PDA

View Full Version : Tritronics Sport Basic G3 opinions

jessonml
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi I am looking at buying an e collar for retriever training my NS Duck Toller.
The Tritronics Sport Basic G3 interests me at $249 from SIR mailorder.
Does anyone have experience with this unit? What do you think?
Any other units I should consider?
I appreciate the input.

01-06-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.tritronics.com/ Check out their home page and http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/index.php for product reviews. l bought pro 500 G2 unit directly from them and have been really happy with it. The service is second to none.

LOC
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Take a look at the Sportdog model too, I use an upland 1850, but they do have some more taylored to retrievers.

Their warrenty / customer service is great!

I'd check out http://canadiangundogsupply.com/home.php as a potential place to by from too. Good guy to deal with, very helpful.

G'luck!

Dirty
01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Look at the labels to make sure your dog is old enough for the shock collars. I believe there are age limitations. We have the Classic 70 G2 and it works awesome. We got 2 collars and used it to train 2 Golden Retrievers.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Shouldnt have a problem with Tritronics, its when you cheap out that the problems arise.
I've got a trashbreaker G2 with 4 collars, thing of beauty I tell ya :)

Islandeer
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I have the Classic 70 and the sport one. The Classic is very convincing. The sport one is great also. Remember that the collers are training tools, like a lead,whistle,heeling stick etc. YOU must teach the dog, the tools help enforce what has been learned to the standared you require.

So be fair about it ....

Kasomor
01-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi I am looking at buying an e collar for retriever training my NS Duck Toller.
The Tritronics Sport Basic G3 interests me at $249 from SIR mailorder.
Does anyone have experience with this unit? What do you think?
Any other units I should consider?
I appreciate the input.

I use Dogtra collars. Have for 6 years and have had no problems with them.
Dogtra has 100 levels of stimultation, nick or constant and also has vibrate. The next level up in the Tritronics collars past the Basic also has more levels of stimulation. If you decide to stick with Tritronics spend a few dollars more and go with the more levels.

The reason you want more levels is becuase it gives you more choice of how much or how litter juice to give the dog. You want just enough juice to correct but not enough to fry the dog. ALL dogs are different. For example one dog may need a 3 , the other may need a 5 1/2. If you have a 5 1/2 dog, a 5 setting won't get you a response and the 6 setting will cause the dog to shut down.

AND it differs from behaviour and day to day what level of stimulation your going to use.

The more levels the better.

I know your toller pup is only 3 months old so I really hope that your just planning ahead and have no intention of using a collar on him until he is fully obedience trained and he is at least 7 months old if not older.

Cheers,
Kasomor

Buck
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I have that Trainor only the Upland G3 version and it is great.The size is nice battery life is excellant and no problems at all with the unit.You may want to consider the the sport combo g3 with has more setting at the push of a button but my G3 upland is essentially the Sport basic and it is all you need.A great product.

jessonml
01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys. Yes I am just planning ahead and will be putting it on him right away during training sessions to get him used to the tight collar but not using it.