PDA

View Full Version : Steelies on the cowichan

000buck
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
going to try my hand at steel heading on the cowichan river 01 01 09.
wondering if anyone would like to offer helpfull hints or a 2nd choice pool
( never give up a honey hole ) was considering stoltz pools or somewhere near skutz

proguide66
12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
When I lived on the island I was a chronic Cow river fisher...drift fished it for yrs. I used to start off the season Jan 1 , no matter how hung over!!..lol...fact is , late winter /early spring is best...Jan 1 you can find fish , just have to work it hard.
I can remember more than a few Jan 1 steely's at the ' Bible Camp'...last time I was there the walking brige was blown out...might be a new one?....either way , you can still walk it on both sides and find a place to cast.....also might be a good bet to hit the 'Pump house' , near the Hospital...I would start right at the bottom of the gravel road...not working out , walk up stream...lots of good spots to try and get luckywith out having to pack back to the vehicle.
As far as anyone giving up ' honey holes' on the Cowichan...lol...there isnt a 'secret' piece of shore left on that river!!
Another good spot to walk into is down river from Skutz falls park...drive across the brige , hang a left...drive down river for 5 er so km's ( bin a while,maybe 7 er 8...you will find a de activated road going left from the main( actually the first left you can find...well , back then anyway)...have to park at the main...follow it for maybe 20 minutes...down hill...puts you right across the river from the boat launch...actually maybe 1000 yrds up river...nailed tonnes of fish from that point down river....fun day.
Anyway.....good luck..hopefully the water isnt a choc milkshake!
ps...I MIGHT be willing to part with an 18ft fibreglass drift boat..new oars , and has a trailer under it...as well anchor.
good luck...

Frango
12-31-2008, 09:57 AM
This early in the season I would recommend trying the lower end first.Park at the pump house and walk down to the river.The Indian pool ,pump house pool ,s pool and a couple of others should hold fish.If your not sure where the pump house is ? Go up the hill from downtown Duncan as if you where going to the hospital,first left up the hill well take you to the pump house.I forget the name of the road.I used to live near the river and always went fishing on boxing day and always got fish.Good luck.

mikethemilkman
01-02-2009, 08:02 PM
if water is not to cloudy pump house is good! a little eary for bible camp pool. dont really matter get out and fish:grin:

steel_ram
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
The fish can travel up the river pretty quick this time of year. When I use to fish the Cowichan a lot, I did very well fishing the upper river, above Skutz falls away from the crouds in December. I don't know if there's anything left of this early run. Big browns up there also punctuated the day.

Hiking the South side trail between Holt Creek and the Bible camp usually has some spots fishable in any conditions.

000buck
01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
if water is not to cloudy pump house is good! a little eary for bible camp pool. dont really matter get out and fish:grin:

Closed to fishing from the boundary sign above the pump house to the allenby rd bridge??

000buck
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
The fish can travel up the river pretty quick this time of year. When I use to fish the Cowichan a lot, I did very well fishing the upper river, above Skutz falls away from the crouds in December. I don't know if there's anything left of this early run. Big browns up there also punctuated the day.

Hiking the South side trail between Holt Creek and the Bible camp usually has some spots fishable in any conditions.

going to do this!!

porcupine
01-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I post weekly reports on the Cowichan and lots of other areas at
http://www.fishingvictoria.com/reports.asp
The people that I spoke to who had fished this past wek said it was very cold, very low, very clear and no steelies in the fly fishing area at the top end of the river. I'll know more by the time I update the site on Monday.
________
mflb vaporizer (http://mflbvaporizer.com)