PDA

View Full Version : fixed or mechanical broad heads

MerrittBow
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Just wondering what u guys use. And with what type of bow.
I use mechanical with my browning mirage 1.5

ThinAir
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I've shot both.... but shoot mech's now(please don't ban me:-o) Never had a problem- arrows fly better for me- never have to play around with my set-up.

BowSitter
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I shoot Muzzy's out of my compound and they seem to work just fine.

Bow Walker
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Fixed, outta me Diamond Liberty @ 60lbs. Got it in my mind that mechs spend too much KE opening up on the way in.

rageous
01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
From my experience a bow thats not paper tuned will not shoot fixed blade broadhead very well. But take the same bow and shoot mechanical's and it will shoot fine. IMO get your bow paper tuned and find a good qualitly fixed blade broadhead. I have used both fixed and mechanical on deer. I had some less than desireable results with mechanicals. Practicing with the broadhead of your choice on targets is very important.

stickbow
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
If you ever spend sometime in a tree stand during late season, with frozen rain and snow you'd definitely want a fixed head. I've seen mechanicals freeze solid

mark
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM
If you ever spend sometime in a tree stand during late season, with frozen rain and snow you'd definitely want a fixed head. I've seen mechanicals freeze solid

I shoot mechanicals, I think this is what happened this year when my GF shot her buck. The broad head was stuck right in the spine, when I deboned the deer the broadhead was still fully closed! Lucky she hit it in the spine!

Ambush
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I guess my group is just some lucky. We have used mechanicals on coyotes, black and grizzly bear, deer, moose, sheep and goats. We have never had a failure with NAP Spitfires.

I'll take the 1 1/2" hole and down range accuracy they give, any day.

Remember, when you pull your mechanical out of an animal backwards, IT WILL CLOSE!!
Too many people make a bad shot and then convince themselves it was those lousy mechanicals. A bad shot is a bad shot!!

You can use what you like, but don't heap unwarranted scorn on a quality mechanical broadhead just because you don't like them.

Geo.338
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I started out shooting fixed razor heads ,Cabelas lazer pro mag .I have nothing but positive experience with them .Tried a mechanical and had crappy penetration on a calf elk ,I was lucky to get it right in the heart.
I did not want to condemn them from one bad experience so I tried it again on a 3 point blacktail and I will not ever shoot a mechanical again.

Only Thunderheads or any other good brand for me now.

I will add that they were not the best quality .I guess you get what you pay for .

rageous
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Sure mechanicals will work "most" of the time. A quality Fixed blade will ALWAYS work. I don't want to take that chance.

Wild one
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
mechanical for me and never had a problem

broad head: Nap spitfires 100gr

bow: custom PSE venom set at 80lbs

bochunk2000
01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I shoot Muzzy 125gr fixed. they never seem to fail me. Except when I hit a branch and they dive into the dirt. :smile:Steve

Ambush
01-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Sure mechanicals will work "most" of the time

I've never seen a failure.

What's the statistical failure rate of mechanicals?

How many have YOU had fail and what kind?

Your use of the word "most" is impling that failures are common.

If your old enough, you'll remember when "Jap-Scrap" was used to describe cars from Japan. Junk!! Still a few people who hold that as truth. There were junk mechanicals years ago to, some people still can't get over that.

Like I said, use what you like, but dead animals have convinced me mechanicals work GREAT.

Wild one
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
x2 with StringFling

If you buy crap your results will be crap. It took me a wile to switch to mechanical as I was worried about malfunction but after seeing consistent results from others using Napa spitfires I switched and will not go back.

rageous
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I've never seen a failure.
Thats great,
What's the statistical failure rate of mechanicals?
Good question.
How many have YOU had fail and what kind?
Whats your definetion of fail?

Bowzone_Mikey
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Ive used them all ... fixed , mechanical and replacible blades ...
I know how to tune a bow quite well I might add,

I along with most of my friends shoot Mechanicals ... Rocket Steelheads infact .... Good friend of mine has harvested 37 animals (10 elk, 17 white tail(10 bucks and 7 does) and 10 Mule deer) in 10 seasons using them
I have harvested 15 animals (10 wt (7 does and 3 bucks) 4 mule deer and 1 elk) in 5 years using them ....
Not to mention countless Coyotes from all sorts of angles ....

