PDA

View Full Version : Sheep harvest data region 7b 1999 to 2007

bridger
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
here is the data for the period of 1999 - 2007 2008 not yet available.

Sheep harvest has for the last 30 years in 7b been based on an age structure. Moe bilogists used the number of older rams in the harvest as an indicator of the status of the ram component in the overall population. Their benchmark is 8+ years. They felt that if 65% of the rams in the combined harvest (resident plus non resident totals) exceed ed 8 yrs things were fine. outfitter quotas were raised or lowered based on this formula. As you can see g/o's have done a really good job of harvesting older rams as have the residents for the most part. (their quotas depended on it) the one in three rule came in mainly as a concern for the number of young rams on the resident side of the equation. that didn't really work that well in my opinion as a lot of guys felt leh was around the corner and they should get a ram while the opportunity was available. I believe it was after the 2000 season that the rule was changed to allow hunters that harvested an old ram to hunt the following year. Those that shot young rams went back to the one in three. that seemed to work really well as the number of young rams taken by residents went down consideralby, but you still had the opportunity to go hunting. It was removed in either 2006 or 07 for reasons too complicted to get into on this post. please understand that i am posting this public info because i know sheep hunters will be interested and i really love sheep hunting. it is not meant in anyway to stir the res vs non resident pot simply informatin for discussion. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/7b_stone_sheep_harvest_1999_to_2007.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12313&size=big&cat=500)

bigwhiteys
01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for posting this info...

Carl

BCrams
01-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Good stuff.

Creeker
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Bridger, Interesting that the non res went from 120 to 81.

I also support the 1 in three if under 8 rule.

BCrams
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM

I also support the 1 in three if under 8 rule.

I wonder about the GO 'effort' for sheep. Lower harvest does not always mean GO had a tough go of it. Lower harvest by GO potentially could be the following or a collective of several:

- aging non-resident hunters = limted to what they can access / climb for rams??

- less effort on GO's part to fill quota??

- steady knowledgeable sheep guides who know what they're doing vs someone younger and newer to the game? Harder to find guys to fill this role these days??

- simply tougher hunting finding mature 8+ rams for that year (due to lamb recruitment in prior years, weather etc)??

- trying to reduce their harvest to get under resident harvest quota??

Is there more??

Creeker
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Most likely a combination of everything you posted.
I am really interested to see the 08 stas as well. I am sure the us dollar and economy would have some effect as well.

whitetailsheds
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow, in a nine year period, close to 2000 rams taken (res/ non-res). And the latest count/ inventory in 2007 was 5000. I asked this on the other thread, HOW RELIABLE ARE THESE COUNTS?

bigwhiteys
01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
HOW RELIABLE ARE THESE COUNTS?
Ask GoatGuy. He should be able to tell you within 30-40% accuracy. :razz:

Carl

bridger
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Wow, in a nine year period, close to 2000 rams taken (res/ non-res). And the latest count/ inventory in 2007 was 5000. I asked this on the other thread, HOW RELIABLE ARE THESE COUNTS?

they were taken by ministry of enviornment biologists by helicopter and are probably as accurate as you can get. do they see every sheep? no they don't. On the other had if the weather is good they also don't miss several thousand either. talking with outfitters and experienced resident sheep hunters and my own observations there is no doubt that sheep numbers are way down. one of my favortie sheep spots used to the in the besa river country. first time i went in there i saw over 40 full curl rams in about a week. hunting that same country now the outfitter ( a good one too) cannot consistently fill a 5 sheep quota and hasn't been able too for sometime. ditto the sikanni drainage and others

65T3
01-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Would you have data for MU 8-03?

bridger
01-08-2009, 04:24 PM

no sorry i don't have that check with the regional moe manager harvest data is public info and he should be able to give it to you if not let me know and maybe i can get it for you. wud b interested myself

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2009, 04:31 PM

Carl

And we would have more money for better inventories if we had more hunters.:-|

SSS

bigwhiteys
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
And we would have more money for better inventories if we had more hunters.

Less Sheep then ever before and we need more sheep hunters? Or "hunters" in general...? Are you going to be showing all of the new guys your sheep spots?

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM

I would doubt that the numbers for the Ashnola would fluctate as much as 7B as it's LEH as opposed to GOS.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Less Sheep then ever before and we need more sheep hunters? Or "hunters" in general...? Are you going to be showing all of the new guys your sheep spots?

Carl

Hunters in general.

SSS

bridger
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
And we would have more money for better inventories if we had more hunters.:-|

SSS

that is a problem for sure. i am heartened in the fact the ministry of enviornment has committed to the bcwf they will make a concerted effort to increae both hunter numbers and hunting opportunites some good changes in the works

goatdancer
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
bridger

are you getting this info off a website or do you have to get paper info from the MOE bios?

GoatGuy
01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Carl

What's 30-40% accuracy?

Skeena Hunter 1
01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=389946#post389946)
And we would have more money for better inventories if we had more hunters.:neutral:

SSS

that is a problem for sure. i am heartened in the fact the ministry of enviornment has committed to the bcwf they will make a concerted effort to increae both hunter numbers and hunting opportunites some good changes in the worksToday 03:37 PM

Kinda like the QC black bear issue, and Atlin caribou and sheep.:roll:

PGK
01-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Carl

How do you know there's less sheep than ever before??

