PDA

View Full Version : Fort Ware area

king
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
A friend and I are trying to plan a trip with horses up in that area in the summer. I'm hoping someone can help me out with some trail information for the akie river area or further north.
thanks Matt

ultramagbob
01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Ive heard the natives are a little restless up there.

d6dan
01-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe you should fly into Tucha Lake. And that way you won't have to deal with natives?.

Rackmastr
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I guided up close to Ft. Ware before and know some of the area up there....might be able to help you depending on where you are going and what you're lookin for.....

Bowzone_Mikey
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Fort Ware ... most murders per capita in Canada ... Love it ...

My Dad used to work for NT air and I tagged along on several trips to Ware ... thinking back I am not sure why I thought it was fun ... I almost always got put to work Unloading stuff;)

killman
01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Fort Ware ... most murders per capita in Canada ... Love it ...

My Dad used to work for NT air and I tagged along on several trips to Ware ... thinking back I am not sure why I thought it was fun ... I almost always got put to work Unloading stuff;)

And those Whiskey cases are heavy!:oops:

01-01-2009, 10:02 PM
In all honesty, some 22 or so years ago had the absolute scare of my life with the local natives from Inginika ....... next to holding onto ledges for billy goats, I thought I might my meet maker. Truck breaking down, some 200 plus miles into the bush a guy and friends can get into a real tight fix. Thanks to a local group of loggers coming back in for work, they knew some of the locals and resolved our predicament.
Thanks who ever you guys were, 7-38 and 7-39 old logging slash moose country. One other year, previous to that our group contacted a guide who contacted the RCMP had a few hunters flown out of the area after being jammed into a river mouth with wind blown log jam.

Can be tough country to hunt, it's back there a ways too. There are moose, some Caribou, grizz and blacks. And the locals .......?

CT

moosecaller
01-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I was going to hunt this area quite a few years back and was warned off by a buddy who worked up there he said the indigenious people were a problem. And the latest news from there has not changed it is not safe to wander around the area, some serious encounters with the locals were armed and touch and go, this came first hand from another buddy who worked up there and another fellow I met who hunted it last season. Both said it's very dangerous to go there, and these fellows do not scare easy. I have not had first hand experience there the word from these guys was enough for me not to want to try it myself. B.C. is a big place if you want to explore there are lots of places that don't have the bad reputation like that place has.

kyleklassen
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
but all the guys from the mainland have those big cannons so they can sit back 1000 yds and launch shells at the locals right? the old 303's won't reach out that far.

Laurence_Erickson
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
the spring before last I was in there grizz hunting.we ran into a couple young guys that tried to make us feel uneasy.we quicky put it right back to them and they backed off in a hurry.we didn't get too far from our truck and had no problems with them.there is a trail on the south side off the Akie right at the bridge,and a place to park .If I were to go in ther I would stop at seykay and tell the local rcmp you are going in .They might have some I dea about the security of your vehicles good luck ,it,s nice country.

doubled
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
That was my thought Laurence. Give it back to them as hard as they give it to you. You would be surprised how little bite some of these dogs have. And then report it to the RCMP.

ElectricDyck
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
From what I've heard you can't leave your vehicle or camp unattended.

reddog888
01-02-2009, 10:01 AM
And dont bring a flat of kakanee into a dry res. made that mistake once, longest night of my life!! and didnt get to have one of my own beer...

01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
There is no doubt our experience was these guys were coming back for the vehicle, it's contents and ....... us and our money. These guys were out and out scary, fueled by booze or what ever. It's a situation I do not want to experience again, the story could last over 2 hours with the stuff that went down.
Bless the loggers that saved us from, Iver, Ed, 3 others ....... oh they even brought out Grandpa to watch the show !
Flippin Scary!!!
CT
I will not be going back, there is no reasoning with that bunch, with guns and no help around were still lucky to be here.
Thanks again to the loggers!!
IT IS A KNOWN FACT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SHOT AT IN THAT COUNTRY!

smoke-eater
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
And theres that C.M.outfitters owner to watch out for too......

bigwhiteys
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow... Fort Ware sounds like the wild west...!

