PDA

View Full Version : book suggestions

bckev
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I just inherited a 4 year old lab and I think I would like to try training her to retrieve does anyone have any suggestions of a good book or video to learn from. Also, does anyone have experience with trained retrievers going after chickens when they have been trained. At this time she doesn't bother the chickens or the ducks but I wonder if this will change when she has been trained to retrieve birds. Thanks for any help.

Jimbo
01-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Does your dog have any hunting experience ? Ever been exposed to the sound of gunfire ? Ever picked up a dead bird ?
Most labs have some hunting and retreiving instincts. Let her have a sniff and a taste of a bird wing. Give it a toss and see if she will pick it up and bring it to you.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Kody94
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I like Wolters' books the best.

KodiakHntr
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Started my chocolate lab out by squeezing some bottled duck stink onto a rag and tying it around a plastic bowling pin...

Didn't do a lot other than teach him some basic hand signals by hiding the pin and some treats out of his sight and sending him out to look. When he slowed down enough to look at me I'd use the signal to wave him out. Didn't take him long to figure it out.

You'll probably be suprised at home much natural talent the dog has.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Gun Dog... The author slips me at the moment.

Kody94
01-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Gun Dog... The author slips me at the moment.
Thats Wolters. :) He has a bunch of others as well...eg. water dog...

Ben Fougere
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I just started reading a book called "Gun Dogs" and it's by John R. Falk

Check out your local library.

Kasomor
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I just inherited a 4 year old lab and I think I would like to try training her to retrieve does anyone have any suggestions of a good book or video to learn from. Also, does anyone have experience with trained retrievers going after chickens when they have been trained. At this time she doesn't bother the chickens or the ducks but I wonder if this will change when she has been trained to retrieve birds. Thanks for any help.

Regarding the chickens....you say you want to train the lab to "retrieve" do you mean to hunt?

If your training it to "hunt", ie. live birds, cripples, expect the dog to go after the loose chickens.

If you are just training to retrieve dead birds for hunt tests, the dog should leave the live birds alone as it is doing now.

Once you introduce live birds the chickens are free game :smile:

I'm partial to the James Spencer books. Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows is a classic book to start with.

Cheers,
Kasomor

bckev
01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info it gives me a place to start.

Kody94
01-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I just started reading a book called "Gun Dogs" and it's by John R. Falk

Check out your local library.

Hmm. Guess there is more than one. This is the one I was referring to...

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Img/EStore/Products/10111.jpg

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-training-books-and-videos/dog-training-books/gun-dog-book.html

kinderdoggin
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
You can teach your dog to leave the chickens alone, even if it hunts. I don't let my dogs run willy nilly all over the place fetching injured birds while hunting- they must wait until they are directed to do so. It is not unreasonable to imagine that your trained dog could get excited about fetching live birds but learn that the ones at home are off-limits. Of course, until your dog knows the difference, don't let her have access to the chickens or they could be going for a ride!

Kasomor
01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
"You can teach your dog to leave the chickens alone, even if it hunts. I don't let my dogs run willy nilly all over the place fetching injured birds while hunting- they must wait until they are directed to do so. "

I guess I should have made my post clearer. Sure, you can teach your dog to "leave it" with the loose chickens. Just like you teach them to be steady while hunting and to go when sent. You should be able to control your dog to do anything while you are present.

Leave a hunting dog loose with chickens while your not there and see what happens.

I know my dogs would fetch/ kill the chickens....rabbits...possums....pigeons... been there, done that.

They will also have a rock solid "leave it."

Cheers,
Kasomor

Johnnybear
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
"Hey pup, fetch it up"

Good book you'll have to look it up yourself however as I can't post a link for you or post a picture of cover, etc. anymore.

See
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30171

Kody94
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
"Hey pup, fetch it up"

Good book you'll have to look it up yourself however as I can't post a link for you or post a picture of cover, etc. anymore.

See
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30171 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30171)

If it gets the a sale, I am sure they would be appreciative of your links. :D