Is it just me, or does this guy always sound like a know it all smartazz?

GoatGuy
01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Carl

There are plenty of lakes and areas that get little to no resident pressure.

There is certainly room for more sheep hunters as well.

I tell guys where to look for sheep all the time; whether they go or not is their decision. Rather see somebody head into a spot that doesn't get pressure and harvest a ram than sit at home.:razz:

I've got a buddy who does it all the time, rockies and stone's. Some of those pictures end up on this site. Not everybody's an exclusionist.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
How do you know there's less sheep than ever before??

That's what the inventories are showing....at least in areas where elk numbers have exploded.

SSS

bridger
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=389946#post389946)
And we would have more money for better inventories if we had more hunters.:neutral:

SSS

that is a problem for sure. i am heartened in the fact the ministry of enviornment has committed to the bcwf they will make a concerted effort to increae both hunter numbers and hunting opportunites some good changes in the worksToday 03:37 PM

Kinda like the QC black bear issue, and Atlin caribou and sheep.:roll:

unfortunately the qc black bear issue is a treaty negotiation and not much the fed can about that except lobby which is being done i think you will see lots of positive changes in region 6 in the next year or so concerning sheep and caribou

01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Great sheep threads you guys, thanks for posting Bridger.

Maybe this will make the long wait until spring a little more bearable.

PGK
01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
That's what the inventories are showing....at least in areas where elk numbers have exploded.

SSS

Show me tha numbas!
Harvest is down, but I don't think any of us will try to correlate that to numbers of critters on the landscape.

willy442
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I wonder about the GO 'effort' for sheep. Lower harvest does not always mean GO had a tough go of it. Lower harvest by GO potentially could be the following or a collective of several:

- aging non-resident hunters = limted to what they can access / climb for rams??

- less effort on GO's part to fill quota??

- steady knowledgeable sheep guides who know what they're doing vs someone younger and newer to the game? Harder to find guys to fill this role these days??

- simply tougher hunting finding mature 8+ rams for that year (due to lamb recruitment in prior years, weather etc)??

- trying to reduce their harvest to get under resident harvest quota??

Is there more??

I think you may be confusing your hunting methods with that of the guided hunter. Remember the guide usually has horses and transportation methods that allow an older paying client the luxary of rest while travelling, you walk. I have had very few clients over the years that were not in good enough shape to kill a Sheep. Just for example we once took a 39" x 11 year old Ram for a 83 year old rancher from South Dakota and a 42 x 10 year old for a 79 year old from California. The fact is the guide is better prepared than most hunting on thier own. The knowledge of area, where and when to climb all plays very critical part of being successful with some clients and others are capable of out walking guy's like you. If you look at the numbers posted by Bridger it is very clear that the guide is capable of out hunting the unguided period.

BCrams
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I think you may be confusing your hunting methods with that of the guided hunter. Remember the guide usually has horses and transportation methods that allow an older paying client the luxary of rest while travelling, you walk. I have had very few clients over the years that were not in good enough shape to kill a Sheep. Just for example we once took a 39" x 11 year old Ram for a 83 year old rancher from South Dakota and a 42 x 10 year old for a 79 year old from California. The fact is the guide is better prepared than most hunting on thier own. The knowledge of area, where and when to climb all plays very critical part of being successful with some clients and others are capable of out walking guy's like you. If you look at the numbers posted by Bridger it is very clear that the guide is capable of out hunting the unguided period.

Excellent points! I was just going off the top of my head with some theories which may or may not apply to any particular outfit.

A good chuckle regarding the out walking part but no doubt about it!! There are pretty amazingly fit individuals out there.

willy442
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
There are plenty of lakes and areas that get little to no resident pressure.

There is certainly room for more sheep hunters as well.

I tell guys where to look for sheep all the time; whether they go or not is their decision. Rather see somebody head into a spot that doesn't get pressure and harvest a ram than sit at home.:razz:

I've got a buddy who does it all the time, rockies and stone's. Some of those pictures end up on this site. Not everybody's an exclusionist.

Why do you always try and put your lack of knowledge out there in defense of your dreamt up scenario's?
You have a highly experienced and involved Resident Sheep Hunter now posting virtually the same info that others from the North East Slope have been posting for some time now and you still want to argue that your formula's are the CAT'S ASS. Can you not understand the simplest in formula's like Bridger posted for your benefit as well as info for others that fail to have the time or means to do the research.
It really is very plain and simple the Sheep on the North East Slope have been declining in numbers for some time now.
Luckily I was priviledged enough to have my guiding career span over a time when Sheep numbers were in excellent shape, agreed partially due to some methods of enhancement that we no longer have an opportunity to use as well as proper farming of the animals with in our guide area. However I guess that, by the numbers posted on here recently you were born at a time when the count was about 5000, where it still is today. My point being you have never seen anything else and have only heard about better times. To support your lack of knowing anything different you blame the decline on the oldtimers rather than the political, biological and monetary issue's that have really accelerated the decline. You won't listen to anyone that has varied views from your own on any subject let alone a post on Sheep.
Let me tell you that Bridger is a resident hunter that has as much of a passion for Sheep as myself and he has spent countless days and dollars working for you and I, the residents of this Province for many years now. Why do you not listen and learn something?:mad:

jml11
01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
one of my favortie sheep spots used to the in the besa river country. first time i went in there i saw over 40 full curl rams in about a week. hunting that same country now the outfitter ( a good one too) cannot consistently fill a 5 sheep quota and hasn't been able too for sometime.

