PDA

View Full Version : Bitter cold buffalo...

BCHunterFSJ
12-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Just came back from 5 days of bison hunting in the Halfway River area.
Temperatures fluctuated between -30 and -40. We stayed in a tarped-in shelter and rode snow machines great distances. Needless to say, I developed some pretty serious frostbite on my face. Came home tired to the bone, sore all over, and COLD right through. And no, I did not shoot a bison. Could have got a cow or a calf on the first day, but decided to pass them up. So I guess buffalo hunting (especially in such extreme conditions) is not a "sure thing"! I don't want to discourage anybody, but if you ever come up for such a late season hunt, be prepared!
Oh well, I guess I'll try again some 10 or so years from now when maybe I'll draw another LEH tag...maybe for an earlier season!!

tomahawk
12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
It goes that way some times, too bad it didn't work out better for you.

I've been there 3 times in the last 12 yrs, had -25 weather as well while we stayed in a tent. We scored 2 bulls the first 2 trips and didn't see any bison the last time at all. Better luck next trip!

Bighorn hunter
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Was the outfitter working the area when you were there?I was up with my dad at this same time two years ago and the outfitter was active and it sure made it a lot tougher to find a good bull

Mik
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I was up there 8 yrs. ago and know how tough it could be. it is a beautiful area. To let an animal go the way you did is awesome, not many people would do that sort of thing. It's a hard hunt any way you look at it.

Steeleco
12-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Too bad about your trip, hope you mend quick.

Your tale has me wondering why they leave these hunts so late, if after all. they are intent on population control, why can't they let guys hunt sooner??

jeeper
12-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Hunting is not about shooting an animal but the quest to get one !

Bruce

PGK
12-30-2008, 02:46 AM

Your tale has me wondering why they leave these hunts so late, if after all. they are intent on population control, why can't they let guys hunt sooner??

I've been confused by this too, and mean to find out more about it. I'm hearing talk of these introduced plains bison spilling over into good sheep range, and liking it there. If they are intent on controlling the herd, get on with it and open some more seasons up!!

hunter1947
12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
If you where after the meat then you should have dumped the calf.

If you where after a bull for a trophy then you did the right thing passing the cow or calf.

It is very hard to hunt in these conditions and you would not catch me out there hunting in these conditions hope your frost bit will heal in a short time.

If I where you I would be putting in for an earlier bison LEH draw in the new year and the years to come.

Good luck with the next bison hunt ,I'm sure you will connect the next time around http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Sitkaspruce
12-30-2008, 09:38 AM

One of the reasons is the weather pushes the bison down into the valleys, where they are obviously more concentrated. The bison summer/fall way up high, near the sheep and summer elk range. It is tough going when they are up that high, not many people wanting to pack a bison off a hill:p.

They do have earlier hunts now, in Nov., so they are trying to spread out the hunt times and allow more oppurtunity.

cheers

SS

Bighorn hunter
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
some years the early hunts are alot harder becuse of little or no snow,which can be fine if the bison are where you have quad access.But when there is snow you are able to go where you aren't aloud to with a quad and see alot more country

Steeleco
12-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys, as you can likely tell Bison LEH is one I've never and likely will never spend $6 on.

Apologies to BCHFSJ for the hijack :frown:

bridger
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

good question. the other one is why do we as residents when we get lucky enough to draw a tag have to hunt in prescribed time period where as the outfitter can take his quota when ever he wants too. when the weather is good or when the bison are down in the valley. the original reason given to us about the time frame is that moe was afraid that having an early bison season would result in a heavy harvest of other species in the area as no one goes bison hunting alone. the early hunts are great. about four years ago my wife got a tag on the halfway side for the october hunt weather was great and she got a nice bull.

bridger
12-30-2008, 01:00 PM
have hunted the halfway in the late season and you are bang on about how grim it is. It would be nice to have an earlier season. Perhaps this is something that could be accomplished if enough political pressure was applied to moe

mark
12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
have hunted the halfway in the late season and you are bang on about how grim it is. It would be nice to have an earlier season. Perhaps this is something that could be accomplished if enough political pressure was applied to moe

This applies to a all that are wondering about the late season thing!
I believe they simply trying to spread out the hunting pressure over a period of a few months. As well hunt the migratory bison that wander into the farmland in the winter. These bison are a big problem for the local ranchers, as they break down fences, and chase livestock away from hay. I believe the ranches with bison on them are quite friendly to hunters to come and get em!
I had a draw back in 96. 100 draws opened on the same day, every draw holder had a buddy or 2. Twas quite the sh!t show to say the least. Since then they've tried to spread out the pressure!