Carl

XMD70
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
The Fort Ware Band hired me a couple of years back to teach the PAL course. They paid for my flight up, provided a room in the "White" house for me to stay in, and let me use a room in the school to teach the course. The folks in the course (15) were polite and friendly. Their test scores were better than those in the average course I've taught in Prince George over the past 20 years. Having said this, be aware that the day I arrived a group of RCMP were just leaving following a murder investigation. I saw evidence of substance abuse everywhere. Note that as far as the locals are concerned, it's open season on all wildlife every day of the year. Within half of a gas tank range of the village there are almost no animals at all. The local storekeeper cautioned me strongly against bringing my own aircraft or vehicle to town, saying they would almost certainly be vandalized.
A few years back a friend and I taught the same course in Takla Landing. The situation was very similar.

mark
01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
The Fort Ware Band hired me a couple of years back to teach the PAL course. They paid for my flight up, provided a room in the "White" house for me to stay in, and let me use a room in the school to teach the course. The folks in the course (15) were polite and friendly. Their test scores were better than those in the average course I've taught in Prince George over the past 20 years. Having said this, be aware that the day I arrived a group of RCMP were just leaving following a murder investigation. I saw evidence of substance abuse everywhere. Note that as far as the locals are concerned, it's open season on all wildlife every day of the year. Within half of a gas tank range of the village there are almost no animals at all. The local storekeeper cautioned me strongly against bringing my own aircraft or vehicle to town, saying they would almost certainly be vandalized.
A few years back a friend and I taught the same course in Takla Landing. The situation was very similar.

Im curious.... who got murdered??? Was it a local shooting a local... or a local shooting a non-local...or versa-visa????
When I read this thread, all I can think of is myself in a situation like described, catching someone vandalizing my camp or truck when way back in the stix???? Id have a really hard time not shooting the dirt bag!

moosinaround
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Well I got to tell you guys, I worked up there for 2 yrs. I never once had a problem with the locals! I left my camp up for my off shifts, and never suffered vandalism! I was camped at the Akie River, at 30 km on the finlay mainline with no issues. I did ask permission to camp there. Yah it is crown land, I am not required to ask, but out of repect I did, and in turn I and my crew was treated with respect. As far a critters, man I seen everything up there, elk, moose, bears grizz and blackies, and a huge herd of caribou cross over the mountain. It is gods country, and I just haven't made it up there hunting yet, but I will some day. I didn't take booze or drugs with me, and I didn't recreate with the locals. You residents hunters can stay away though, just let the critter population build for me!!lol Moosin

Laurence_Erickson
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Don't take my post wrong ,we left camp every day and had absolutely no problem .the two young guys just tried to scare us off ,but we didn't bite and thats where it ended. I did wonder every day if camp would be ther but it was and it is gorgeous country.

ianwuzhere
01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
a guy i know thats worked near ft ware for last 8 yrs has told me the moose populations are very very low there. sometimes working 100km north of ft ware for weeks and driving the roads and never seeing one moose. i find it hard to believe, but am told any animal any time of the year is in danger of being shot. Also told that when butchering the animals the animals are quartered and put in freezers whole/unwrapped...
From the pix ive seen looks very nice up there and the dollie fishing is very good as well...

Sitkaspruce
01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Well I got to tell you guys, I worked up there for 2 yrs. I never once had a problem with the locals! I left my camp up for my off shifts, and never suffered vandalism! I was camped at the Akie River, at 30 km on the finlay mainline with no issues. I did ask permission to camp there. Yah it is crown land, I am not required to ask, but out of repect I did, and in turn I and my crew was treated with respect. As far a critters, man I seen everything up there, elk, moose, bears grizz and blackies, and a huge herd of caribou cross over the mountain. It is gods country, and I just haven't made it up there hunting yet, but I will some day. I didn't take booze or drugs with me, and I didn't recreate with the locals. You residents hunters can stay away though, just let the critter population build for me!!lol Moosin

Moosin

Thats because you were working in the bush. The loggers up there have/had a lot to do with that. They have/did not put up with any BS and more than a few FN were put in their place buy more than just talk:eek:.

As for recreation, hunting and fishing is a different story. You are taking what they believe is theirs and theirs only. I know of a few folks who have had some nasty run-ins with the FN up there, and one of the first ?? has always been "are you hunting up here???". Not a nice feeling to be confronted by 6-7 guys when you have your 9 yo along.