I spent 100 days in this territory looking for sheep, most of the time with one of the guides who worked for that outfit, and during that time I only saw 4 legal rams! One of which was harvested on Aug 1 that year by a client. I thought he only took on 4 hunters each year and is why he never filled his 5 sheep quota. Unfortunately for the clients, some pretty marginal rams have come out of there over the last few years which may be on of the reasons why the outfitter moved on to a new territory.

BCrams
01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I spent 100 days in this territory looking for sheep, most of the time with one of the guides who worked for that outfit, and during that time I only saw 4 legal rams! One of which was harvested on Aug 1 that year by a client. I thought he only took on 4 hunters each year and is why he never filled his 5 sheep quota. Unfortunately for the clients, some pretty marginal rams have come out of there over the last few years which may be on of the reasons why the outfitter moved on to a new territory.

Same from the year before in the same area. Couple months afield and only a handful of rams to be found.

Lots of elk though!

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Same from the year before in the same area. Couple months afield and only a handful of rams to be found.

Lots of elk though!

Moose are down a bit in that area as well. Used to be just crawling with moose. Elk are surely the animal of abundance there.

bridger
01-08-2009, 08:35 PM

i forgot his quota was reduced to four doesn't matter he didn't fill it at the figure most of the time either. i know this outfitter really well and if he can't find sheep they aren't there simple as that

kennyj
01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info bridger.You started a very interesting post.
kenny

boxhitch
01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
.Maybe due strictly to the quotas being cut. Less hunters = less rams

Creeker
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I think the reason the GO's are getting less quotas is because the sheep are declining the way they are.

bridger
01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
[quote=boxhitch;390172]Maybe due strictly to the quotas being cut. Less hunters = less rams[/quote

I think it is important to understand that the quota is the number of rams the outfitters can harvest not the number of hunters they can take. for instance a g/o may have a quota of 10 rams but he can take any number of hunters until the quota is filled some take a lot more some a few more and some book the exact number of their quota. all depends on their business practice. the key is that the sucess rate is going down. that is a real key years ago when we had lots of sheep all the guides pretty well filled their quotas 100% now the sucess rate is 65-70% every year so all the other contributing factors such as bad weather, fewer hunters booked, new assistant guides all even out. the bottom line is that the sheep are not there like they were a few years ago, simple as that.

boxhitch
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Creeker, You would be wrong.
The quotas are being adjusted to coincide with the recently new Allocation Policy, splitting harvest between resident and Non-resident hunters. Do a search on this site for the full story.

And also some G/O's were adjusted , by the MOE Regional Manager, because he wanted to adjust them. Prior to the A.P.

boxhitch
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
for instance a g/o may have a quota of 10 rams but he can take any number of hunters until the quota is filled some take a lot more some a few more and some book the exact number of their quota. all depends on their business practice. Hard to imagine this going on, but I guess there are all types in the industry.
Bet they don't last long, when they are lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut.
I can see the reaction as he tells a client he can't go sheep hunting because the quota has been reached.

Creeker
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Creeker, You would be wrong.
The quotas are being adjusted to coincide with the recently new Allocation Policy, splitting harvest between resident and Non-resident hunters. Do a search on this site for the full story.

And also some G/O's were adjusted , by the MOE Regional Manager, because he wanted to adjust them. Prior to the A.P.

First off I don’t have to search this site for the reason the GO have less tags. Don’t insult me.

All I said is:

The res harvest is down because of a lot of different things. That I am sure if you do a search you can find out yourself and figure what you believe the biggest reason is.

This in itself reflects (as it should) the number of non res tags the GO get.

I think that most but not all ( some less informed) res hunters have to hunt certain areas where the sheep are declining more than in other areas. Which means they are harvesting less rams.

Most GOS are in more remote areas and are well equipped (which they should be) where they should be able to keep there harvest rates up. That’s why I said it was interesting why there numbers were down the way they are.

To say the Stone Sheep numbers over all are not in a Decline is to have your head in the sand.