silvercreek20
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM

I think they spread it out because of the amount of people that have to use the halfway river trail at one time? Just a guess. We were up for the Nov 15 to 30th draw this year and got a nice young bull on the first morning but I kid you not, I counted 14 quads all in a row heading out on opening morning. I would suggest to anyone who gets that draw at that time, to go on the second week and let everyone else tag out and leave.

bridger
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I agree that staggering the season openers spreads out the pressure, but wouldn't having the tag good for the entire season maybe do the same thing. guys would soon figure out when they wanted to go and it would make scheduling your hunting time easier? just a thot

David Heitsman
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
I would want it to remain spread out to maintain some quality of the hunt. You can imagine the gong show if everyone was there at the same time. I think the LEH odds also reflect the different periods and this way you can have a choice as to what suits your sched or type of hunt you prefer.

Buck
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Shame you didn't connect. I have been trying for a tag for a long time will heed your advice about the weather.I'm sure it was a great trip all the same.

daycort
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Was it ever cold in the Halfway River valley the last 4 weeks. My coldest day here ahs been 44 below plus the wind chill. I bet hunting buff in that weather really wasn't all that fun... I bet you must have some pics of you and your gain freezing to death after your sled rides... I had a few frost bite marks on my face from mid december just now healed..

BCHunterFSJ
12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Daycourt wanted to see my cheeks... And no, it wasn't much fun!
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/ModellingthecheeksJPGRS.jpg

My "friends" made me take off my balaclava and hat to get this picture!

BCRiverBoater
12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree that staggering the season openers spreads out the pressure, but wouldn't having the tag good for the entire season maybe do the same thing. guys would soon figure out when they wanted to go and it would make scheduling your hunting time easier? just a thot

I agree totally. Leaving it open like the LEH elk would benefit most hunters and would not create too much over crowding. The elk hunters do not all go out the same week. By spreading it out you would get some hunters who want warmer weather and the use of quads. Others like the snow and the ability to use sleds to go where quads are not allowed. Also some like the snow as they know where they like to winter. I think it would work fine. There are not nearly as many tags as in years past.

The whole idea is to control the number of the animals as they are hard on feed and impact the other animals. Rich you would know this better than most as you work closely with the biologists and outfitters. The sheep have been decimated in that area and I have heard the elk numbers are dropping as well. This is of course due to a number of issues and not solely the bison but I think controlling their numbers would help.

Also people put in for the weeks they want in May. Come Dec they may have had a change plans that were out of their control. Thus many hunters do not get out and the tag is wasted. If you could go over a month or 2 then you could still get out of plans changed or extreme weather hit etc. A one year trial would not hurt to see how the turn out compares and how the success compares to the numbers the biologists are looking for.

Just a thought.

bridger
12-31-2008, 05:10 PM
you are right about the bison numbers keeping the elk and sheep numbers down in both the halfway and sikanni. just too much competition for the available winter ranges. This has been going on for quite a few years and in my opinion we need to increase the bison harvest in both drainages. interesting to note that the moe wants to keep nevis creek valley bison free so they don't create the same problems there that they have in the sikanni and halfway so they are in a way acknowledging the problem cheers

I agree totally. Leaving it open like the LEH elk would benefit most hunters and would not create too much over crowding. The elk hunters do not all go out the same week. By spreading it out you would get some hunters who want warmer weather and the use of quads. Others like the snow and the ability to use sleds to go where quads are not allowed. Also some like the snow as they know where they like to winter. I think it would work fine. There are not nearly as many tags as in years past.

The whole idea is to control the number of the animals as they are hard on feed and impact the other animals. Rich you would know this better than most as you work closely with the biologists and outfitters. The sheep have been decimated in that area and I have heard the elk numbers are dropping as well. This is of course due to a number of issues and not solely the bison but I think controlling their numbers would help.

Also people put in for the weeks they want in May. Come Dec they may have had a change plans that were out of their control. Thus many hunters do not get out and the tag is wasted. If you could go over a month or 2 then you could still get out of plans changed or extreme weather hit etc. A one year trial would not hurt to see how the turn out compares and how the success compares to the numbers the biologists are looking for.

Just a thought.

kgriz
01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
As usual I agree with some things and disagree with most....firstly saying that the late seasons are for the buffalo "to come down" hah, the big bulls seem to be near the tops of the mountains most of the times unless there is a very unusual amount of snow or you get lucky. As for the temperature, be prepared.....it was cold when I went but frostbite is not a problem if you don't have exposed skin.....a good skidoo helmet and a good goose down expedition parka pretty much make you impervious to the weather.....last year I took my 5 year old son icefishing at 30 below and he spent most of the day crawling in the snow and making snow angels! ( pic as shown -31C) I wouldn't recommend the cold for everybody but it certainly can be dealt with.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z268/mikekozak/bradyfishing1.jpg