There is a reason that 7-40/7-41 has the lowest odds for a bull moose draw....no moose and a lot of BS to deal with. Much better places to go have a nice relaxing hunt that that area

They do not call it Fort BE-ware for nothing..;)

Cheers

SS

hotload
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Flown into Fort Ware and held court and then on to Ingenika to do court many, many, times, and it truly is an unbelievable place in many aspects, but do heed some of the advice on here about some of the natives getting restless. Don't expect to just phone the RCMP and they will come running. They are vastly under staffed and they also don't want to stir any of their cohabitants if they don't have to. One of the times I was there the RCMP did something that some of the locals did agree with, and had all their vehicles torched including ATV's and Snowmobiles. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers on here, but this comes from fact, and BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, SEEN THAT.

bc7mm
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I have had a few stories told of peoples trips to this area, none have been pleasant experiences. One was down right scary. It only ended when the scatter gun came out, at this the group quickly backed off, they packed up and went home, never to return. Another group had to cut their way out on a logging road as there had been numerous trees dropped across it blocking their exit. Most leave someone in camp all the time. If it were me I'd find somewhere else to hunt.

GoatGuy
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I worked up there and we certainly had some run-ins in that country, vandalism being minor. The guys at interior helicopter have some wild stories as do the folks at the RCMP, the mines, who run the outfits and the fishing lodges up there. Lots of the stories end in violence.

If I was going to hunt I'd be flying in or leaving my vehicle at the RCMP lockup. Most of the RCMP are friendly at both Tackla and Ware - if you're heading in say hi and they might be willing to drop you off.

Like everything else there's the good and the bad. I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush as there are some great folks up there.

All in all if I was to head in there and didn't know the area I'd pick a lake and fly in.

livingston
01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
My cousin had a bad experince with the locals up there as well all over booze. Here's the thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12649

Fisher-Dude
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
There's a simple solution to this situation:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/yeafoli/130-066John-Wayne.jpg

Rob
01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info, sounds like a good place to not put LEH's in for. Hard to concentrate on having a nice hunt when you worried about getting attacked by the local pirates.Even though it is crown land, I'm enjoy living:mrgreen:

Glenny
01-03-2009, 08:37 AM
"Ive heard the natives are a little restless up there."

Yes they are. Quite.

ronfish
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Hmmm, never had a problem, treat all with respect and it will be returned

moosecaller
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM

?????? Sounds nice in theory but it doesn't always work in the real world.

Glenny
01-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Tried that. Walken down the fsr gave a wave to a passing truck. I got the finger. Lmme tell yah. I can't get any respect at all.....:sad:

Robert
01-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Dont know about the horse trails but keep away from the Fort Ware Natives.

Park your vehicles away from the Maninlines if you can or there is a good chance is will be shot up or vandelized. Bring extra tires and ball & hitch if you are towing a utility trailer, they may steal what they can and then you are buggered ... i have heard a number of stories camps being shot up and items being stolen, etc....

My brothers and there friend hunted there 4 years ago- camped on the mainline near the Akie river. They got all there booze stolen, and almost go in a fight with the natives camped a 1/2 mile up the road. One of their guys was in the bush with the rifle during the altercation with the natives while the natives were drinking there beer. The indians also wanted half of their moose and said they were going back to get there buddies to finish the fight. The brothers got the RCMP invloved but they didnt do much so they left before it really got ugly.

I also hunted ther 8 years ago and camped on the next road up from the Akie. I shot the only bull i seen and didnt have any problems with the natives.

Watch your step if you go and play it smart....

Robert

Nooker77
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Dont do it!! Not worth the hastle we used to go up the oslinka side...It used to be great hunting up by the mine...seams to get hammered pretty hard EARLIER than it should..whitey is not welcome in that neck of the woods...got to know a couple of the local RCMP that spent time in Ware....they said its what hell would/should look like!! Nasty stories....Lots of nice country around...fly past Ware if you can...PM me and i can give you more politically incorrect stories!!

BCHunterFSJ
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Hate to say it, but I agree with Fisher-Dude... Send in John Wayne!