GoatGuy
01-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Why do you always try and put your lack of knowledge out there in defense of your dreamt up scenario's?
You have a highly experienced and involved Resident Sheep Hunter now posting virtually the same info that others from the North East Slope have been posting for some time now and you still want to argue that your formula's are the CAT'S ASS. Can you not understand the simplest in formula's like Bridger posted for your benefit as well as info for others that fail to have the time or means to do the research.
It really is very plain and simple the Sheep on the North East Slope have been declining in numbers for some time now.
Luckily I was priviledged enough to have my guiding career span over a time when Sheep numbers were in excellent shape, agreed partially due to some methods of enhancement that we no longer have an opportunity to use as well as proper farming of the animals with in our guide area. However I guess that, by the numbers posted on here recently you were born at a time when the count was about 5000, where it still is today. My point being you have never seen anything else and have only heard about better times. To support your lack of knowing anything different you blame the decline on the oldtimers rather than the political, biological and monetary issue's that have really accelerated the decline. You won't listen to anyone that has varied views from your own on any subject let alone a post on Sheep.
Let me tell you that Bridger is a resident hunter that has as much of a passion for Sheep as myself and he has spent countless days and dollars working for you and I, the residents of this Province for many years now. Why do you not listen and learn something?:mad:

Too funny, Bridger and I know each other fairly well, as well as 6616. Bridger and I were just talking about sheep a couple of weeks ago and the history etc. :p Weird, I know!!!!!!!!

I've flown most of region 6, some spots a pile of times and there's some opportunity over there for residents who are willing to put some mileage under foot considering residents don't hunt most of that side.

I also have all the data bridger has and a bit more, but I don't post that stuff up. I have talked to him about sheep hunting in the past and all the things he fought so hard for. The story's a wee bit different from yours (I use wee sarcastically). He's got quite the resume when it comes to all the stuff he's done for resident sheep hunting - let me tell you.

I've also talked to a bunch of the retired g/os, guides, residents, pilots, COs, and managers from back in the 'glory days' to get a good feeling of what happened. Read the reports, and looked over the data.

So, you see, you're the only guy I don't bother listening to when it comes to the malarkey you put up for a multitude of reasons. The comment about residents shooting all the sows and nannies, which was completely wrong, was more than enough to get you figured out early and only re-enforce what I'd heard about you. Pull something out of the exit hole like that is more than enough for a write-off. That and the exclusionist attitude and chewing people out for shooting 7 yr olds, particularly when you've made that mistake as a professional.

I don't think I know more than everybody or what have you. Truth be told the reason I have opinions on this stuff is because of the people I ask and the things I read; I certainly wasn't there 30 years ago but between all the folks I've talked to and the things I've read and data I've seen I get a pretty good picture of what went down, who did what and why. Having a couple buddies who are bios and one who did a masters on stones, as well as doing the diddy on stone's economics helped too.

There's a reason Bridger's on here and it ain't because of my antics or history. :idea:

He's definitely a guy I listen to.

willy442
01-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Too funny, Bridger and I know each other fairly well, as well as 6616. Bridger and I were just talking about sheep a couple of weeks ago and the history etc. :p Weird, I know!!!!!!!!

I've flown most of region 6, some spots a pile of times and there's some opportunity over there for residents who are willing to put some mileage under foot considering residents don't hunt most of that side.

I also have all the data bridger has and a bit more, but I don't post that stuff up. I have talked to him about sheep hunting in the past and all the things he fought so hard for. The story's a wee bit different from yours (I use wee sarcastically). He's got quite the resume when it comes to all the stuff he's done for resident sheep hunting - let me tell you.

I've also talked to a bunch of the retired g/os, guides, residents, pilots, COs, and managers from back in the 'glory days' to get a good feeling of what happened. Read the reports, and looked over the data.

So, you see, you're the only guy I don't bother listening to when it comes to the malarkey you put up for a multitude of reasons. The comment about residents shooting all the sows and nannies, which was completely wrong, was more than enough to get you figured out early and only re-enforce what I'd heard about you. Pull something out of the exit hole like that is more than enough for a write-off. That and the exclusionist attitude and chewing people out for shooting 7 yr olds, particularly when you've made that mistake as a professional.

I don't think I know more than everybody or what have you. Truth be told the reason I have opinions on this stuff is because of the people I ask and the things I read; I certainly wasn't there 30 years ago but between all the folks I've talked to and the things I've read and data I've seen I get a pretty good picture of what went down, who did what and why. Having a couple buddies who are bios and one who did a masters on stones, as well as doing the diddy on stone's economics helped too.

There's a reason Bridger's on here and it ain't because of my antics or history. :idea:

He's definitely a guy I listen to.

Lets go over this again. I also know Bridger and many others that have worked hard on various hunting issue's. My referal to you not listening is again very clear in this post of yours. Since when was region 6 on the North East Slope of the Rockies. I have never spoke of region 6 because I have no idea what takes place there. You've also gone back to replaying your assumption and interpetation of what I said. I think it is time you pulled your head out of your ass and paid attention to what many more knowledgeable than yourself have to say. Then maybe when asked a question you will be able to answer it directly rather then twist it around and throw it back out there, thats what politicians do and we really don't have any more room for them in game management.

If you actually have all the same info as Bridger, please tell my why the stats you always post fail to resemble or even be close to what has recently been posted. I think alot of members on here have become alot more knowledgable about the issue's and harvest in region 7. This wasn't accomplished by any cut and paste article of post of yours.

If that is how you need to make your self look knowledgable, how about sticking to the Seal hunt or Dicky birds that you also cut and paste articals about. Then the Sheep hunters can take care of thier interests.

BCRiverBoater
01-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I can now see why we may be in the mess we are in. Every time I read these sheep posts it becomes more clear to.

