PDA

View Full Version : Steady Stix or Bog Pod or???

Sitkaspruce
01-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I am looking into getting something for a portable rest for shooting while hunting. I all ready have a gun mounted Harris bi-pod. but it is a pain while working in thick timber. I am looking for something a little more portable and can be used when out in the open, but is put away in the timber.

I have been looking through catalogues, the net and such and have seen a few different ones including Steady Stix, Bog Pod, Cabelas shooting sticks etc.

Does any body use anything like this???? Any recomendations, pro's/con's etc??

Cheers

SS

martyonthewater
01-03-2009, 10:57 AM
wallmart has what I believe are the steadystix for around $30. they look like they would fold down fairly compact pretty easy and they also double as a walking stick. could be worth a look

FLHTCUI
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Look up "Varmint Al " web page.
and follow his link page to the bi-furpod.
you can make this for less than $5.00 Canadian.
Then again if you feel the need to spend upwarsds of $40.00 for the same thing, feel free.
If I could I would post his link for the directions, but I am sure google would be much quicker.
Rob

Will
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
The steady stix do the job just fine....I also hate rifle mounted bipods when out hunting.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/steady_stix.htm

...or if your handy as FLHTCUI pointed out you can make your own for cheap.
http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

bcsteve
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I got a set of Steady Stix for Christmas. Haven't had the chance to try them but they are light and compact. You'll have to decide if you want to sitting or kneeling or if you need the taller sticks for shooting standing.

goatdancer
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Just visited Varmint Al's site. Looks like a simple way of making the sticks. I happen to have 2 spare legs from an adjustable tripod so I'm going to try make up an adjustable set of sticks. Hopefully that takes care of the length issue for different positions. Nothing like complicating a simple endeavour.....

The 'Hummer'
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I have Harris mounted on my Varmint & predator rifles, 219DW & 25-06 but I agree, I wouldn't want a rifle mounted set on any other hunting rifle. For that, I picked up a set of Stoney Point, 'Polecat'. Light, quick and easy to pack and use.

sawmill
01-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I used to have a Harris bi-pod when I lived up in the Peace country because there were some pretty long shots as a rule,600 acre + grain fields.After I moved to the west side of town-Smithers/Hazelton /Houston I got rid of it.Now I live in the E.K. and I have never needed it here either.Well maybe once.......but it`s not worth the hassle to me for the few times I would use it.Most of my money shots are 100 yards or less and if I had to fool around with my bi-pod the critter would be long gone.Sticks or bi-pods are a pain in the ass I find.I`de rather take a decent 3 pnt. rest off my ass and knee than lose a great buck while I fooled around with sticks.
And the last 5 I got were not going to wait for me to get all set up.

jayrod
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I purchased the shooting sticks from Crooked Horn Outfitters $50 bucks !!!!

http://www.crookedhorn.com/cms/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.chcustom.tpl&product_id=50&category_id=8

They aren't cheap and I packed them around all season for Caribou, Mulie and Whitetail. Never used them once, I wouldn't spend this much money on them again but I also won't stop carrying them because it only takes once when your walking down a FSR and need to set up in the middle of the road or out in the open as you said.

goatdancer
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Use a tree branch...they are cheaper :)

And when you miss you can always blame the shaky branch. Win-win.....

bruin
01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/ME467220.jpg (http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?op=large_image&sku=ME467220.JPG)
I use this monopod for guiding, it's light, quick and it allows you to get up above the brush. It isn't as steady for long shots but you usually have more time for those.

todbartell
01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I very rarely go hunting without my Stoney Point Steady Stix, been using them for about six years now. I find them excellent

Sitkaspruce
01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I used to have a Harris bi-pod when I lived up in the Peace country because there were some pretty long shots as a rule,600 acre + grain fields.After I moved to the west side of town-Smithers/Hazelton /Houston I got rid of it.Now I live in the E.K. and I have never needed it here either.Well maybe once.......but it`s not worth the hassle to me for the few times I would use it.Most of my money shots are 100 yards or less and if I had to fool around with my bi-pod the critter would be long gone.Sticks or bi-pods are a pain in the ass I find.I`de rather take a decent 3 pnt. rest off my ass and knee than lose a great buck while I fooled around with sticks.
And the last 5 I got were not going to wait for me to get all set up.

I agree for most areas, but between the tremour I have and hunting on the island, where sitting down means you disappear in the salad:wink:, I need something that will give me an edge over free hand shots.

Use a tree branch...they are cheaper :)

Not to may of them around on the island when the cut blocks are new and then too many of them when they reach a height you can actually use:wink:.

The issue is not when timber hunting, but when we hunt the open cut blocks.

Thanks for the info so far.

I am looking into the make your own, just not sure about the portability when walking the blocks. I guess thay can be used as a walking stick.

SS

boxhitch
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
So then it sounds liek most of your potential usse would be standing or kneeling instead of sitting or prone.
That narrows down the suitable choices.
No sense in fumbling with something flimsy that adjusts down to 10 inches.
I say the walking sticks if they adjust high enough, or a monopod like bruin (and I) uses. Dual purpose as I detest single use items.
Good support for glassing, camera support.
Need two legs ? Lean it into a tree or grab a branch
African PH's have someone packing around 7' tripods, now thats stable.

If walking stix don't adjust high enough, take a look at the adjustable ski poles that can be combined and used as avalanche probes. I think mine can reach over six feet each.

boxhitch
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Want compact ? I always carry a length of accesory cord to hang a loop from a branch or string a 'vee' between two trees/limbs, use that to support the rifle foreend. Rock steady? No. Better than nothing. and fast.

boxhitch
01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Sitka, you have guided, right ? How many times have you had clients pack useless stuff around the hills, for the first couple of days then start leaving it behind at camp later on ??
Bipods are right up there. They get used more propping up a gun while resting, instead of laying it down in the turf, than ever for shooting..

Sitkaspruce
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Sitka, you have guided, right ? How many times have you had clients pack useless stuff around the hills, for the first couple of days then start leaving it behind at camp later on ??
Bipods are right up there. They get used more propping up a gun while resting, instead of laying it down in the turf, than ever for shooting..

And that is the reason the Bi-pod has been removed. It was handy in Alberta when we would go there to hunt, open farmland country, but here it is usless for the most part.

I have Essential Tremour (Kathrine Hepburn had it) and it affects the way I shoot off hand. It is in both hands, arms and back and if I get a rush of adrenilen (sp?) it makes the shakes worse:(. I need something that once calmed down, will help me have a steady rest for a possible shot.

I am looking into a couple different options for use mainly for stand or kneel shooting. I like the Bog-Pod, single or bi-pod style. Cabelas has them a lot cheaper.
http://www.boggear.com/index.html

or this one
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0040899228253a&navCount=4&podId=0040899&parentId=cat20774&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20774&hasJS=true

or this one
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0049019&navCount=7&parentId=cat20774&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20774&rid=

Cheers

SS

boxhitch
01-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I need something that once calmed down, will help me have a steady rest for a possible shot.

Rolling up a Bob Marley style solution may help, but takes time!!

Sitkaspruce
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Rolling up a Bob Marley style solution may help, but takes time!!

LOL!!!!

Other than some beta blockers, which will have me a zombie, alcohol and other "natural depressants" can help, but not into drinkin and huntin, nevermind the drivin part:wink:.

SS

Onesock
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Get an old laminated hockey stick handle. Rip it down the center lengthwise and stick a 1/4 bolt in about 6-7 inches from the end. The stick now folds open or shut and is an excellent rest. Doubles as a walking stick and is quick to openor close. Cost- almost free.