PDA

View Full Version : Spatizi trails??

Dale
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Has anyone hiked the McEwan trail in Spatizi? I was hoping to hike into Cartmel Lake possibly. Looking at the backroad map book it shows the trail starts at the end of the Klappan River Rd. and on the east side of the Klappan river, just down the rail bed. Is it possible to cross the Klappan river without too much trouble??

25tikka
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM
You cross the Klappan on a bridge for the FSR. Trail head is marked.

Dale
01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
yup thinkin about sheep if i can score the draw? anyone care to share some more info on the area???

GoatGuy
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I'd hike in off eaglenest - opens up a pile more sheep country if you've got the time and the legs.

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 10:14 AM
What have the odds been for the LEH permits in Spatzizi? Are there any big animals still coming out of there? I just read the Tommy Walker book and now that area intrigues me. Would like to hike in there one year just to see it. But if going that far then might as well have some tags in my pocket.

riflebuilder
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
You need a Caribou tag if you are going in there

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
You need a Caribou tag if you are going in there

Is it not all LEH?

Kitimat Killer
01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Is it not all LEH?

yup it's all leh in there unless your on the klappan road then open but not till the 15th of aug

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Care to comment on my other questions earlier in the post?

GoatGuy
01-10-2009, 05:01 PM
What have the odds been for the LEH permits in Spatzizi? Are there any big animals still coming out of there? I just read the Tommy Walker book and now that area intrigues me. Would like to hike in there one year just to see it. But if going that far then might as well have some tags in my pocket.

Odds probably around 4:1 for sheep, low on moose, 7:1 on Caribou.

Depends on what you define as big for animals?

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Well Caribou pushing 400 would be real big. 160+ sheep as rare as they are. Never been much of a moose guy. Are the numbers of bou doing alright? For LEH is it really the best areas to be putting in for?

I would rather a chance at Dalls or a good area down south. Also there a few spots for big bou in other LEH areas. So would this be as good and worth putting in for?

GoatGuy
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Well Caribou pushing 400 would be real big. 160+ sheep as rare as they are. Never been much of a moose guy. Are the numbers of bou doing alright? For LEH is it really the best areas to be putting in for?

I would rather a chance at Dalls or a good area down south. Also there a few spots for big bou in other LEH areas. So would this be as good and worth putting in for?

There are certainly big bou. There's also plenty of spots that are GOS in region 6 to smack a big one. At 6:1 or 7:1 the odds aren't that great.

The collingwoods shoot good rams; they usually get one pushing 170 every year. There are also outfitters in region 6 who shoot good rams every year; some of them don't have websites. :wink: Other ones do and they put some of the pictures up.

Living where you do, you get the opportunity to hunt stone's regularly. You won't get to hunt white sheep if you don't put in for them. Most of the rocky hunts down south are nothing more than a dream.

To hunt in Spats you need to get an LEH either for sheep or bou. The chances of getting both at the same time are right up there with slim to none.

The choice is yours.

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
There are certainly big bou. There's also plenty of spots that are GOS in region 6 to smack a big one. At 6:1 or 7:1 the odds aren't that great.

The collingwoods shoot good rams; they usually get one pushing 170 every year. There are also outfitters in region 6 who shoot good rams every year; some of them don't have websites. :wink: Other ones do and they put some of the pictures up.

Living where you do, you get the opportunity to hunt stone's regularly. You won't get to hunt white sheep if you don't put in for them. Most of the rocky hunts down south are nothing more than a dream.

To hunt in Spats you need to get an LEH either for sheep or bou. The chances of getting both at the same time are right up there with slim to none.

The choice is yours.

I put in for the Dall's every year. Was thinking about LEH down south but like you said it is only a dream. The fact I can hunt Stone's anyways makes it tough to put in for LEH for Stone's. I know region 6 has been getting some nice rams. I was just wondering how Spatzizi was itself for sheep seeing as how it is all LEH.