When it comes to sheep, it always ends in a fight. That is proven in this forum every time there is a sheep thread. When you hear about talks between biologists, politicians, G/O's and residents...guess what? It turns into an argument.

For decades there has been an age old fight over the matter. But guess what? Everyone thinks they have great ideas on what has happened and what needs to happen. These same people think everyone else is always wrong. The parties involved spend so much time arguing and trying to prove each other wrong that they forget why they are meeting in the first place. There is a major problem and every one knows it. So everyone sucked it up and get over their ego's and work together and fix the damn problem.

This age old problem of G/O's vs. resident vs allocation vs. permits has never gone away. The age old fight of predation and habitat control has never gone away. Everyone is more worried about admitting mistakes and admitting someone else has a good point than about getting our sheep back. They are also more worried about ones feelings over harsh measures yet continue to ignore the sheep themselves and the industry it provides and joy it brings to the purest sheep hunter.

Why does everyone need to argue? Suck it up and read others point of view as it is a right in our country. Get over it and move on and keep things productive. I laugh at how people complain about how someone writes something or how they respond to one another yet they turn around and do the exact same thing. I think by definition you may say hypocrite? Not sure but maybe?

Just my 2 cents...can't wait for someone to read this and analyze it and rip it apart rather than contribute something meaningful to this website like it was originally intended for. The difference is I will read it...and laugh it off and not respond to continue the fight.

Like I said...this thread is a perfect example of the meetings/discussions that go on by the people that are in power to make the necessary changes to bring back our sheep.

whitetailsheds
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Thank you Rodney King! You're not married? Girlfriend? Good friends? Never had a spat? Individuals are defending thier POV, they're passionate about the topic. Good on them, and it's all about sheep. I've got a strong Scottish background and I've never heard so much passion for sheep than on here.
Granted Riverboater, the name calling and deteriorating dialogue sidetracks everything, and yes, childish, but ultimately the increasing heat is for one thing. Laugh at some of the antics on here, or don't read them.....

BCRiverBoater
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I have been laughing at all these sheep posts for years. Never cease to amaze me.

No doubt there is passion for sheep on this website. I am a sheep hunter as well.

But the bureaucrats and parties involved also have some of this passion and just continue to fight and yet fail to produce results.

I do laugh at the antics...I just wish the others would do the same and stop the useless name calling and telling others they are wrong and I am right crap!

bridger
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I have been laughing at all these sheep posts for years. Never cease to amaze me.

No doubt there is passion for sheep on this website. I am a sheep hunter as well.

But the bureaucrats and parties involved also have some of this passion and just continue to fight and yet fail to produce results.

I do laugh at the antics...I just wish the others would do the same and stop the useless name calling and telling others they are wrong and I am right crap!
if you have some ideas on how we can increase the sheep across the province i am sure we will all listen. back in the 80's the goabc, bcwf and moe got together and launched a major predator program that resulted in the great sheep hunting we all enjoyed for a few years. i agree arguing amongst our selves is counter productive, but you must understand that international hunting companies that make up a lot of the present guiding industry are not of the same mold as the old time outfitters. the group of original guides that formed the early guiding industry in the north in my opinion did more for wildlife through their own private initiatives than the governmnet ever has. the government put a stop to that and it has been down hill ever since. i am optimistic that with our new allocation policy coming into place will level the playing field and give resident hunters the fair shake they haven't had in the past. the bcwf and the goabc have also co operated a lot on rasing funds for prescribed burns etc over the years so you are not completely correct when you say everything ends in a fight. as far as the bantering that goes on on this site it isn't serious there are a lot of really level guys posting on here those are the ones you want to pay attention too. sorry is this sounds like a lecture it really isn't meant to be.

jml11
01-09-2009, 10:32 AM
i forgot his quota was reduced to four doesn't matter he didn't fill it at the figure most of the time either. i know this outfitter really well and if he can't find sheep they aren't there simple as that

Agreed I was unimpressed with the lack of mature rams. The guide and me once went 9 days with only seeing one ewe with a lamb, in a area he has guided many hunters to sheep...

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Agreed I was unimpressed with the lack of mature rams. The guide and me once went 9 days with only seeing one ewe with a lamb, in a area he has guided many hunters to sheep...

See many elk??

SSS

BCRiverBoater
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
No problem Bridger. I respect your opinion as you are more in the loop than most and also put more time into helping with conservation than many. My point about the organizations fighting was most likely over stated. I was going more on the arguments that arise over the G/O and residents. Everyone wants to reach the common goal but they do not agree on how to get there. The big arguments come with the hunting community verse the environmentalists (to put it lightly). We all know what worked in the past but of course we can not get there again in the same manner.

I personally cannot add too many more ideas that have not already been discussed. Wolf kills would be the one that no one wants to touch.

The above 2 comments were geared more to the bickering or personal attacks that are happening on this site. But I know the debates sometimes get quite heated when other organizations get together to come to some sorts of resolutions. Everyone has the best of intentions but it is sometimes hard to voice ones opinion without getting worked up.

I also know the old timers really see this in a different light then the newer breed of international companies. They are or were in the business for completely different reasons and they have different ideas of what needs to be done. Several of my relatives have owned numerous areas since the 50's - 60's and guided their whole lives.

