PDA

View Full Version : best dog for bear

green machine
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
whats your pick for the best dog for bear hunting, from finding a trail chasing and treeing or holding in one spot

ElkMasterC
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Haven't done it, but I've heard Karelian Bear Dogs are pretty darned good.

Here's a website: http://www.northernlightswildlife.com/karelian_bear_dogs.htm

(Interesting reading too...lol)

Chuck
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I knew a fellow years ago who claimed that an Airedale made a good bear dog and that's why he owned one. I can't say for sure, perhaps someone else might know if this is a fact.

K-1
12-30-2008, 07:38 PM
That's like asking what makes the best wife, blond, red head, brunette, :lol:or what is the best truck. You can train just about any dog to do what you want if he is willing, get one from bear hunting blood lines "DO YOUR RESEARCH". There is a lot of guys on site that hunt with hounds. There is an old saying ' You will chase a lot of bears with a lot of hounds but you will tree a lot of bears with a Plott'. Don't get hung up on 1 breed & don't get colour blind, a good dog will come in any colour or size.

Glenny
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
"That's like asking what makes the best wife, blond, red head, brunette, :lol:"

No brainer...Red Head!!

houndogger
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
As K1 said all the different hounds will tree bear for ya. As will some of the cur breeds. I wouldn't mess with a Karelian dog as that ain't what you reallly want. Different purpose. Steve Mohr on the mainland is supposed to have some dandy plotts. As K1 said look for someone who is breeding bear stock hounds. They come in all the hound breeds.

Good luck

P.S. It is very idective and can be a pretty exspensive hobby getting all set up with what you will need.

later Dave

Barracuda
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Haven't done it, but I've heard Karelian Bear Dogs are pretty darned good.

Here's a website: http://www.northernlightswildlife.com/karelian_bear_dogs.htm

(Interesting reading too...lol)

sorry but those dogs are joke for hunting bears.

as K1 says a bear dog is what it is.

lots of good hounds

The wifes dog lucy is a Blue / Walker
She is a good bear dog and as she got older she got less inclined to get chewed up but she still gets hurt time to time but can tree a bear alone if the bear cooperates.

I am no longer allowed to run her without the wife in case Lucy loses one day so she is turning into more of a pet/ hunting dog where as the other two are still hunting dogs first - pets second.

Personally i want a smart dog with Juuuust enough grit, but not a tough one .
Because i rely on the hounds voice for location and feedback most of the time i want them loud enough to carry a KM or so when they have something (gps system would make this less important) so that is also a consideration . Lucy is great on the bears but she isnt loud and her voice sound pretty raspy like a chainsaw and doesnst carry well like the other two .

Find a dog from someone that loves the sport and not a dog trader or someone that simply raises dogs to be sold for profit.
I saw some really nice plotts with nice temperments in the spring and plotts are known primarily as bear dogs so the chances for a good one might be better then some others. (its all a gamble though)

you also might want to consider an Airdale from hunting stock I have often thought about one in the pack for extra grit would be good for bears. (fellow on here has some)

good dogs come in all colours and stripes but in general good dogs come from good hunting genes .

Jagermeister
12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I think that an Akita or Karelian would be good dogs for bear providing that you're not pursuing the bruins. These dogs are not known for vocalizing. I had an Akita and she was good at treeing the bruins that came into the backyard, but if the bear decided to run, the chase was on and I never knew where she would chase them to. I guess that a person could use some of the telemetry gadgets that abound to track this type of dog.
Œ‹‹‹.

lilhoss
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Hunted with my brother's bluetick hounds and they worked great.Just as with cats though,the bear can tree right away,or it'll make you call home and say you'll be late for supper.Know your area,cut off roads,etc.Tracking collars, if you get serious enough,and fresh dogs are always good.Good luck,it is a blast with the dogs!!

green machine
12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
thanks for all the info so far guys has anybody here ever used leopard curs for bear

chilcotin hillbilly
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Leopard Curs are good and a little easier to handle then a hound. I use Black and tan, and Walker's for bears and cats, but my best bear dog is 1/2 bordercollie 1/4 german shepard 1/4 golden lab. She is as smart as it gets and trees 10 or more bears ayear on her own. She is faster then any hound I have hunted with which makes for quicker trees. I just crossed her with my black and tan this year and her 7 month old pup just finished his first cat hunt and looked like an allstar. a bit of both worlds in the pups.:razz:

ElkMasterC
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
sorry but those dogs are joke for hunting bears.

Well, like I said, I don't do it, and passed on what i had heard.
Just trying to help! ;-)

Hey Chilcotin: I read your post about your best bear dog, the border collie mix, and how she can take off and tree bears on her own.
Any idea why the bear just doesn't stand it's ground and kill the dog?
Instinct, more hounds coming up, what?

Just curious.

horshur
12-30-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks for all the info so far guys has anybody here ever used leopard curs for bear

I have had some experience with Leopards...not very many in BC...far as I know I may have one of only two..there was a fellow in westwold who had some however he passed away and some of the dogs were shipped back to the states..

you would have better luck finding good local Plotts.

If you have your heart set on a leopard I could put you in touch with some breeders in the states. Just private message me.

horshur
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Just trying to help! ;-)

Hey Chilcotin: I read your post about your best bear dog, the border collie mix, and how she can take off and tree bears on her own.

Just curious.

My border collies treed bears regular on the ranch and while riding range...

the bears tree for the same reason you jump when a ruffy flushes..JMO

chilcotin hillbilly
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Just trying to help! ;-)

Just curious.
Bears over the ages have been chased and harrassed by wolves and the easiest way for them to protect themselves was to tree. Occationally you find bears that want to fight, thats were the smarts and quickness comes in. The collies are incredibly quick and are able to dodge and react to the charge of a bear. I believe with hound hunting that two many dogs will get a few hurt or killed as the hounds in the front have no were to go when the charge takes place.

husky30-06
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I think that the best bear dog would be the one that does not leave your a$$ there for the bear to munch on........:eek::eek::mrgreen::mrgreen:

green machine
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
good point

Spokerider
01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Leopard Curs are good and a little easier to handle then a hound. I use Black and tan, and Walker's for bears and cats, but my best bear dog is 1/2 bordercollie 1/4 german shepard 1/4 golden lab. She is as smart as it gets and trees 10 or more bears ayear on her own. She is faster then any hound I have hunted with which makes for quicker trees. I just crossed her with my black and tan this year and her 7 month old pup just finished his first cat hunt and looked like an allstar. a bit of both worlds in the pups.:razz:

I'd like to see what that mix looks like! Will you post a pic?

Trailmaster
01-01-2009, 11:09 AM
MY cousins leopard loves to chase bears, I have talked to a few hound guys about this, and most don't suggest it. The bears around here tend to just beat the crap out of the dogs, it can get costly. I would think if you going for big bears you would want at least 4 dogs and a good sized breed, i'm sure most bear will run from just a couple hounds, but if you get on a big bear it dosn't take a lot to tear them up. just my 2 cents. I do have a black and tan I use him to track after the bears are down and out.

grumpy
01-01-2009, 03:03 PM
1st choice bear bred plott
2nd bear bred redbone
3rd bear bred treeing walker

look for a medium sized dog 55lbs they are more agile
check out one of the hound sites like

http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/