PDA

View Full Version : What are the best ATV tires ?

gameslayer
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
It's time for a set of tires for my 700 King Quad I have ran the stock fairly none agressive dunlop tires for 3800 km but they are looking and feeling pretty bald now.
Realizing it is all about what you want them for. I want a tire that has a strong sidewall (have seen 3 shred this season from striking rocks), does not drive like a pogo stick on gravel roads & can do well in mud, bogs and snow.
Thought I would ask some of the members what their experience have been like?
I am considering the ITP mud lights, a buddy of mine has them, he has about 4200 km on them and they still have plenty of tread left. The only down fall it seems is they seem a little lumpy on the roads (could be the quad) and they dig down fast in deep snow and are getting pricey.
A Big consideration will be price $$
anyone know a great place to buy good deals on tires?

3kills
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
the itp mudlights are an awesome tire

bigwhiteys
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I bought a set of ITP mud lites (radials) for the rear on my Polaris 800 and they are an awesome tire.

Carl

mark
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
PM "Neehama" from this site, hes the tire guy, might get ya a deal!

trailhunter
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
What ever you do......dont listen to ANYONE that tells you ITP XTR's are the way to go. Me and 5 of my riding buddies own these tires and none of us will buy them again. I have upwards of 20 plugs in my sidewalls alone not to mention the 15 or so in my treds. 3 of use have multi plug holes in the side walls from rubbing rocks. They complete junk. That being said ive heard really good things about the new zilla's (better vertion to the mud zilla's) Im personly going GBC motorsport tires. Im not sure wich one yet but they have a great line up of tires this year.

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/products/dirt_commander.aspx

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/products/dirt_tamer.aspx

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/products/spartacus.aspx

http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/products/dirt_devil_2.aspx

read some good reviews on all these...........my choise would be either the sparticus or zilla's

moosinaround
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I have Mud lite ITP's. They are AWESOME in the mud and the rocks, they suck in the snow! They do vibrate a little on the hard surfaces, but man they eat freakin mud up!!

bsa30-06
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
PM "Neehama" from this site, hes the tire guy, might get ya a deal!

yeah what he said.......i have dealt with him before for truck and car tires,he's the guy i would ask about tires.

Tikka7mm
12-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I bought a set of ITP mud lites (radials) for the rear on my Polaris 800 and they are an awesome tire.

Carl

X2... I ride with about 10 other guys and I'd say half of us use these tires. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with mine and all the other guys that I ride with seem to be very happy with them. They last a long time and they side walls can take a beating. They are expensive but then again, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for."

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
I bought Kenda Bear Claws when my stockers finally began looking sad, and have been quite happy. No flats, great traction in mud and snow, and not much vibration on hard pan. Price was right too - about $350 out the door.

gameslayer
12-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guy's,

I did not mention it but one of the sidwall blow outs was an ITP hitting a rock, (probably would have happened to any tire) probably saved my friend a lot of pain. He was day dreaming :confused: looking at the scenery and instead turning with the road he smoked a rock on the side and poped the tire, but bounced him back onto the road instead of down a bank into the tree's.
Trail Hunter
I was looking at the gbc grim reaper tires as well with the 8ply side wall but have not seen the price tag on them yet.
Fisher-Dude
TheKenda Bear Claws look comparable to the ITP and the grimreaper 6ply like the ITP.

KodiakHntr
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Maxxis MudBugs. All you need to know. A bit squirrely on hardpack, to be sure....BUT, in two wheel drive I was running in places that I needed 4wd with the stockers before that....Mud, Deep Snow, Rock, loose gravel, loon poo, you name it, they will grab it and throw it...
You will feel each tread bar hitting the ground though when you are going very slow on cement or pavement....

But its all a trade off really...Do you want a smooth high speed ride, or do you want to know that you can get through that mudhole or up that hill?

tikkat3
12-28-2008, 11:45 PM
I vote for bearclaws, I have them, and I'm really happy with em. Awesome hookup in all terrains and long lasting.

