PDA

View Full Version : My 15th Birthday Hunt on the bay... And a good story

longshot
01-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

Today January 2nd is my 15th birthday and we went out to Cowichan Bay for my birthday hunt. It was one crazy day.

We arrived at the gate a good 40 minutes before shooting time and no others were present at the time. So we got to our spot, set up decoys and blind, and ended up waiting ten minutes to shoot. A nice mallard drake is flying around and I call him in and down he goes. Turns out that will be the last one for the early morning. Pretty slow morning. So up until 9:15 with an eyebrow level tide, all the ducks just wouldn't come close enough to shoot. After 9:15 I decided to wade/row across the other side of the area where roughly 600 ducks were sitting. As i'm walking through the ice covered water, I get my birthday bath. Step in a ditch and down I go past my hip waders. :lol: (the laughing represents my dad) But i keep walking. I finally got to my spot i spotted out, hid the boat and waited. Was able to drop down a hen mallard and a pintail drake. Passed up lots of shots on the widgeon and teal.

Around 11:30 my dad was finally able to cross the field with his leaky boots as the tide came down. 12:30 a single goose comes out of no where and flies by at about 45-50 yards. BOOM..BOOM.. Down he goes! :eek: With a duck load (that's all i had). My first 'cow bay' goose ever. I rarely see geese in cow bay that low flying.

Now were sitting low and were just going to pack up around 1:45. I look up and what do I see??? White with black tip wings??? A FLOCK OF 20 SNOW GEESE.:eek: Now for me this is exciting. Even though they were about 800 - 1000 yards up. Never ever seen one before.

They looked at the dinsdale and started loosing altitude. I started playing with them and used my short reed with no technique and just blew in it. (Sounded half swan half snow goose) Staring in aww.. I hear a quack. Turn around and there's lots of ducks flying. Never got a shot as they were just a little to far.

I turn towards to the dinsdale again to see the geese land. Huh? Gone? I turn back around to the duck side and I see the Snows 500 yards away looking for my call. I give'em a couple more honk honks and they turned right to us! My reaction::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Came right over us at 50 yards and BOOM.. I drop one, BOOM..Dad drops one, TWO SNOW GEESE FALL FROM THE SKY. (sorry, not enough room on the page to show my reaction in smilies)

I didn't think snows ever came to the island near cowichan. What a sight. First time ever seen and two come home!

So this ended up to be my best birthday hunt ever. :biggrin: Slow for ducks but not for geese + a nice refreshing ocean bath.

Hope you like the pictures. (if you look at my face with the snows they match the smilies)

Longshot Junior

!! pics coming on next post !!

longshot
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12220&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12221&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12222&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12223&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

Junior

Marc
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Sweet deal! I saw one snow flying with a flock of Canada's earlier in the season but haven't seen a whole flock of white ones yet. Happy B-day!

Dirty
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Good Job, Happy Birthday!

dutchie
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
That is one nice line up of birds you have there my friend!!!

Congrats on the great hunt and Happy Birthday!

porcupine
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Happy Birthday and congralations! I've hunted ducks and geese here on the south end of the Island for 30+ years and have yet to get a shot at a Snow Goose. What a thrill and a job well done!
________
extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.info)

Dano
01-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Congratulations, great pics! And happy birthday!
I got my first snow this year after 35 years of hunting waterfowl and I had to travel to Alberta to do it....
Keep up the posts, I need to at least read about somebody having a good shoot out there somewhere. I went out to my spot today and it's still frozen up. I may not get out again, then again, I may try the Pitt River...
You share your january 2nd birthday with my son and my oldest daughter (born 2 years apart on Jan. 2! :smile:).
Dan

longshot
01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
The flock must have been migrators. They flew in perfect formation at about 1000 yards and didn't flap once as they circled around the dinsdale about 10+ times. Didn't make noise either except when the leader honked back at me and flew real slow. Pretty cool watching them glide for that long.

Longshot Junior

Phoneguy
01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Happy Birthday, and congrats on the good day

shotgunjohn
01-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Good stuff. We were just talking about maybe someday getting snow geese here and you and your dad pull it off. Congrats on the birds and on your birthday.

Crazy_Farmer
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
What a birthday present! Good job.

FLHTCUI
01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Very cool B-day Present for sure. I havnt heard of Snowies on the Island eithr but then again they do travel from Wrangle Is. to Mexico so it shouldnt be such a rareity.
Savour the moment and enjoy those Snowies !
Rob

martyonthewater
01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
happy b-day jr. It looks like it was a great day for you and the old man. hope there are more days like that to come for you and yours-marty

tomahawk
01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Awesome hunt, happy birthday and what a great job you did on the story!

Gunner
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Nice goin' Longshot,it's pretty rare to get a snow on the Island!I think that the main flock has eaten everything that isn't nailed down in the Fraser marshes,I know some of them have moved down to the Skagit estuary,which they do every winter.You may run into more if the weather stays cold! Cheers,Gunner

Jimbo
01-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Very cool birthday present !! Congrats on being able to call Snows all the way from the Fraser to the Cowichan. :wink:Most guys would need an electronic call for that !! :mrgreen:

PGK
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Good job kiddo :D Nice lookin lineup of birds! Happy birthday! :D

kyleklassen
01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
i have hunted the bay pretty hard for 20 years and have never seen a snow goose till about 3 weeks ago. and it was a single flying with a single canada. about a mile up. congatulations.

sneg
01-03-2009, 03:21 PM
happy B-day. nice story.

rifleman
01-03-2009, 06:11 PM
wow -you guys did great. Happy b-day & congratulations

heyblast
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
What a Birthday, I don't know how you'll top that hunt. Congratulations.:smile: