PDA

View Full Version : dog handlers and cougar hunting

Wildfoot
12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I've been thinking of trying a cougar hunt sometime in the future.. and I was wondering how cougar hunting with dogs works. Is there operations where you hire a handler and dogs for the day? or do you have to know someone with dogs who will take you out?

Im interested in the dogs as well. How are hounds as more of a pet / weekend hunting dog? Or are hounds best suited as strictly hunting partners?

I've noticed from most the pics on here of successful cougar hunts that the cougar is usually treed. I am guessing you shoot the cat out of the tree. Would bowhunting present a much more difficult hunt, or since the cat is treed, is the stalking part of the bowhunt negated?

How much meat is on a cougar? Would it be comparable to a doe deer?

husky30-06
12-29-2008, 05:59 PM
locally I have a friend who runs a cat hunting outfit. Bearcat outfitters I think. I do not know the set up for just anyone to hunt but he has been pretty busy over the past years. They just got one the other week near kamloops, a massive cat. I will call and see if he wil let me post the pics.

ElectricDyck
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
How much meat is on a cougar? Would it be comparable to a doe deer?

The cougar we recently butchered I was told was an average size and we ended up with about 1/3 less meat than an average doe.

SHAKER
12-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Im interested in the dogs as well. How are hounds as more of a pet / weekend hunting dog? Or are hounds best suited as strictly hunting partners?

LOL........... I sure wouldn't bring mine into the house! I didn't name my male Ottis "the distroyer" for noth'n. Some are used as normal pets but in my experience hounds act like 4 year old kids untill the day they die. Don't listen too well, get into everything and are noisy.

I've noticed from most the pics on here of successful cougar hunts that the cougar is usually treed. I am guessing you shoot the cat out of the tree. Would bowhunting present a much more difficult hunt, or since the cat is treed, is the stalking part of the bowhunt negated?

Bow hunting is as easy as a gun hunt. The shot is not top part of the hunt but the chase is what it's really all about.

How much meat is on a cougar? Would it be comparable to a doe deer?[/quote]

Front shoulders are tough, hinds arn't too bad and the loins are exellent. Don't expect to fill a freezer if you get one. More like a couple great meals on special occations.