Ddog
01-04-2009, 11:21 PM
i shoot mechanicals from the day i changed i have had nothing but success , i will always use mechanicals from now on. over 30 deer , 2 bear, 1 elk and numerous coyotes, never had a failure.
i shoot SPITFIRE XP'S now and have for years shot the SPITFIRE'S in 100GR.
i have also harvested deer with the GRIM REAPERS.
Todays mechanicals are awesome and i will never change.

pupper
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I used to use Montec G5's (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/G5_Montec_Broadheads), great fixed blade head, you can read the review.

I now use these for hunting since I am switching to traditional archery:
wood arrows with fixed blade broadhead. (http://www.successfulhunting.com/2009/01/04/wood-arrows-as-a-gift/)

The Hermit
01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Love my Montec G5's and don't see any reason to switch, they fly great and are cut on contact, single piece solid killing steel.

oldtimer
01-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Fixed. Muzzy's out of my High Country Carbon Force.
Thinking next year I might try my Bow Tech. Mike

Cedarstrip
01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
I use fixed heads with a Hoyt Vortec, strictly because I feel that a mechanical head is just one more thing that could go wrong and fail. I need all the help I can get!

Ron.C
01-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I use fixed blade Muzzy 100's. I have never tried mechanicals myself becuase I have never had a problem getting my broadheads to group well so I have never felt the need to try and change what isn't broken. I heard all the horror stories with mechanicals as well, but I don't put alot of stock in them. Like any other product, I am sure there are good mechanicals and crappy mechanicals. Just like there are good quality fixed blade broadheads and bargin basement fixed blade broadheads you can pick up for under $20 a pack at walmart.

Eagle1
01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
All broadheads will work, just some better than others. I've used both with good results.
I've had blades come out of fixed and little screws break on mech.
Change the blades after every animal shot or resharpen them, just putting fixed broadheads in and out of your bow quiver will dull them.Shot a nice mulie last year with a super dull "Montec" still stuck in him, some people just don't know or can't sharpen them, that's why they make "replacable" blade broadheads.You have to spin test every one to make sure they are true for the best posable arrow flight.
All broadheads will work if sharp or not rusted/frozen shut and place in the boiler room of an animal.

lilhoss
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Browning compound bow,with fixed 100 grain muzzy broadheads,for deer and black bear.Never had any issues.I do check them frequently for nicks,or scratches,and keep 'em sharp or replace the blades.

jessbennett
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Sure mechanicals will work "most" of the time. A quality Fixed blade will ALWAYS work. I don't want to take that chance.

fixed dont ALWAYS work...... a quality mechanical(like a rage,rocket steelhead, tekan,or grim reaper) for example will work as well if not better than most fixed heads.

proguide66
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
You guys ever shoot the old ' Bear Razorheads' ??....I started out bow hunting at age 12...( too many years ago)....I never really kept up to date with the gear....still shot bare-bow with fingers until 2 yrs ago.......anyway....I guided a PSE 'prostaffer' ( RockyDrake) last fall..he gave me his new bow as a tip - PSE 'X Force' with all the latest goodies on it.....holy crap , like driving a VW bug for years and going to a Lambrogini....anyway.....I have one of those dense rubber broad head cube targets....I shot some muzzy's at it , montec at it and my old trusty 2 blade razorheads at it........the razor heads stuck in 8" deeper than the others ...the razor heads look like such a larger chunk of steel to me...why would it be consistently deeper??...( again , I have never been 'up to date' on the gear)......only experience I have with the 'mechanical' broad heads is 2 hunters loosing 2 moose with them......( I think it was shoulder blade hits).

One more question.......I have always used the 4" vanes......I ordered by the phone some new arrows from the shop in New West...he said the 'small vanes' are the way to go..anyway....thay arrived and I found my 4" vanes flew true compared to those little ones.......is everyone using those small vanes for more speed?....or are they really supposed to fly straighter???......

mgnm300
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
i've bin using mechanicals for a few years now and haven't had too many failures with them not opening , but i've noticed that i don't always get pass throughs, this year i used Tekan II's mechanicals on my mathews adrenaline @60 lb pull and had awesome results.
i've bin really curious about the short vanes as well, i've bin debating on switching or not

mark
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Ive taken about 4 deer with mechanicals and had no problems but heres some pics from my GF's deer she took with a crossbow this year at 50 yards. 4 pics coming!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3015_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=12274&size=big&cat=)
and

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3014_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=12273&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)
and

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3016_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=12275&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)
and this is how I extracted the broadhead after deboning the meat!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3017_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=12276&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Onesock
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Mark. Did the broadhead open up or stay closed?

