PDA

View Full Version : No luck callin' today.

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Went out today around noon to look for some coyotes. Sat along a plowed FSR for a few hours. Called in a bunch of ravens, but no dogs Snow was chest deep! I was sure glad I grabbed my snowshoes, but I was wishing i grabbed my gators as well.

Saw some interesting tracks from some sort of large dog. I dont think there are wolves around my area?? so it must have been a domestic dog? No human tracks were around though.

A few pics anyway - I had to show off my homemade camo and shootin stick. :D Camo is just painter's coveralls with some felt pen art work. Made the shooting stick out of an old trekking pole and a nalgene bottle. Works pretty good so far, although the threads I tapped into the nalgene lexan will probably strip out sooner or later. Brought my 12ga (Grizzly 870), loaded with 1oz winny slugs, out with me today.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3931/img0819lp6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Think its domestic or a wolf?

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/7190/img0822hh1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Just a picture of my kit. The 12ga is a great bush gun with that little 12" barrel.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2776/img0824al0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's comming right for me!

rishu_pepper
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Love the camo ;)

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
The camo is nice.

Wft is with the last picture ?

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
haha just took it beside my car. i was alone so i was limited to as far from the camera as i could get in 10 seconds, which wasn't far in the snow. So i just hopped into the willows in the ditch and snapped a quick photo. I guess it would be the last thing the coyote would see haha.

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
No I just find it odd to post a pic of a barrel pointing at everyones face online, even if it is a picture.

Derp
01-09-2009, 05:12 PM
The camo is nice.

Wft is with the last picture ?

umm it shows the coyote's point of view before it embarks to coyote heaven. :razz:

Barracuda
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
pretty sure there would be wolves in your area

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
No I just find it odd to post a pic of a barrel pointing at everyones face online, even if it is a picture.

wasn't even thinkin of that :redface: I have one of my pointing it to the side as well, but its a bit blurry. haha just duck when you look at the pic.

Gunner
01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I know for a fact there are wolves in 3-26,my wife's uncle in Turtle Valley has seen them in his fields,I've seen plenty of tracks,and one of my partners shot a 100lb. male in Fly hills a month ago,the lucky bugger! Gunner

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I was huning the north slope above white lake (pari creek area).

This is the first large set of dog tracks ive seen in the area since i started hiking those roads last spring. I hope i get to see a wolf down here! I used to love going to the highway maintenance gravel pits near valemount and watching the wolves feed on the roadkills that were dumped off there.

And just a note because I have recieved a few PM's concerning the shotgun. It is Non-restricted with the 12" barrel. It is a factory barrel, so its legal. You CANNOT cut your shotgun's barrel down below 18.5" - it must be a factory made barrel to be below 18" and semi autos must have a barrel over 18" to stay NR, but this is a pump gun. Overall length is still above 26" so it is Non-restricted still.

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Are you using a Fox Pro?

Been meaning to get mine out to try calling some wolves...

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I WISH I had a fox pro! They are pretty $$$.

I was using a doe bleat reed call that I tweaked a bit. Kinda sounds like a younger coyote for distress and howls. I can make a rabbit distress call with it as well. I had brought my PDA out to try playing some mp3 calls, but it was too quiet. I need to find a megaphone with a plug in mic so i can hook the pda up to an amplified speaker.

Shermdog
01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Nice pic james, im thinkin next week sometime we should head out haha ill pm you when im good to go!!!

wolverine
01-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Seriously?......oh the unspeakable danger :razz:

todbartell
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
nice yotie gun :D

martyonthewater
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
wildfoot, do you find those tyvek shoot suits breath fairly well? would make for pretty noisy walking but be great for sittin still if they breath at all

Barracuda
01-09-2009, 07:57 PM
time to take your pet banting rooster out to the middle of a field and tether him up so he can get a bit of fresh air :twisted:

Will
01-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Tracks could be wolf....certainly more and more of them.

Yep I love the Coyote Gun ! :cool:

Guess you gotta get em in real close huh ? :razz:

;)

Wildfoot
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Yep I love the Coyote Gun ! :cool:

nice yotie gun :D

Haha yah the 12'er is a little bit of overkill for yotes, but I have not taken the shotgun out much this year and she was startin to get lonely. Plus, 2.75" slugs are cheaper than .303 br ammo at the moment. I dont think my 22lr would make a decent dog gun.

I'm switching between the 12 and my bow when I go out. I guess its close quarters coyote combat this winter :twisted:

wildfoot, do you find those tyvek shoot suits breath fairly well? would make for pretty noisy walking but be great for sittin still if they breath at all

The tyvek suit seems to be ok. I put it on once I hiked into my spot. I doubt it is too breatheable, but it did keep me dry and kept the wind out. They are not too durable and the range of movement is really limited. I did hike out with the coveralls on, but it was a short walk and I didnt really work up a sweat. I did find that the material was much quieter than I was expecting. Much less noise than my goretex shell. For $4 it seems to do its job perfectly... plus I had fun using my kindergarten art skillz to draw on the camo pattern. :mrgreen:

I had a decoy made out of some of my fly tieing feathers, but my cats got into it before I could even test it out!

hunter1947
01-10-2009, 06:29 AM
You seen nothing but just getting out was nice ,very nice camo gear you have on.