PDA

View Full Version : traditional quivers

pupper
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Just wondering what type of quiver is best for a checkmate falcon recurve?

they seem expensive, does anyone know where to get a used one?

nomad
12-29-2008, 08:38 PM
didn't that bow have a single 2 blade arrow holder on it? I tried a 4 arrow removeable on my 1st recurve and found it affected my shooting too much. Finally decided to try a leg quiver and that was the ticket for me! Love the light weight of the recurve on its own! When I was looking for a bow mounted quiver I'd seen a 2 piece on Ebay that simply slides over the limbs of any bow. Maybe that's an option to check out for you. Good luck with the new bow.

Will
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes it will come with a single arrow Skookum stalking quiver attached...it's actually handy when you need to make a stalk and drop all your gear...with one arrow knocked it gives you a backup...well one anyways:wink:

I generally prefer not to have a "quiver" attached to my Trad Bows the ones that hold more then one arrow look cumbersome and well just Fugly on a Trad Bow IMO.

Best to get a nice "back quiver" or a hip quiver ! There are some Beautiful ones out there and once your used to packing it you won't go back :-D

If you really want a quiver attached to the bow the ones made by Selway are about the best looking ones out there for Wood bows.

The 'Hummer'
12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Sorry guys, and not trying to steal this thread but my sisters partner has a Chekmate Attila he's asked me to sell for him. Seeing as mention has been made of Chekmate traditional bows has been made I thought I'd ask a few questions. I'm more into compounds but I was thinking perhaps I should pick it up as it's like new and has half a dozen wood feather fletched arrows with it. Something else to 'play' with? What's the opinions of the Attila??

Will
12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
What's the opinions of the Attila??
Buy it..........Chekmate's are a sickness.
I've only handled one Attila...Nice little Recurve they are. Never shot it. The limb tips curl forward abit more then some but I guess thats where the name "Attila" comes from:wink:

You really can't go wrong with a ChekMate Bow....I heard someone once say "You can get a Bow for more money, but you can't get more bow for the money "

Sums them up Nicely I thought.
Buy it ! :-D

The 'Hummer'
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Buy it..........Chekmate's are a sickness.
I've only handled one Attila...Nice little Recurve they are. Never shot it. The limb tips curl forward abit more then some but I guess thats where the name "Attila" comes from:wink:

You really can't go wrong with a ChekMate Bow....I heard someone once say "You can get a Bow for more money, but you can't get more bow for the money "

Sums them up Nicely I thought.
Buy it ! :-D
You smooth talker you!! I guess I was looking for an excuse and you've just given me one.:biggrin:

pupper
12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
lets get the thread back on topic to traditional quivers.

The 'Hummer'
12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
lets get the thread back on topic to traditional quivers.
Sorry. Didn't mean to steal the thread.

greybark
12-30-2008, 09:27 PM
:-) Hey Pupper. a bow mounted quiver has the advantage of acting like a stabilizer .
:wink: However bow mounted quivers in particular those that slide on the limbs to the fadeouts will slow arrow speed down slightly . Bows with smallish risers such as yours are more affected due to the bending moment in that riser . Two single brass inserts eliminate some of this effect .
:lol: When hunting in windy (mountain) conditions the sharp gusty winds will have an effect on your accuracy thru bow movement and the mental uncertainty of the shot .
I find the hip quiver served me best over the years .
See you at the indoor 3-d .

gitnadoix
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
I use one of the Selway slip on types on my Checkmate Crusader and love having the arrows there.

Some times in the thick crap on the coast ya gotta dump gear off your back or hip to slip quietly through and under the brush to get into postition. I find slidding the bow with arrows through ahead or behind me easier than wearing a pack, or something hanging on my hip. These thing always seem to hang up, but maybe thats just me.

I also have convinced myself (and I am easily fooled) that it acts like a stabilizer. I find the extra weight not worth even talking about and I hunt with six, 625 grain arrows in mine.

If you slide them far enough up onto the fade out/riser I doubt that they are going effect speed enought to make a difference. But even if they did drop you bow from say 165'/sec to 150'/sec you talking about a .04 of a second over 20 yards.

All of this is just personal taste of course, but I find no probs with em.