PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Season Comes to an End (Pics)

Hunter4life
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
It started off with an adventure into the alpine to spot and stalk some giant velvet mulies with my older brother. After 4 of years of exploring the alpine we were pretty confident that this year would be the ice breaker and we would get our first alpine buck. After the grueling hike in we were finding deer all over the mountain. On the first evening we found a buck we called rocky and even put a stalk on him. Half way through the stalk we were busted and rocky sky lined himself knowing he was safe way up in the rocks.

The next morning we were at our vantage point and sure enough we spotted the buck were we left him the night before. Once he bedded down the stalk was on. After getting to the same elevation as him we dropped the packs and went into stealth mode. Two hours later I spotted the tips of his antlers sticking up through the grass 150 yards away. My bro kept an eye on him while i sat down to try and calm my nerves. Sure enough after a couple minutes Rocky stepped out into the open and the 270 did its job. Rocky is a 6x6 with a 26 inch spread.

For the next couple days we tried to find one more but after several failed stalks we had to call it a trip. However still a good start to the season.

Sept. 4

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rocky3.JPG

Next in line was a fly in trip for Stone Sheep!!! This time my brother in law and his partner were leading the adventure since it was only my second sheep hunt. After setting up base camp we wasted no time starting the long hike into the back country.

The first morning we were welcomed by a fresh dump of snow. We glassed the first baisin and nothing was to be found until we started hiking and I picked up the binos to find a legal ram way down at the end baisin. In the end it got away but it would have been to easy to get my ram on the first morning.

The next day we continued to pack our camp further into the mountains. As we took off our packs for a break I looked through the binos and found a goat way down in the grass slopes away from the cliffs. I couldn't resist the oppurtunity to get such an "easy" goat. After getting to within 400 yards there was absolutly no way to get closer and I had to take my shot from there. Day 2 ended with me getting my first billy. He was 8.5" long with a thick winter coat.

Sept 21

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep21.jpg

Day three: we were all the way in the back where we set up our spike camp. That morning we found three rams down in the valley and sure enough one was legal. On our first stalk we got to about 600 yards before running out of cover. On the second we decided to take the risk and walk out into open through the valley. The rams were still relaxed when we went back out of their view. Now we were able to get with in 250 yards. After picking out which ram was the legal one, I was able to put him down with a 300 win mag. The ram was 9.5 years old, 35" long with 14" bases.

Sept 22

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep2.jpg

After my partners passed on several legal rams we decided to spend the rest of the trip at base camp. We caught some fresh fish and my brother in law finished the trip off by getting a young 6 point elk, 970 meters from camp.

After spending all november chasing blacktails around with my bow I was finally outsmarted. Finally December 1 came and I was able to use my sechelt archery elk LEH. After 16 days of chasing around a 5 point and a spike I was able to connect on the spike. The last morning I was able to sneak within 35 yards of the 5 point after several hours of fighting the extremely frigid temperature. However, he never gave me a clear shot. Minutes after the 5 point was out of range the spike came into an opening 45 yards away and my arrow found its way into his lungs.

After packing him out my 2008 season has finally come to end. It has been a season I will be never forget.

Dec 21

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/SECHELT_CHRISTMAS_007.JPG

H4L

sneg
12-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Sure nice hunt you had this year.Congrats on all your animals.good job.

TIKA 300
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Great job on all the STEAKS
Specialy like that buck.
TK

BEARSLAYER
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
That is a good title for this piece! You cant ask for a better year than that. It sure is nice when the hunting gods smile on you. congats

Krico
12-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Once in a while the stars align themselves for a great season. This year was obviously your turn. Nice velvet on the mulie, great late season coats on the sheep and goat. Awesome!

bruin
12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats going to be a hard one to top. Way to go.

mark
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
That is certainly a great season of success there! You did way better than most guys! BC is a great place to live!!!!

ThinAir
12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Congrats on a great season!

Your off to great hunting career!!:-D

BlacktailStalker
12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow, thats a season that might never be topped.

frenchbar
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Congrats big time hunter4life! a awesome season for sure.

ElectricDyck
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Great season, nice pictures, must have been a heavy plane ride out, congrats!

SKYLINE
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Congrats on an amazing season. That's one season you won't soon forget.

BiG Boar
12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
What tasted the best?

Dirty
12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
What a great season! It is nice to see family hunting together and harvesting some great animals. Congrats, I am envious.

Blainer
12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
That season requires special mention.
"YOU ARE THE MAN"
It may take some hunters a lifetime for such accomplishments.
I imagine the taxidermy bill is a steep one.
How many total days spent in the field?
Good on ya!

Everett
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Sometimes it all comes together savour it while you have it. I had that season last year may never top it but what the hell you can still try.:mrgreen:
Congrats on a kick ass season and good pics too.

Brambles
12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Unreal season, definitly a dream come true.

Will
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I'd say you done alright...:wink:
Congrats on some Great Trophies ! :-D

Mik
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Congrats on all the game. Now that is an awesome hunting season. Great animals.

Dirty
12-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Out of curiosity, What did the Mule Deer Score?

riflebuilder
12-30-2008, 07:08 AM
hell of a season congrats.

hunter1947
12-30-2008, 07:33 AM
You two had a very successful hunting year ,you don't get it any better then this years hunts.

Very nice four animals you two got ,congrats to the two of you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

stanway
12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the awesome season. A lot of people would take a lifetime to do that well.

I am looking forward to your review on next season.:wink:

James

kennyj
12-30-2008, 08:12 AM
You had an awesome season! Thanks for posting the great pictures and storys.
kenny

rifleman
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
holy crap, did you ever have a dream season!!! That mulie is huge. I bet that young elk is delicious. I hope you have a good paying job because you have some real nice trophies there that should be going on the wall.
Congrats on a very successful year!!!!

bridger
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
congrats on some really great hunts. enjoyed the pics thanks for sharing.

quadrakid
12-30-2008, 08:30 PM
each one of those animals is a fine critter that would make a guys season. you had a helluva season. thanks for a great post.

Caveman
12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Great Pics, Awesome Year, Great Memories, Congrats!!!

Kitimat Killer
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
way to go on your season it's going to be a tuff one to beat love all the animals

kk

sukram
12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Congrats Brother! You had a awsome season. I am impressed on how hard you worked to get your first bow kill. Too bad it was not the 5 piont, but the spike tasts good.Good job.Now where are you going to hang all the trophies? I think you are going to need a big trophy room soon.

Hunter4life
01-01-2009, 02:30 AM
I never scored the mule deer before I brought it to the taxidermist but I should be getting it back soon. I spent roughly 50 days hunting this year not including the 20+ mornings and evenings chasing local blacktails. However, I don't think i will be able to manage that again for a long time. So far the elk has been the best meat but the mule deer is a very close second. Thanks for the compliments.

H4L