I was just mentioning that this site is like most meetings. You get that many people together that have strong, passionate feelings about anything and the debates will get very heated.

We have made some great strides and the allocation policy should help. We just need to get rid of those darn wolves and maybe lower the numbers of animals competing for the wintering grounds.

jml11
01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
See many elk??

SSS

Not in the specific area we couldn't find the sheep for those 9 days, but there where quite a few in the territory as a whole. We always spotted/ran into them at the tops of the mountains where the sheep should have been.

BCrams
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
It was quite a spectacle to creep over an alpine ridge to peek into a known ram basin to see no rams but a pile of bull elk bedded all over the place.

BCRiverBoater
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
We were on the Muskwa one year and the same thing happened. No sheep anywhere...a few goats at tree line then about 30 elk on the skyline.

Creeker
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
The Bison as well.. Are on top of those mountians and bowls. It was amazing to see the impact they have made in that country.

GoatGuy
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Lets go over this again. I also know Bridger and many others that have worked hard on various hunting issue's. My referal to you not listening is again very clear in this post of yours. Since when was region 6 on the North East Slope of the Rockies. I have never spoke of region 6 because I have no idea what takes place there. You've also gone back to replaying your assumption and interpetation of what I said. I think it is time you pulled your head out of your ass and paid attention to what many more knowledgeable than yourself have to say. Then maybe when asked a question you will be able to answer it directly rather then twist it around and throw it back out there, thats what politicians do and we really don't have any more room for them in game management.

If you actually have all the same info as Bridger, please tell my why the stats you always post fail to resemble or even be close to what has recently been posted. I think alot of members on here have become alot more knowledgable about the issue's and harvest in region 7. This wasn't accomplished by any cut and paste article of post of yours.

If that is how you need to make your self look knowledgable, how about sticking to the Seal hunt or Dicky birds that you also cut and paste articals about. Then the Sheep hunters can take care of thier interests.

I only post some of the information and data that is public, most of it is not public; Bridger was there as a volunteer so he can distribute information.

Who do you think I've learned this stuff from? ;-)

Bridger's on here for a reason - tread lightly.

kgriz
01-09-2009, 11:28 AM
So you guys are suggesting that throwing out my harvest questionaire yearly doesn't help the matter??? lol
I've never seen so much name dropping and "I have this job, or I have this degree BS". Please......if anything this site has turned me off of sheep-hunting not improved it. The eliteist attitudes that many show on here in there cliques and clubs is why I pray not to run into anybody in the mountains when I'm there.

willy442
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I only post some of the information and data that is public, most of it is not public; Bridger was there as a volunteer so he can distribute information.

Who do you think I've learned this stuff from? ;-)

Bridger's on here for a reason - tread lightly.

I would not even question Bridger mentoring you and would compliment him for trying to teach you something. The fact is, I question the learning part. As for the information he posted, I used to have all that also and garbaged it after we got out of the business, thinking the new groups out there could take care of things where we left off. I've lost that avenue of thinking after seeing what is now happening. As for treading lightly, when it comes to Stone Sheep, I will not. Not even by the great Goat Guy's request. I think you should tread lightly and start learning or Bridger may find someone else to mentor.:smile:

Ambush
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I love the mountains and I love sheep hunting and sheep. I wish that I could have been on one of those month long hunts with Jack O'conner in the "Glory Days". But I wasn't. I can read about them and dream about them. When I'm on a mountain, I can even pretend a little if I like.

But the truth is this is now and this is the oppurtunities that we have. We should do our best to preserve what we have. But we must also realize that the natural world is in a continual state of flux. Species ebb and surge, and change. People were excited about the elk population and the hunting oppurtunities. Ditto whitetails. Now it's too much of a good thing.
The coveted buffalo LEH!! Those same elk and buffalo are eating the sheep out of their homes.

There were very few moose in Reg. 7A before logging, but lots of cariboo. They, along with grizzlies were the guides staples. Now moose are the normal target and cariboo are on the threatened list. And this happened in the lifetime of a middle aged person.

Sheep habitat has changed in recent years. Wolf populations seem to be at an all time high. Although hunting has an affect, I think it is minimal. Hunters don't kill a young ewe before it can produce several lambs. But wolves do! Hunters don't destroy {by eating} the critical feed supplies that a herd of rut ravaged rams need to suvive the winter. But elk do!

Is it to late to turn back the tide. Likely. Once we screw up nature, She often bites us hard for our misdirected efforts. Think about carp or starlings or rabbits in Australia. Climates are also continualy fluctuating. sometimes over several hundred years, as well as extreme mini-cycles. Whatever affects food supplies affects the animals.

Sheep hunters are often their own worst enemy. Passionate and secretive, guarding their hard won knowledge. "you want to be a sheep hunter, learn the hard way like I did" So not many new die-hard sheep hunters. Way more people are excited about the elk because they're attainable and accessable. And, heck, people will tell you where they are!

Let's face it. Most hunters are impressed by sheep. But most hunters don't really seriously think they will ever hunt sheep. Just a pleasant dream. Some try once, but don't catch the "Bug". For others, it's just not worth the investment of gear and time and effort.

