PDA

View Full Version : dog importing

green machine
12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
hey just wandering if anybody here has ever imported a dog from the states if so how was the process and what do you have to do also cost is it worth it. i would like to get a catahoula leopard cur in the spring and they are hard to find on the island and there are not many breeders in canada that i can find. i have found one in duncan but his dogs are solids. does any one know of any breeders of these dogs. thanxs

K-1
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
You didn't say what you intend to do with this dog. If your thinking of using it for hunting I would be more concerned about it's blood lines then I would be about it's color. Isn't any animal alive that gives a 'S' what colour the dog is that's biting it in the ass.

ROEBUCK
12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
i have imported 2 dogs to canada from europe on seperate occasions all i had to do was rabies and other shots no ,pst or gst!

green machine
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
sorry k1 i left that part out i do intend to use the dog for bear hunting and that is why i am looking at dogs from the states as the local breeder of these dogs does not use them for hunting purposes.

K-1
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
If you have no experience hunting bears with dogs you should talk to or go with some hound's men in your area. Chasing a bear with 1 dog is 'Not Fun', and you stand a good chance of getting your dog killed. If you're only going to have 1 dog I would suggest you use it to locate ( strike from truck or quad. ) and to find a blood trail to a wounded or dead bear.

houndogger
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Puppys are easy. Need a vet to give them a good bill of health on paper. No rabies shot under 6 months. If you are thinking of shipping by air it is to cold right now. The airlines won't do it. Neither when it is to hot. Biggamehoundsmen.com has a cur section. You should be able to find some good cur dog breeders in there. Do some reading and ask some questions.

green machine
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
i mintend on using it for tracking purposes for now and would like to get another down the road for actual chassing and treeing.

ROEBUCK
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
ive lived in bc for 3 years, i brought the first dog with me, and got the second dog last year ,while in england on vacation they came on the same airplane as me in excess baggage ,which costs $100 per dog any time of year the customs never asked for any tax both times ,all they asked for was rabies and other shots, pretty dificult not to declare two springer spaniels especially when there both ancy after a longhaul flight,

ROEBUCK
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM
thanx kenkel1 .i guess i musta got lucky.

1/2 slam
12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Puppys are easy. Need a vet to give them a good bill of health on paper. No rabies shot under 6 months. If you are thinking of shipping by air it is to cold right now. The airlines won't do it. Neither when it is to hot. .

Just as houndogger says. Easy as pie. I brought my pup up from Utah a year ago this past February.