to use branches because the movement from them can trip the camera as well.

Here's a link to some folks who are pretty serious about trail cameras and have lots of experience and advice.

http://pixcontroller.com/forums/index.php

Steve

bridger
01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
vic i nail a small shelf like piece of plywood to the tree above my trail cams seems to work.

Sitkaspruce
01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I have a trail cam problem that maybe someone out there can help me with. I bought the camera early last Fall and it worked just fine...until deer season/winter arrived here in the Peace region. Every time that I went to check my camera, it was completely covered in a thick layer of hoarfrost and/or snow. The result? No pictures when I needed them most!
Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I went to store and bought a cheap rectangular, GLAD Tuperware rip off, the one that fit my camera the best. I then cut the end off and pinned the other end between the tree and the camera, now you have a cover for your camera that stiil lets in most of the natural light. Cheap, easy and works great. Just have to watch the plastic when it is friggen cold out, do not try to bend it or re shape it, it will break:eek::biggrin:.

Cheers

SS

bridger
01-10-2009, 10:28 PM
great idea will try that next

hunter1947
01-11-2009, 05:57 AM
vic i nail a small shelf like piece of plywood to the tree above my trail cams seems to work.

This is what I do as well ,helps keep the water snow from landing on top of the camera and freezing.

BCHunterFSJ
01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the great ideas! Will try them out for sure.