I will hunt sheep as long as it's legal and I have the legs for it. Maybe my Glory Days will pale in comparison to those of the recent past, but they are what I have and I will enjoy them to the fullest. Could be that the next generation will sit around their camps and talk about what it would have been like to be around when you were allowed to hunt sheep. They might talk about a dad or an uncle that got a ram, "back in the good old days".

The relatively few sheep hunters that there are had better learn to get along. Seems right now that we are fiddling while Rome burns.

For those that are giving back, I thank you for your efforts.

ThinAir
01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I love the mountains and I love sheep hunting and sheep. I wish that I could have been on one of those month long hunts with Jack O'conner in the "Glory Days". But I wasn't. I can read about them and dream about them. When I'm on a mountain, I can even pretend a little if I like.

But the truth is this is now and this is the oppurtunities that we have. We should do our best to preserve what we have. But we must also realize that the natural world is in a continual state of flux. Species ebb and surge, and change. People were excited about the elk population and the hunting oppurtunities. Ditto whitetails. Now it's too much of a good thing.
The coveted buffalo LEH!! Those same elk and buffalo are eating the sheep out of their homes.

There were very few moose in Reg. 7A before logging, but lots of cariboo. They, along with grizzlies were the guides staples. Now moose are the normal target and cariboo are on the threatened list. And this happened in the lifetime of a middle aged person.

Sheep habitat has changed in recent years. Wolf populations seem to be at an all time high. Although hunting has an affect, I think it is minimal. Hunters don't kill a young ewe before it can produce several lambs. But wolves do! Hunters don't destroy {by eating} the critical feed supplies that a herd of rut ravaged rams need to suvive the winter. But elk do!

Is it to late to turn back the tide. Likely. Once we screw up nature, She often bites us hard for our misdirected efforts. Think about carp or starlings or rabbits in Australia. Climates are also continualy fluctuating. sometimes over several hundred years, as well as extreme mini-cycles. Whatever affects food supplies affects the animals.

Sheep hunters are often their own worst enemy. Passionate and secretive, guarding their hard won knowledge. "you want to be a sheep hunter, learn the hard way like I did" So not many new die-hard sheep hunters. Way more people are excited about the elk because they're attainable and accessable. And, heck, people will tell you where they are!

Let's face it. Most hunters are impressed by sheep. But most hunters don't really seriously think they will ever hunt sheep. Just a pleasant dream. Some try once, but don't catch the "Bug". For others, it's just not worth the investment of gear and time and effort.

I will hunt sheep as long as it's legal and I have the legs for it. Maybe my Glory Days will pale in comparison to those of the recent past, but they are what I have and I will enjoy them to the fullest. Could be that the next generation will sit around their camps and talk about what it would have been like to be around when you were allowed to hunt sheep. They might talk about a dad or an uncle that got a ram, "back in the good old days".

The relatively few sheep hunters that there are had better learn to get along. Seems right now that we are fiddling while Rome burns.

Well said...I agree 100%

willy442
01-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Excellent post and I agree top to bottom:sad:

GoatGuy
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

well put..........

01-10-2009, 12:51 AM

Best sheep opinion post of the year Stringfling...I tip my hat to you.

BCRiverBoater
01-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Excellent post. I like to see everyone is actually agreeing with a post. Nicely done as it does not happen very often.

BCrams
01-10-2009, 10:18 AM

A great collective summary from everything that has been said about sheep from different sources into one post! Well done.

budismyhorse
01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Great post.

alright, next is the million dollar question?? WHAT SHOULD WE DO???

nobody seems to talk about it much.

From Stringflings post, which we all loved, he seems to point out that wolves and elk are what is currently causing problems....we've established that........ok, now what?

I can't speak for what is going on up north so I would love to hear what is being done, proposed, talked about....anything.

325 wsm
01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Here's what's going on up north ( Yukon). Every year the sheep populations change a bit. Weather, predators and people all affect them.
Google search..."your yukon:sheep population comes in bursts". This may help to fill in a couple of the blanks by reading this article. But remember we don't have a problem with a rapidly expanding elk population and our transplanted bison have yet to bother any serious amount of "sheep country".
Also just to let you know, there are many mountains in the Yukon that barely go above treeline that contain healthy herds of stone and dall sheep. The rams (especially the stones) can be hard to find because they live in the timber and willows
Thanks to Bridger for posting this and to the rest for adding what they did. Very useful info.

bridger
01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
in respone to whitetails post here is the status of any changes to the stone sheep harvest regs as I understand the situation others may have different info. In 2007 the bcwf, the goabc, and the moe agreed on a new provincial allocation policy that determines the share fo the allowable harvest assigned to each residency group. The policy was negotiated over a 2 1/2 period.
The new policy guarantees resident hunters a minimun of 60% of the annual allowable harvest and a maximum of 80% for all sheep species and sheep hunts in the province. Other species have other percentages. For the most part the policy is in effect now. It was not fully implemented in region 7b for stones. At that time in region 7b the total non resident sheep quota was 137 out of an annual allowable harvest of 181. Full implementation of the policy would have with one swipe of the pen reduced the total quota to 70 rams. when the sheep outfitters in 7b were informed of the new quota levels believe me you could not hear a pin drop in the room. It really hit the fan and from their point of view understandable. When the smoke cleared it was decided that the quotas would be reduced by 20% in 2007 (they were) and a the remainder of the reduction be put into place in 2012. This would allow the outfitters time to adjust to the reality of the new policy. the bcwf was given a letter signed by the minister of enviorment guaranteeing this would happen and that no changes to resident allocation would be made before that time.