Bigbear
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Those Look Like them $20.00 Eastman Br Heads.

Kirby
01-05-2009, 03:40 PM
You can use what you like, but don't heap unwarranted scorn on a quality mechanical broadhead just because you don't like them.

Ok, well my spit-fire broadhead hitting my mule deer buck, turning close to 90 degrees and then going back along the ribs into the liver was an eye openner for me. I've gone through shoulders several times with fixed and never had a problem, my one and only try with mechs left me with a bend head, and an animal that I almost lost.

Fixed for me.

Kirby

Kirby
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
fixed dont ALWAYS work...... a quality mechanical(like a rage,rocket steelhead, tekan,or grim reaper) for example will work as well if not better than most fixed heads.

How do you figure? Take a head that is guaranteed open, blades exposed and say it works worse than a head that can jam, torque???

I don't doubt that quality mechs work well and are highly effective, but I fail to see how a quality fixed head could work worse than a mechanical?

Kirby

jessbennett
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
How do you figure? Take a head that is guaranteed open, blades exposed and say it works worse than a head that can jam, torque???

I don't doubt that quality mechs work well and are highly effective, but I fail to see how a quality fixed head could work worse than a mechanical?

Kirby

not all mechanicals will torque kirb! :smile:. sure fixed are guaranteed open, but not all are guaranteed to hold together either. ive NEVER seen a rocket steelhead, rage, grim reaper or tekan fail.

mark
01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Mark. Did the broadhead open up or stay closed?

I take it you didnt read my previous reply.... It stayed closed, when I pulled the meat off there was only a round hole in it! :sad:

Onesock
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Actually I did read your post but you didn't say whether it stayed closed or opened. You showed a picture of it closed but I didn't know you dug it out that way. Sorrrry.

Kirby
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
not all mechanicals will torque kirb! :smile:. sure fixed are guaranteed open, but not all are guaranteed to hold together either. ive NEVER seen a rocket steelhead, rage, grim reaper or tekan fail.

ok, so a quality fixed blade vs quality mechanical. Fixed is more reliable, I am definatly in agreement that a cheap fixed is worse than a quality mech, but quality being equal, I'll take the fixed.

Kirby

Onesock
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I did see a post previous to the pictures just now. Once again sorry.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
thats your right Kirby ... truth be told I started shooting Mechs when i dealing with alot of wind ...(south west alberta... the windiest place in North America) I wanted a smaller cross section to combat drift

Now I shoot them because
.... well i dont know ... why fix it if it aint broke ?

Kirby
01-06-2009, 04:28 PM
why fix it if it aint broke ?

Exactly... you just proved my point:shock::smile:

Kirby

stickbow
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Care to explain how a mechanical will work as good or better than a fixed head?

Remington
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I usually use a fixed when im stalking and a mech when im in the stand. The Mechs seem too rattle and come undone easily in heavy bush.

Onesock
01-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Why fixed over mechanical? Look at the pictures in this post. Mechanical failed !!!!

01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I use Grim Reaper...have only taken one deer, but it did the job. My hunting buddy also uses them, and got a black bear last spring. Left a hole you could put your fist in....I was impressed.

A lot of people think that Grim Reapers fail to open because when they pull them out or find them, they are closed. That's because they fold back closed when being pulled in reverse. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that a Grim Reaper would not open...that would be a miracle of physics.

Mechanicals all the way!

The Hermit
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I understand that the mechanicals are supposed to be better in the wind as they have less surface area for the wind to work on, makes sense to me. However I also understand that some fixed blade designs like the Montech G5 are made with aerodynamic slots that effectively reduce the surface area of the blades to make wind far less critical. I have shot them in all kinds of conditions and never had a problem within my effective killing range (20 yards). Thoughts?

