PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region 7B Proposed Regulation Changes

PeaceRegionInfo
01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Peace Region Wildlife Regulations
Proposed Changes for Comment (2009-10)

INTRODUCTION

This document summarizes changes to hunting regulations currently under consideration in the Peace Region. These changes, if approved, will be effective and appear in the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis beginning July 1, 2009. We welcome and will consider your comments as we finalize changes to the regulations.
Proposals for regulation changes result from requests by Rod and Gun Clubs, other non-government organizations, and the public at large. Others we develop from technical studies of trends in wildlife populations and hunter use and success in the region. This document provides some of this background to assist you in understanding the rationale for each regulation change proposal.

WHO CAN COMMENT?

Anyone with an interest in hunting or trapping in British Columbia can comment.

HOW CAN I COMMENT?

We will accept comments in a number of forms. In order of preference, your options are:

(a) electronically via email to Peace.PermitLicences@gov.bc.ca; please use “Regulation Changes 2009/10” in the subject line

(b) conventional mail to the Peace office of the Ministry of Environment:
400-10003 – 110 Ave
Fort St John, BC
V1J 6M7

(c) via FAX to Peace office of the Ministry of Environment at 250-787-3490.

To assist us in getting the best possible information, please use the forms we provide in this package. An MS Word file is available should you wish to use a computer (Request full document with maps from email address listed above).

WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS?

The deadline for submission of comments is January 16, 2009.

HOW WILL THE MINISTRY USE MY COMMENTS?

Hunting and trapping regulations contribute to the three main goals of the wildlife program:
(a) Maintain the diversity and abundance of native species and their habitats throughout British Columbia
(b) Provide a variety of opportunities for the use and enjoyment of wildlife
(c) People and wildlife living in harmony

In addition, the Ministry currently places a high emphasis on hunter recruitment and retention. Complex regulations are a barrier to recruiting and retaining hunters and hence regulation simplicity is a current priority.

Mule deer:

No proposed changes

White-tailed deer:

Regulation 1
Current Regulation: MU 7-19 currently is combined with the non-mountain seasons from November 1 – 30.
Proposed Change: Make MU 7-19 regulations the same as mountain seasons from September 10 to October 5.
Rationale: The white-tail and mule deer seasons in MU 7-19 were not aligned. This regulation change will make the two seasons concurrent. MU 7-19 is a mountainous area and the early season allows more access to hunters, thereby increasing opportunity.

Elk:

Regulation 2
Current Regulation: In MU 7-50 the Childers Antlerless and Bow Only Bull Elk Hunting Area (Map H21 in regulations) has an antlerless elk season from August 20 to October 31, and a 3 point bull elk season from September 10 to October 31. In MU 7-42 the Muskwa Flats Special Elk Area (Map H18 in the regulations) has a 3 point elk season from August 15 to September 9, and a 6 point elk season from September 10 to October 31. See Figure 3 below.
Proposed Change: Remove the Childers Antlerless Area (Map H21) and make the antlerless season apply to all of MU 7-50 (from August 20 to October 31). The bull seasons in MU 7-50 would not change. Expand the Muskwa Flats Special Elk Area (Map H18) to include the portion of MU 7-42 north of the height of land between the Prophet River and Richards Creek (see Figure 4 below), include a cow season in that area (August 20 to October 31) and maintain the 3 point season dates (August 15 to October 31).
Rationale: High elk numbers in these areas are having negative effects on the health of range and possibly having negative effects on some other ungulate species. Given the difficult access to the proposed expansion area there is little concern for over-harvest of female elk. The proposed season increases opportunity for resident and non-resident hunters in the area. In 1998 a population inventory was conducted and 9415 elk (+/- 19% at 90% confidence interval) were estimated in MU 7-50. Anecdotally, the number of elk in MU 7-50 is stable or increasing since that time. The average annual harvest of antlerless elk in MU 7-50 from 2000 – 2006 was 46 animals. Assuming an equal or greater number of cow elk currently exist in MU 7-50 as in 1998, the harvest rate of females is less than 1% of the females that occupy the area.

