PDA

View Full Version : big single action reels

ratherbefishin
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
when we were in NewZealand /Austraila last spring-I noticed they used some big 10''-12'' single action reels for deep sea fishing-haven't seen any here but I wondered if they would be pretty good for halibut fishing

Dirty
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.alvey.com.au/default.asp?contentID=507

Is this is what you are talking about? I don't think they will be as efficient as the conventional reels used on the westcoast. The Shimano TLDs, Penn 320s and 330s are better reels IMHO.

NaStY
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Single action reels are one of the best ways an accomplished angler can fish. If my hands were still good, that's all i would use.

Except for sturgeon fishing:mrgreen:

porcupine
01-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Knuckle busters for sure.
________
Toyota Premio (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Premio)

Dirty
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think the Alvey ones have a drag. That would be really nice fishing for big 'buts. You would need a skin graft on your palm.

Gunner
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Alvey makes some big single action down in Oz.Some of them swing the spool to the front so you can cast them like a giant spinning reel,then they swing back so you can retrieve or fight your fish single action.They use them for surf casting! Gunner

FLHTCUI
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Knuckle Busters fer sure.. they are a fun way to catch any type of fish.
Not for the faint of heart either as they are a 1-1 return, so can you imagine trying to land a big butt from 400 feet of water?
The ratio is what makes them an interesting reel to fish with and my math id pretty foggy this morning and I cant give you an educated answer on that.
Have fun if you decide to get one from Down Under and play with it here.
Rob

ratherbefishin
01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
yah,the ones I saw had the typical Alvey star drag.I was thinking they would be pretty efficient bringing up a halibut-of course-same large spool that works for you bringing them up would work against you when the halibut decided to head down,you'd crack your knuckles pretty quick if you had them in the way

spreerider
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
After catching my biggest fish on a knuckle buster i will never go back,
I use my grandpas old brass one but the name is worn off so i cant say what brand but it works great,
way more fun fighting a big fish with them definatly more effective being able to adjust the drag with your hand and let out as much or little as you want without fiddling with a knob.
only problem i have with it is i cant let it lose enough to spool line off to drop a jig down deep, i have to pull it off by hand and that can take a long time.