PDA

View Full Version : Non lethal predator control

goatdancer
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Saw an interesting show on the tube last night. It related to the method that the Yukon F&W was using to try control predation on a rapidly dwindling herd of caribou. The herd is on the Yukon/Alaska border and has dropped down to about 300 animals. The main problem now is that the wolf pack in the area is targeting the newborns because the numbers of old/infirm has dropped with the population decline. The survival rate of the newborns is almost nil. The bios tranquilized the alpha male and did a snip job on him, then returned him to his pack. Since he is the one who breeds with the alpha female, no more babies. The pack still controls the area, thereby keeping other predators from moving in but in the meantime the pack does not continue growing. It will be interesting to see if this approach works in limiting the caribou decline.

BlacktailStalker
01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
That is interesting.
I know they did the opposite in AB a year or two ago by rocky mountain house.
I cant remember all the details but they culled 20something wolves in 2-3 packs and chopped the alpha males.
Something to do with the males roaming further and becoming more territorial etc and its supposed to keep the population down when the male takes over another pack. Same thing in the end I guess.

Wolves are like seals, they'll be back in a year.

PGK
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Saw it as well, and I believe this is also happening in the Chilcotin with some success. Personally, I feel it's just a way to avoid the political incorrectness of shooting them. I don't see how it's cost effective or feasible in the long term. But as said, wolves are wolves. They aren't going anywhere!

BiG Boar
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
:wink: I have never seen a wolf in the wild. I thought they were trying to protect the few wolves there were in this country....

mark
01-08-2009, 07:29 PM
:wink: I have never seen a wolf in the wild. I thought they were trying to protect the few wolves there were in this country....

I hope that winky smiley means your kidding!

MerrittBow
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I watched that to very cool to see how they're doing the predator control.
I would like to see a follow up made.
Be cool if it works maybe we could do that with other problem animals more south:-P

BCrams
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I actually wonder what happens when members of the wolf pack realize the 'alpha' etc is not able to produce babies? Do they 'overthrow' the alpha? Break off and form new packs?

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I actually wonder what happens when members of the wolf pack realize the 'alpha' etc is not able to produce babies? Do they 'overthrow' the alpha? Break off and form new packs?

I would be very worried of this as well. Animals adapt well and wolves seem to be the leaders in survival. I am sure the Alpha would not be the Alpha for long. Breaking up a pack would be very ineffective.

thatskindafunny
01-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I heard something about this around the chilcoton area. $5,000 to snip a wolf. So I heard. But even if you've been snipped it doesn't curb your appetite.

bridger
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Saw an interesting show on the tube last night. It related to the method that the Yukon F&W was using to try control predation on a rapidly dwindling herd of caribou. The herd is on the Yukon/Alaska border and has dropped down to about 300 animals. The main problem now is that the wolf pack in the area is targeting the newborns because the numbers of old/infirm has dropped with the population decline. The survival rate of the newborns is almost nil. The bios tranquilized the alpha male and did a snip job on him, then returned him to his pack. Since he is the one who breeds with the alpha female, no more babies. The pack still controls the area, thereby keeping other predators from moving in but in the meantime the pack does not continue growing. It will be interesting to see if this approach works in limiting the caribou decline.

the moe has been doing that in the kechika and gatag drainages for several years believe they quit last year doesn't appear to work as another pair goes off and starts another pack

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Just does not sound cost effective nor efficient. Probably works for a few months but when no pups come, the pack will adapt.

tomahawk
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't see where making the Alpha male impotent can make any difference to the Cariboo herd. Say the pack has 8 wolf now, 3 yrs from now it will be at 8 or a little less but in the meantime the pack is still eating the calves from the herd. This might work to decrease overall wolf numbers in the long run but I don't see any benefit short term.

hunter1947
01-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Yes this is very interesting info you found ,will be very interesting to see what the outcome will be on the caribou herd in the years to come.

Neutering the alpha male will not help the problem in a short time but will certainly help in the long run providing he continues to be the dominate male ????.

If the alpha male gets hurt and dies then there will be a new alpha male ,as for the money it took to neuter it goes up in smoke.

ElkMasterC
01-09-2009, 05:47 AM
.............I don't see any benefit short term.

Then you should go into Politics. ;-)

They're famous for short-term thinking.

I'm intrigued by the "Neuter the Alpha" experiments. To my inexperienced mind, it sounds viable. I'll call some Bio's, and if I get any answers, I'll post 'em.

Cheers.

hunter1947
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I just found out that Golden eagles take there share of new born sheep as for others.

sneg
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I think neutring not gonna work. Pack will throw A-male and history will repeat again.Somebody just making money on the issue.

open-sights
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I was thinking of getting the same thing done to myself, I figure that without that problem I would have twice as much time for hunting. Bet the Alpha male doesn't remain Alpha for long.

goatdancer
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
The whole thing might just be a way of keeping the greeners quiet. The bios were aware of the fact that they'd have to do it again in a few years when the alpha male was no longer alpha. I don't recall them mentioning the costs or the cost effectiveness of the whole operation. Still, an interesting experiment. Maybe they'll find that the only effective means of achieving their objective (saving the caribou) will come out of the end of a gun barrel. Hopefully it won't be too late for the caribou herd.

huntcoop
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Non lethal predator control, is that not an oxymoron?