PDA

View Full Version : GPS...now what?

Jager
01-08-2009, 08:57 AM
My wife got me a Garmin 60Cx for christmas and I've been 'fiddlin' with it off and on since. Can anyone recommend some GPS sites, maps, books, etc. that can help me get the most out of my new 'toy'? What works for you and what doesn't? Please help this GPS noobie!

Trailmaster
01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I found the best way to learn to use it is learn what button does what and go out and use it, try out everything. The garmin maps are some of the best topo maps you can get on a GPS, and a lot less hassle to use. I run mine with the track up, others like to have the map north up, I find track up is easier to follow.

tuchodi
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I found the best way to learn to use it is learn what button does what and go out and use it, try out everything. The garmin maps are some of the best topo maps you can get on a GPS, and a lot less hassle to use. I run mine with the track up, others like to have the map north up, I find track up is easier to follow.

Trailmaster is correct. I didn't find any real good book on using the GPS but just started using it everyday on my walks and even in my truck. This gets you familiar with all the funtions and you can't mess it up except to erase some of your waypoints which as you use it more you will find out when you can do certain things with the GPS and when not to. This will make your transition over to your favorite hunting and fishing holes real easy. Just keep playing.

308BAR
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Start with the manual read it from the front to back. Use each feature, nothing better than to have practical experience with the GPS. Push every button and menu you won't be able to mess it up. Key things to learn, TRACKING and WAYPOINTS. With these to items you'll find your way home.

Choose a coordinate system that matches up with your paper maps. Geocaching sites do have some resources on how to use certain GPSs. Good luck and have fun with it.

cowboyup
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Take up geocaching , Its fun and its free ! You will learn lots on how to use your new toy.There are hundreds of caches hidden all over the Island, and over 700,000 world wide. www.geocaching.com

goatdancer
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Take up geocaching , Its fun and its free ! You will learn lots on how to use your new toy.There are hundreds of caches hidden all over the Island, and over 700,000 world wide. www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com)

x2 Great way to get the feel of the new toy. Read the manual 3 or 4 times, even though men don't need to rear instructions.

Mauser98
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
You'll enjoy your GPS a lot more if you have maps installed on it. In order to get maps onto the GPS, You'll need Garmin's Mapsource program installed on your computer. If you just have Mapsource without the Garmin maps you can download tpog maps from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ and install them on the computer then use Mapsource to upload chosen Ibycus maps to the GPS.

Another tip that will improve accuracy and sensitivity under a tree canopy of the GPS is to operate it in 'Normal' mode rather than 'Battery Saver' mode.

Main Menu>Setup>System>GPS

I've found lots of good information on the Groundspeak forum that is accessible from Geocache.com. If you sign up for Geocache.com you're automatically signed up for Groundspeak.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/

Jager
01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I've tried to open http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ but it just doesn't seem to want to connect. I guess I'll try again later. Does the BC Rec Atlas or Backroads Mapbook offer any mapping for gps's? If so where can you get them? What about the govt? I spent some time looking on the internet today without any luck.

NaStY
01-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Make sure you set it up the compass first or it will take you the wrong way around......

Trailmaster
01-09-2009, 12:27 AM
The backroads maps are gps compatible but they are not as good as the garmin maps.

husky30-06
01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I just finished setting up my buddies GPS with maps and such. To bad you were not closer I would give you a hand getting going. You should try to get a hold of the trip and waypoint manager from Garmin, will be invaluable when organizing your tracks and waypoints. Also I believe ther might be a way to load the maps onto the GPS with out map source. I am going to play around with my program to see if I can get the process figured. Good luck. I will be ordering my new 60csx very soon here and send my Legend in for repairs, just have to get it through the finance dept....... THE WIFE!!!!!! :razz::razz::razz::razz: