PDA

View Full Version : Carport cougar

bc7mm
12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Got a call at 8am yesterday from a friend from across the road. He told me at about 1:30 am he heard a noise outside so stepped out of his carport door to investigate. A cougar had a large german shepard pinned down about 15 feet from where he stood. He ducked into the house and grabbed his shotgun, pushed in a few slugs and went out to try to rescue the dog. He fired aiming high to avoid hitting the dog and missed. The cougar never let go of the dog and effortlessly jumped over an embankment where it continued it's assault on the poor hound. He moved up to the edge of the drop off aimed high once again and fired, missing again. The cougar wouldn't let go of the dog. At his 3rd shot the cat released it grip and moved off into the thicker cover. The dog lit out for home as if scalded, my friend not wanting to follow a wounded cat in the dark had no other option than to get some sleep and have a look when it was light.

I grabbed my 12 gauge and snowshoes and walked over to his house. We talked in front of the carport for a few minutes while we loaded our shotguns. I then put on my snowshoes and worked carefully over the embankment. He stayed up top as visibility in the small clearing below was short and poor. I found a blood trail and drag marks in the snow. Carefully I peered into the thick cover. Unable to see the cat or the end of the cats trail from the night before I told my friend he needed to get his snowshoes so he could cover me as we would need to circle this thick patch and was uncomfortable doing it without another set of eyes, and of course another 12 gauge.

His snowshoes hang at the far end of his carport. From where I stood 5 feet below it was impossible to see him. Focused on the thick cover I was startled when he yelled my name, I scanned the thick cover expecting the cat was on the move, seconds later a shot thundered from above me.

"He's down, he was in the carport"

I climbed the bank and met a white faced fellow stepping from the shadows of the tight space along side his car. Looking past him I saw the cat laying along side the front tire. With firewood piled beside where they park and the car inside this narrow space offered little room. He'd stepped into the darker space to retrieve his snowshoes and saw the cat at 8 feet, a full charge of buckshot to the head finished the big cat.

The cat was a female, nose to tip of the tail 83 1/2 inches. She was in very poor shape. The shot from the night before had grazed it's back . only cutting the hide and a bit of muscle, narrowly missing it's spine.

We live just outside the city limits of Prince George, I've had wolves, linx, elk, moose, and bears in my yard, we've never had a cougar, wonder whats next.

I've been involved in on over 20 black bear kills, never have I had one when shot or shot at circle back like this??? These cats are something all together different.

Rob
12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Holy crap, close call! Any pics? hows the sheppard?

chilcotin hillbilly
12-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a bit of excitement. strange that the cat came back.

12-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Good on you ! I'd have done the same, that may have been your's or a nieghbours child, who knows. Get the hide done and eat the roasts !
Be sure to report it too.!CT

mark
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Cool story! Nice to live in a hood where everyone has a gun! when we get bears in my hood, all the neighbors call me, and I have no back up!

The Hermit
12-29-2008, 10:08 AM
:shock: Wow that must have made him pucker!! He will be telling this story for the rest of his days as will his kids for al there days too! :cool:

Blainer
12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Unreal story.
Love to see some picts.

ape
12-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Which way out of PG are you? I am out in Beaverly and have had a cat around here for the last couple of years. I have been trying to get it but to no avail. Just wondering if you got it for me.

Untouchable
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
and the cat came back, the very next day....

TIKA 300
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
That would be a heart stopper for sure.:eek:

Glad it all worked out to the good(still say a good cats a..... well you know the rest)

doubled
12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Time for a new pair of underwear I would think.

d6dan
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
What a story to tell the grandkids! any pics? must have been an old cat. I've heard of young 2yr old cats hunting domestic pets. We get our share of cats coming into town during the winter months here on the Island.

hunter1947
12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Good thing you got that cat ,things could have gotten out of hand in the weeks to come ,have you got any pic of this cat that you could post up on the forum ???.

killman
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow! Was expecting this thread to be from somewhere on the Island. In PG, that's why it was starving, No deer here! Anyone know where abouts in PG?

Mik
12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
That is unreal. Good thing your neighbor had the shotgun with him in the garage.

