PDA

View Full Version : Does sex make a diffrence?

Remington
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Ive heard people who claim that a Female dog makes a better hunter anyone know if their is any truth to this? I Hunt with 2 labs both are Male and they are both excellent hunting dogs. Ive been looking at getting a new puppy not a lab, but I was thinking of trying out a female instead as my Grandfather swears they make a better hunting dog.

kinderdoggin
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I didn't vote because there isn't a 'no difference' option.... with retrievers, which is where my experience lies, I have not found a significant difference between males and females. Pick the gender that is easiest for you to live with, or better yet, pick the puppy who shows the most promise as a youngster regardless of sex.

JMO,
Erin

Slime green cat
01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I didn't vote either because I have never had a female dog, so I have no first hand experience .
I have heard many times though that a female is easier to train etc ...
Having said that ... I have known alot of great male hunting dogs , my GSP included :smile:

Lone Ranger
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I didn't vote as I don't have a preference. IMHO, if you spay/neuter a dog, there's not really a big difference between the two sexes in attitude afterwards. I have found that females tend to calm down and pay a little more attention to training, but you get good and bad in any sex and breed. LR

Dirty
01-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Males are physically stronger in some cases.

GoatGuy
01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
We've had both, there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference.

If they aren't fixed they can both be a nightmare.

Males are generally going to be bigger.

Females don't pi** on everything and they won't hump your leg (at least they shouldn't).

oldtimer
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I have had Labs all my life and it is my experience that a neutered female is the best there is. Females settle down earlier in life. In my opinion a female should have one litter then spay her. I had 3 female labs like that and they were super dogs. Mike

hannibal
01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
no preference, I've had both.

Chuck
01-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Of all the bird dogs our family has had over the years, we all agree that females are better in most ways. I personally feel that females are a bit smarter than males too. Can't say anything about cat or bear dogs - never owned one.

wolverine
01-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I have had Labs all my life and it is my experience that a neutered female is the best there is. Females settle down earlier in life. In my opinion a female should have one litter then spay her. I had 3 female labs like that and they were super dogs. Mike

Okay, you got me a little confused here.... you can neuter a male or spay a female.... so what do you mean? You like spayed female best or a neutered male? Although males are generally stronger I find that the females are not as scatter brained or overly aggressive like male retrievers can sometimes be. The best dogs that I have ever seen have all been females.

dutchie
01-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I sprung for a Male because there is approximatly 1 month a year that you get a real bitch of a female... That is were the term "bitchy" comes from.

It is very simple, you take hormones away, you take away traits of the dog, so if it is a nutered male or or a spayed female they will perform the same in the feild. If you are going to leave the animal intact, the male will have more desire to hunt. It is kind of like men and hunting, all having thier exceptions tho.

I have been told that if you let your dog mark his territory, then you will get a dog that will wizz on every tree, pole, hydrant, foot, leg ect, the dog sees.

At a young age if you correct him from marking and you stay on him, he will not wizz everywere, breaking that problem. That is being the Alpha to the dog. Make him know it is not his territory to mark, he lives to please you, you don't live to please him.

In Summary, this is what i have been told from 2 breeders, i have not researched into it alot further other then what they said. if you are going to leave the dog intact, the male will have more drive. If you are going to spay or neuter, then it is size of the animal that is the big question.

dutchie

Mr. Dean
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I think it's mostly dependant on whether or not a male has a type A or B personality.

BlacktailStalker
01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Females are generally easier to handle and mature sooner.
Males seem to have more grit and a "good male" often outworks a "good female" but the variables are too great to live by any of this I think and the opposite proves true to just as many I'm sure.

I've got a 6.5 year old extremely well trained doberman and she can be very testing (lap dog attention whore extraordinaire)
Also have 2 7.5 month old english/walker crosses (both intact), the male isnt as focused (still does it all) and is a big lush for attention whereas the female just wants to hunt, really thinks things out and can NOT be sidetracked/distracted right now, no time for affection unless its on her schedule.... Go figure.

Also "share" a 4.5 year old bluetick who handles very well for me (neutered) but is a bag of hammers for my buddy (I've spent way more time with him, I think this question has a lot to do with the relationship you have with your dog)

So right now I'd lean towards a female hunting dog I guess.

riflebuilder
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I have had great dosg of both sexes, The main difference between the females and males I have noticed is that females are more likely to not think of themseves as the domminant partner in the hunting relationship and tend to be more obedient. the males sometimes try to be the Alpha and need more reminding that they are not the boss. Some good points to the males are they tend to be hardier and have more stamina. All told though I now prefee the female pointers as they are smaller and hunt a bit slower. I have mostly had brittanies and GSP or GWP's. My current dog is a GWP and she is about 2 and turning into a great dog.