Region 6 is another matter. Incredibly the regional bio is has never determined a finite number for the annual allowable harvest. relying instead on the age structure of rams in the harvest. That in itself is not all bad, however, it resulted in the outfitter quotas being raised on a somewhat regular basis until it reached the present level of 140. the annual non resident harvest is 70. I believe that residents take about 25% of the allowable harvest in region 6. The bcwf,moe, and goabc are presently working on a stone sheep harvest strategy that will allow resident hunters to acheive their share of the harvest. It appears that competition from guide outfitters and somewhat restricted access to hunt areas are working against resident hunters in region 6 and hopefully those issues will be resoved in the not too distant future. As a first step the moe has for the past two winters carried out sheep inventory flights which should result in an established annual allowable harvest. Once that is determined the real fun will begin. I firmly believe that every resident hunter should belong to the bcwf so their voices can be heard in matters such as this. I am convinced if it were not for the efforts of the bcwf resident stone sheep would have been put on limited entry years ago with more that 50% of the allowable harvest going to non residents. I know some of us think belonging to any organization is a pain. I believe it is necessary. good hunting

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

whitetailsheds
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Great post.

alright, next is the million dollar question?? WHAT SHOULD WE DO???

nobody seems to talk about it much.

From Stringflings post, which we all loved, he seems to point out that wolves and elk are what is currently causing problems....we've established that........ok, now what?

I can't speak for what is going on up north so I would love to hear what is being done, proposed, talked about....anything.

I think this is the first step in action, keeping the infomation flowing. Bridger has done an awesome job of that.
Then being involved with whatever organization one may belong to - BCWF, local sportman's club's, WSS (all of which I belong to). And just being a voice, try to influence the decision makers on anything that strongly influences us.
I know Jim (Deaddog) has been great about organizing meetings in PG. Thought maybe a bunch of us Reg. 7 guys should get together sometime?

boxhitch
01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
the MOE does not think the current populations are anything to get too worried about. The current numbers reflect the pop. numbers of 'pre-wolf control' days.(if they can be called reliable).

The MOE currently has no plan for 'recovery' as they don't have a target population number.

The Sheep Meetings in PG a couple of years ago never came out with a target number, but they had recommendations to try to maximize the population where possible. Recommendations included increase harvest of competeeing species on habitat, improved habitat through proper burn initiatives, mapping of critical habitat, etc

willy442
01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I firmly believe that every resident hunter should belong to the bcwf so their voices can be heard in matters such as this. I am convinced if it were not for the efforts of the bcwf resident stone sheep would have been put on limited entry years ago with more that 50% of the allowable harvest going to non residents. I know some of us think belonging to any organization is a pain. I believe it is necessary. good hunting.

Well said Bridger, those that are not members are uaually out of the loop of what's going on and do the most crying on a site like this. Alot said for the old saying "you get back what you put in"

boxhitch
01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I think this is the first step in action, keeping the infomation flowing. Bridger has done an awesome job of that.
?This is nothing new. The GOABC started the ball rolling, but the momentum is diminished.

Presentations have been made to the MOE, but they don't seem interested., enough to do anything.

willy442
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
the MOE does not think the current populations are anything to get too worried about. The current numbers reflect the pop. numbers of 'pre-wolf control' days.(if they can be called reliable).

The MOE currently has no plan for 'recovery' as they don't have a target population number.

The Sheep Meetings in PG a couple of years ago never came out with a target number, but they had recommendations to try to maximize the population where possible. Recommendations included increase harvest of competeeing species on habitat, improved habitat through proper burn initiatives, mapping of critical habitat, etc

Boxhitch; This is not new, the moe has been making recommendations for years. This don't mean they will be implemented. The resident has to get behind them and push when they have a reasonably good idea or it will die out and the end result is nothing happening in the way of change.

358mag
01-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Carl
depends what he's been drinking !!!! hee hee hee

BCRiverBoater
01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Then being involved with whatever organization one may belong to - BCWF, local sportman's club's, WSS (all of which I belong to). And just being a voice, try to influence the decision makers on anything that strongly influences us.
I know Jim (Deaddog) has been great about organizing meetings in PG. Thought maybe a bunch of us Reg. 7 guys should get together sometime?

Would be a great idead to get the 7B boys together for a soda or two. There is ton of us on here from Dawson, Chetwynd and FSJ. Might need to start a new thread to see what sort of interest there is.

GoatGuy
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Boxhitch; This is not new, the moe has been making recommendations for years. This don't mean they will be implemented. The resident has to get behind them and push when they have a reasonably good idea or it will die out and the end result is nothing happening in the way of change.

That sums it up pretty well. If you want to get something going people need to push and be there for the implementation - that's the hardest part.

It's a lot easier being tossed around in the waves than making your own.