PDA

View Full Version : tarp shelter

ratherbefishin
10-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I just got home from a moose looking trip[we looked at moose, not shot a moose]and one peice of equipment worked superbly- a 10x20 portable garage shelter.Lots of room to store gear out of the rain, sit under, cook etc.Its a pretty compact package too, and sets up and takes down quickly.$200 is a small price to pay for being able to stay dry.Mine uses a 20x40 heavy duty tarp-the ones with a fitted cover might even be better.If I had one of those,I think I'd opt for a big oval stove,if I could figure out a way to get a chimney through it without melting the cover.

Red Foreman
10-10-2005, 04:04 PM
How about buying a cheap 20x40 tarp and cutting a hole in the middle and have a fire inside like a tepee?

ratherbefishin
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
if you could enclose the tarpshelter, a woodstove offers far better efficiency advantages than an open fire.One option I was thinking of was to make small solid panel, possably on a sidewall with a chimney pass through that would accomodate a woodstove.The tarp could have a cutout that was fastened to the panel.There's nothing like being warm and dry and having enough room.A large walltent would work-but at considerably higher cost than the tarp garage

ch valley hunter
10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Where did you buy it from?

ratherbefishin
10-11-2005, 07:00 AM
tarp shelters are widely available from costco to hardware stores-prices vary from about $200 to $300,depending on whether they have a plain tarp or fitted covers.

Sikanni Stalker
10-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Man I think the best tent camp I have ever seen was a tarp tent at the Laprise. They built an A-Frame shelter about 10 feet high, they had a separate entry, 4 cots along the walls and a stove at the far end. It was warm inside and lots of room. It probably took them 1/2 hr. to put up and it was simple. Probably ran them less than 200 not including stove.

fozzy
10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I used to bring one of those hunting, it was awesome to keep everything out of the weather. This year I brought a 10x10 shelter, also from Costco and that worked pretty good.

We camped in the same spot for about 6 years, this year another group was using that spot and they also were dug in deep with a big garage Doh!

J_T
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Depends where inside you want your stove. Does the garage not have open ends that require separate closure? If so, frame in a door on one end and your fireplace/chimney on the other. You can use either a chimney with 2 90 deg angles to go out the wall, or one 45 degree departure angle and vent it out the end wall.

You can then either cut a tarp to fit, or use a partial sheet of plywood (IE cut 6' x 2' and let it sit on the ground, then tarp around it.

But you can usually just cut a hole in tarp, that is about 4 inches back from the chimney and the tarp won't melt at all.

My brother has a wall tent and the chimney vents out the roof, he cut a hole in his tarp just a bit larger than the chimney with no problems.

I have a wall tent that vents the chimney out the back wall.

JT

ratherbefishin
10-11-2005, 01:41 PM
well,I know one thing-having enough room to keep stuff dry is a huge advantage.The one thing you do have to remember is to anchor them down- they are suceptable to high wind.This is my third year using it.
I hadn't thought about just cutting a hole 4'' bigger than the chimney-but that should work too.Maybe even pop riveting a square of sheet metal in might also be an option, if you had one of the heavy duty tarps-I doubt if the light ones would hold it

Sniper
10-12-2005, 09:19 AM
I used pop rivets and a small square of aluminium that I cut a hole for the chimney through with a jig saw, used silicone to seal around the edge of the aluminium.

Tuffcity
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
You can also buy a big square of vermiculite impregnated cotton and have it sewn into the back wall, cut out your stove pipe hole in that. That's what you normally see in wall tents- looks like asbestos but isn't. I got a piece from Jeune Bros. in Victoria but any tent and awning place might have it.

RC

ratherbefishin
10-12-2005, 03:07 PM
what's it cost?

Tuffcity
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
can't recall exactly but it's cheap.