Regulation 3
Current Regulation: No late season elk LEH in MU 7-54.
Proposed Change: Create a LEH zone for antlerless elk in MU 7-54 (see map) from December 1 to February 28. In 2009/10 we will issue 50 LEH permits.
Rationale: Elk numbers in the Toad River area have increased greatly over recent years and are having negative impacts on native range and private agriculture in the area, especially in winter months. The area of concern is small, and concentrated around the community of Toad River and the surrounding agriculture fields. The season will match up with the elk LEH in the agricultural area of the Peace, provide extra hunting opportunity, and help to address some of the issues that currently exist in the area.

Moose:

No proposed changes.

Caribou:

Regulation 4
Current Regulation: Any bull caribou season in MUs 7-50 to 7-54 and 7-57 from August 20 – 31, and 5 point or greater bull caribou from September 1 – 30 in MUs 7-42, 7-50 to 7-54, and 7-57.
Proposed Change: Remove the any bull season for all MUs and replace with a 5 point or greater bull caribou season for MUs 7-42, 7-50 to 7-54, 7-57 from August 15 to September 30. The earlier opening date matches with the Omineca and Skeena opening dates.
Rationale: In 1996 the caribou season for mountain caribou changed from being 5 point or greater bulls only in 1995, to the introduction of an ‘any bull’ season in 1996. The rate of harvest for some MUs in 1996 increased greatly following the introduction of the new season and then proceeded to decline through the years.

Thank you for taking the time to document your concerns and suggestions. The information you provide is important to us and will be considered thoroughly. We will not be able to respond to submissions.

Contact Information (optional)

Name:

Address:

Email:

Telephone & fax:

Representing:
Club or organization if applicable; indicate your position (e.g. president, etc.)

Group you identify with (Please check the most appropriate category):

___ Farmer/Rancher
___ Resident Hunter
___ Guide/Outfitter
___ Naturalist/Non-consumptive user
___ Other. Describe:_________________________________________ ____________

Regulation 1

yes ____
no ____

Regulation 2

yes ____
no ____

Regulation 3

yes ____
no ____

Regulation 4

yes ____
no ____

Other ideas and concerns not described in the proposals (use additional pages if necessary):

PeaceRegionInfo
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
The deadline for responses to the proposed regulation changes in the Peace Region was January 16. As of today, the Ministry of Environment has received 23 responses, of which a total of 11 resident hunters replied. The remaining 12 responses were from people identifying themselves as guide/outfitters, trappers, or farmer/ranchers, or some combination of the three. Not all respondents commented on all of the proposed regulation changes.

The results from all respondents were:

Regulation 1: 12 in favor, 3 not in favor
Regulation 2: 15 in favor, 2 not in favor
Regulation 3: 13 in favor, 3 not in favor
Regulation 4: 13 in favor, 1 not in favor

We hope to make the proposed changes available for input earlier next year, and that we will receive more responses.

PGK
01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Where the hell has this thread been hiding? And why wasn't it stickied!?

11 residents replied??????

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I did see it on Huntshoot a while back. Not sure I read it here or not in the same layout as this but Bridger did give us the information a while back.

elkdom
01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Where the hell has this thread been hiding? And why wasn't it stickied!?

11 residents replied??????

seems strange only 11 resident hunter submissions, yet there are so many threads about how everyone wants "input" for season dates and regulation changes, I cant count how many threads on this topic in last 12 months, but many threads end up being a pushing match over hunter opinions and views, yet given the opportunity,,,,,11 resident residents??? :eek:, thank fully I did notice this thread the first day it was posted online here at HBC,:p

7mag700
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Yep, Bridger was kind enough to send this to me after I PM'd him for it. I saw nothing I wanted to protest, didn't realize that I could reply as 'for' the proposal/hadn't seen the response form either. Next year I'll respond either way, it's good to support any forum that requests our input!

7m7

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Yep, Bridger was kind enough to send this to me after I PM'd him for it. I saw nothing I wanted to protest, didn't realize that I could reply as 'for' the proposal/hadn't seen the response form either. Next year I'll respond either way, it's good to support any forum that requests our input!

7m7

Yes, Bridger e-mailed to me as well after I PM'd him for it. It looked good to me over all but I am not that informed on some of those areas. I have hunted in a few of them and have certainly seen a good number of elk.

Gateholio
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I woudl have stickied this had I seen it/someone asked...YToo bad there was so little input.

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Where's an LEH thread?