The Dawg
12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
No kidding Killman- I thought it would have been the island too.
Where abouts in PG did this happen? I know that last winter the neighbours across the street had a cougar slinking behind their house checking out the dogs.
Maybe it was the one in our area?

moosinaround
12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
We had one two years ago right by Bonvoyage plaza. Pets are easy pickings for cats in need of a territory! Urban/rural interface, expect to see wildlife, both cute and dangerous!! There are no moose in the hart area though!!:wink: Moosin

MRP
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
bc7MM do you live up the far end of North Kelly RD a frend of mine had a cougar try to take his dog last week on Farms RD?

BiG Boar
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
What did the game warden have to say? Did they do an autopsy? Where are the pics?

husky30-06
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! if were me...... that cat would have had trouble getting any where........ slipping on my shite.... cause I would have for sure!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

bc7mm
12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I live about 3 kms from farms road, on the north end of the city. Possbily the same cat. Dog went to see the saw bones the next morning, will be OK. CO said everything was done as it should be. I can't post pics right now as I don't have permission to do so, my friend might not like being featured on the internet. I will have pics in a couple weeks, so will just post them on a new thread, save digging for them.

Happy new year, hunting seasons right around the corner ( or maybe it's as close as your carport)

BearSniper
12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Great story. You did the right thing.

Very intyeresting how the Cougar was in poor physical shape. I wonder if the deer numbers are down, and now the cats- and then Wolves- will start to decrease in number.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
read that in the paper this morning ... rare for a Cat in that neck of the woods .. usually out west on the other side of the river ... Not alot of deer north end of town ... mostly bears and moose

betha that 7 footer got run out of his old turf and triing to establish a new one

rifleman
12-30-2008, 10:17 AM
very exciting story. you should submit more of your stories. I hope the dog is OK.

SLIK
03-02-2009, 11:07 PM
My aunt just sent me this. Is it the same one?

Here’s a hunting story with a sort of good ending shared by one of my coworkers. I hope the dog isn’t traumatized for life.

Debra

Kudos to the owner for saving his dog. They are resilient but it is hard to believe this shepherd survived. . .Not for the squeamish.

This cougar was shot on Weberville road near Peace River
One of Guy's workmates at the mill came in the other day with quite a
cougar story-which made the front page of our newspaper.

A cougar was dragging his friend's German Shepherd through the yard
at 1A.M.-had to give it a blast to make it let go.
The cougar ran into the bush and the dog ran home.
At daylight the neighbour went out to track the cougar but it was
sitting behind his pickup in the driveway still waiting for breakfast.
One to the head tuned him up.
Dog will be o.k.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar10.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar11.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar2.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar3.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar4.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar5.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar7.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar8.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/SLIK80/cougar%20pg/cougar9.jpg

SLIK
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I missed the part about finishing it with the buckshot, probably not the same cat.

killman
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Dog is looking a little rough.

03-02-2009, 11:26 PM
HOLLLLYY CRAP ! POOR DOG !
Good on you again for hammering that thing, thats way to close for comfort with kids around etc. Your dog took one for the team and is a hero, way to go looking after your dog too, they really can be our best friends. Just think of one of those cats getting ahold of your self...... Nasty ! Good Dog POOCH!
Thanks for sharing the pic's

PGK
03-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Weberville Road in Peace River ALBERTA is nowhere near PG. It's actually about 7.5 hrs north.....lived there.

Too bad it happened, but thats the kind of winter we've been having. Hopefully it warms up soon and this won't happen to anyone else!

quackquackbang
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! if were me...... that cat would have had trouble getting any where........ slipping on my shite.... cause I would have for sure!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

X2 on the shitting!!!

Mr. Dean
03-03-2009, 02:09 AM
That dog's all messed up. :sad:

Good to know the cat is DONE as they can become quite the PITA.

kinderdoggin
03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Yikes, those dog-eating kitties really freak me out. High five to anyone out hunting them in PG/Quesnel area!

SLIK
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Weberville Road in Peace River ALBERTA is nowhere near PG. It's actually about 7.5 hrs north.....lived there.

Too bad it happened, but thats the kind of winter we've been having. Hopefully it warms up soon and this won't happen to anyone else!

Thanks for the geography lesson. Stories get altered along the line and I wondered if the location did too.

Will
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Yikes.........poor doggie:|

Good thing the Cat was destroyed......sad to see them degrade to where they must prey on domestic animals.