PDA

View Full Version : Elk Info Please

SUAFOYT
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm headining up to the Peace region next week on a LEH elk hunt. My wife and I each have an anterless tag and a friend's son is along with an any elk tag. We have taken advantage of the private land reservation system to give it a try. The land in question is described as Grant
Camping is permitted (no services)
Hunting on foot only
1420 Acres
Located in the Tate Creek Area south of Dawson Creek & Pouce Coupe via Highway 2, it is a mix of bush, clearing and a small amount of cultivation. Elk, moose, white tail and mule deer, however deer population appears reduced. There is sign of recent elk presence, but they are more prevalent when snow is on the ground.

What I need to know is are elk creatures of habit? If we see fresh looking sign(beds etc) on one day is there a good chance they will be back to the same areas the next day?

This is a first for us so any info is appreciated.

elkdom
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
good area for elk,"BUT" there is always a but!, incredible amount of gas exploration and police presence at this time, in short elk do not like to be disturbed, add to that a new element of hunting pressure since antlerless early GOS, the elk are very nocturnal although they remain in this area,human disturbances,the cold and bright nights of moonlight make it tough to see elk in legal shooting ours at this time ,in the area that you asked for information about, worth your while to have alternate options,,,

sawmill
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
My cousin just got back from there ,he called me last night but I have been so sick from the Flu I did not want to talk to any one,I`ll call him tonight and get back to you.

srupp
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
hmmmm WE have LEH FOR ELK also...write SLOWLY ...so we can understand where the elk are near DAWSON CREEK..

THANK YOU

Steven Rupp