Ron.C
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I hear ya Hermit, and do agree 100% that the closer the range to the target, there will be less effect and that the smaller profile of the mechanicals would give an advantage in stability while shooting in wind. My muzzys shoot very well in moderate wind and try and practice in all conditions leading up to the season. But for me, it comes to a point where if you are worried that the wind you are shooting in will have a major effect on arrow flight, maybe you just shoudn't take the shot " or at least reduce the range you'll shoot at" regardless of what type of broadhead your using?

jessbennett
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Care to explain how a mechanical will work as good or better than a fixed head?

wider entrance hole, wider wound chanel, just a few.

check out www.ragebroadheads.com (http://www.ragebroadheads.com)

and www.grimreaperbroadheads.com (http://www.grimreaperbroadheads.com)

jessbennett
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
mark what make of braodhead was in the picture??? look like eastman maybe????

Kirby
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM

HOW? How would a Mech have a wider entrance hole? or wound channel? All your talking about now it cutting area. If you shoot a 10" fixed you'll have a 10" hole, if you shoot a 10" mech you'll have a 10" hole(if it opens:razz:)

Kirby

stickbow
01-07-2009, 01:53 PM

check out www.ragebroadheads.com (http://www.ragebroadheads.com)

and www.grimreaperbroadheads.com (http://www.grimreaperbroadheads.com)

I agree with you on the fact the mechanical will cut a bigger hole,you won't find too many fixed broadheads that are wider than 2" but with that said if your 3" mechanical fails your cutting surface won't be much more than a field point, a fixedhead's cutting surface won't ever change 1-7/8" in 1-7/8" out.No chance of failure EVER.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I understand that the mechanicals are supposed to be better in the wind as they have less surface area for the wind to work on, makes sense to me. However I also understand that some fixed blade designs like the Montech G5 are made with aerodynamic slots that effectively reduce the surface area of the blades to make wind far less critical. I have shot them in all kinds of conditions and never had a problem within my effective killing range (20 yards). Thoughts?

yep ... out east(alberta Sask manitoba) a 40 to 50 yrd shot on a Mulie or Speedgoat is common place ....

jessbennett
01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
HOW? How would a Mech have a wider entrance hole? or wound channel? All your talking about now it cutting area. If you shoot a 10" fixed you'll have a 10" hole, if you shoot a 10" mech you'll have a 10" hole(if it opens:razz:)

Kirby

watch the video on the rage, and the grimreapers.

jessbennett
01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
its plain and simple really, it comes down to preference. :wink:

i prefer mechanicals. others prefer fixed.

the speeds that im shooting for hunting, its hard to find ANY fixed that wont plane or compromise accuracy.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-07-2009, 05:59 PM

the speeds that im shooting for hunting, its hard to find ANY fixed that wont plane or compromise accuracy.

there is that aspect as well ...

Bow Walker
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I hear ya Hermit, and do agree 100% that the closer the range to the target, there will be less effect and that the smaller profile of the mechanicals would give an advantage in stability while shooting in wind. My muzzys shoot very well in moderate wind and try and practice in all conditions leading up to the season. But for me, it comes to a point where if you are worried that the wind you are shooting in will have a major effect on arrow flight, maybe you just shoudn't take the shot " or at least reduce the range you'll shoot at" regardless of what type of broadhead your using?
Therein lies the nuts and bolts of bowhunting. It's all about knowing your equipment (what it will and will not do in a given situation) and also knowing yourself - when to shoot and more importantly when not to shoot. Well said Ron.

HOW? How would a Mech have a wider entrance hole? or wound channel? All your talking about now it cutting area. If you shoot a 10" fixed youicals'll have a 10" hole, if you shoot a 10" mech you'll have a 10" hole(if it opens:razz:)
Kirby
Kirby, most mechanicals have cutting diameters starting at 2 inches and many go up to 3 inches. I've yet to see (or hear of) a fixed that has a cutting diameter in excess of 2 inches....:roll:

Jesse - you've touched on a little known (or thought of) factor that affects the flight of the typical hunting arrow. Speed, as it relates to the broadhead design. Kinda makes ya go hmmm, doesn't it?

Bigbear
01-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I dont Think Most of you fella's Have Figured Out Yet , That no Matter what Biggest BaddestsBroadhead Fixed Or Mech, If you dont Hit vitals either one Can Fail. Shot Placement is King. If you shoot it in the Heart or Lungs with a Field tip , It will go down.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Bear dont ya know ...you get a Broadhead thats big and bad enough ...you dont even have to hit the animal ...just get it close .... LMAO