What a ridiculous situation to have in our "Beautiful B.C."
Would any politicians take on this problem? Nah, it would be political suicide.

rgv
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
i flew out of finbow for a couple months in 93, and i agree that I would never leave an unattended camp or vehicle out there. Bear Lake and Takla are just about as bad.

bighorn
06-22-2009, 08:45 PM
been up that way twice,3 yrs ago and 4 yrs. ago
first trip got 2 50 inch moose,second time got 3 smaller bulls.did a fair bit of elk hunting,even had a sheep tag seen some ewes and lambs up at the old mine,i love hunting sheep when you can drive up to there elevation.lots of sheep trails.never had any problem with the natives.used to go get fuel and cigarettes couple times a week at the reserve they were very pleasant.if it wasn't so far would go again.i,m pretty sure you could get a sheep up there if you got out of the truck.

ianwuzhere
06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
i hear the women are meaner than the men??

silvertipp
06-22-2009, 09:49 PM
why would you want to go somwhere hunting that sounds like you very well could get shot or shoot someone when we have so many better places to hunt
i couldnt imagine what it would be like to have live wiyh killing somone over huntin gear

silvertipp
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
is it realy that bad

moosecaller
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
is it realy that bad

If you doubt how bad it is ignore all the warnings and go check it out for yourself...... Let us know how that works out for you!
Like most people you do not want to believe this can happen in a civilized country such as ours, all you need to do is go look for yourself and then judge the truth to peoples experiences in this area.(and a few others like it)

silvertipp
06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
is the back end of the lake as bad

moosinaround
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
is the back end of the lake as bad
If you need to go there, here's some simple advice. Go up there and make sure you are self sufficient. Leave the booze and drugs back home. Camp back in the sticks, preferrably on forest company landings or areas disturbed by industrial activity. Don't go into the villages, you are advertising! Be respectful of first nations people, they do use the land for traditional purposes up there! Find out a little about the activities they are performing during the time you are up there. There may be berry picking camps, or fishing camps up the same time you are hunting. A phone call to the head office of the Tsey key Dene, or Fort Ware band may go a long way to showing your intentions, and shows respect!. It is a very beautiful part of BC, which is worth the time to go and visit! PM me if you have more questions, there are definately some spots worth seeing! Moosin

silvertipp
06-24-2009, 03:31 PM
thanks for the great advise moosin

Rob
06-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone thats been up there have ay photos? Sounds like beautifull country

180grainer
06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Ive heard the natives are a little restless up there.
Don't believe everything you hear.

BiG Boar
06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
yikes! Guess where I have put in for moose....7-41. Ahhhh!!!!!

Jagermeister
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think the MOE would put this warning on the first page of the Hunting Regulations for the Omenica area just for the fun of it. There must be some substance for them to issue this. Check the link, top right hand corner.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0809/docs/Region_7A.pdf

Devilbear
06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
It is time to pressure the Provincial Government to end this racist travesty and REMIND Gordo of his original promises about "equality" made before he was first elected. The "Feds" also need a wake-up call on this and both levels of government should be reminded that violence toward taxpaying Canadians by ANY minority group could very well result in a major backlash......

Go armed, go in groups, guard your vehicles and camp and REMEMBER, CANADA BELONGS to ALL Canadians!!!

Sitkaspruce
06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
yikes! Guess where I have put in for moose....7-41. Ahhhh!!!!!

There is a reason (actually a few GOOD reasons)why the odds are so low:biggrin::wink:

Good luck on the hunt Bigbore14. You should have put back in where you went last year....:wink:

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
There is a reason (actually a few GOOD reasons)why the odds are so low:biggrin::wink:

Good luck on the hunt Bigbore14. You should have put back in where you went last year....:wink:

Cheers

SS

I was thinking about it, but something was calling fly in this year. It was a good spot, and I really appriciated all the stuff you helped me with last year. Still have one of your maps on my desk right here next to me! Cheers, hopfully I dont get hunted.

TheDuckinator
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow sounds like there's lots of excitement back there... have fun lol

RiverBoatFantasy
09-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Well I have never been to Fort Ware but I was recently in Alexis Creek and I must say I was treated very fine and I felt like Elvis Presley:p. I know, I know, Alexis Creek is NOT Fort Ware but just saying.

Also, the last time I was in Carcross, Yukon I partied with all manner of local folks. I hunted in thier traditional areas. I had a great time and have many new friends whose homes I could walk into any day of the year and be welcome. I know, I know, it is NOT Fort Ware but just saying................

Being polite, respectful, and real goes a long way. (Did I also mention incredibly handsome;-))