Viking
12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Mud Lite ITP at 3 to 3.5 psi no problems so far

killman
12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
My brother has these on his Ranger and my cousin on his quad, seem to be pretty good. A little rough on hard road.
http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/5628

Jagermeister
12-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I bought Kenda Bear Claws when my stockers finally began looking sad, and have been quite happy. No flats, great traction in mud and snow, and not much vibration on hard pan. Price was right too - about $350 out the door.Me too, about 5 years on them now. I'm not into power drifting on harder gravel surface, just normal riding and I am impressed with the wearability of them and like FD, their great in mud and snow. My kid put on Gators, super for mud and snow, but are teeth-rattling on harder surface, that diminishes when they wear down abit.

recoil
12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I have GBC gators and they rock, i am glad i didnt get the ITPs from what i am hearing. I had carlise badlands stock and they sucked, had to fill em up every time i used the quad. The gators are a lot heavier than anything else but your 700 should push them around no problem. There is a picture of my 27" gators on my 600 in the Jelvis quad pics thread.

srupp
12-29-2008, 04:06 AM
HMMM Tim put Bearclaws on his and loves em.....I have been looking at the Mud lites Springer has em on his machine heard nothing but good..

they do come in 2 size treads XTR.. 1 1/8 " or the 3/4" tread the smaller Mud Lites... seems to be the most recomended size for general ATV use..not too lumpy..

I got quoted the BEST price out of Kamloops..

25x8-12....$73.95

25x10-12...$87.95

These fit my 2008 Honda 500..

quoted by Andrea @ RTR parts and service..(quote in writing lol)

ph 250-374-3141

cheers

Steven

NEEHAMA
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
www.wheelsportcanada.com (http://www.wheelsportcanada.com)

swamplites, the new SS Reptiles, bearclaws, are poplular..

Schmaus
12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I run 26 inch mudzillas on my 700 grizzly, they are rough on hardpack but they will eat up mud lites in the mud all day. They are quite a bit heavier and more expensive than mud lites but I wanted a very aggressive mud tire. They seem to be wearing really good nothing too noticable and I have 2300 km's on them so far. I might try the new Zillas that are out now on the next go around. They are supposed to be a lot lighter and they look just about the same only less aggressive.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k187/schmauskris/DSCN0226.jpg

trailhunter
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Trail Hunter
I was looking at the gbc grim reaper tires as well with the 8ply side wall but have not seen the price tag on them yet.
Fisher-Dude
TheKenda Bear Claws look comparable to the ITP and the grimreaper 6ply like the ITP.

i like the looks of the grim reapers aswell but i was told they wont be in canada for some time.

Ive owned bear claws aswell and loved them. The only draw back was the fronts had half the tread depth as the rears.

ive owned 26ich mudzilla's ( heavy,hard,ruff.......but unreally in the mud)

BlacktailStalker
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
ITP mudlites on my Grizz 700 for me, never had a flat yet and i beat the SH^T out of my quad, hunting and just riding hard.
The xtrs are really nice too.

Rubicon500
12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Mudlites are complete junk, You couldnt pay me to run them things. Quite a few buddys have had them and they are all thrown in the garbage now. They were super quick, way to soft and the side walls dont hold up worth CHIT. Ive run GBC gators(wear fast, run small), Mudzillas(rough,wear like iron great in mud), Mudbugs(best all around tire out there), Stockers.... Friends have (had) Mud lites, 589's(awesome tire), Swamp foxes(complete crap), Bearclaws (Fairly good for a all round tire), Kenda Excacutioners(good tire, similar to 589) GBC Dirt Devils (wasnt to impressed) and a few other chinese brand crap. By far the BEST OVER all tire is the Mudbugs, can be rougher at low speeds for some ppl(smooth compared to mudzillas) but if your that picky sell the quad and take up knitting. GBC tires run very short, 25's are actually just shy of 24" with 4.5 pounds in them. They also wear quite fast to. So if you do order them get 1 sizer bigger than planned! If I was in your shoes id def go with the mudbugs. Im a tire junky :mrgreen:

bigwhiteys
12-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I've had my ITP's all over dry creek beds, in rivers, rock of all sorts, roots, logs, snags and still have yet to rip a sidewall. My stock Polaris issue tires on the other hand I've ripped several holes in them but tire plugs have always saved the day!

Carl

gameslayer
12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
www.wheelsportcanada.com (http://www.wheelsportcanada.com)

swamplites, the new SS Reptiles, bearclaws, are poplular..

Looks like you have quite the selection NEEHAMA

CanuckShooter
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I give another nod for Neehama...bought some 27" Mudbugs from him...best price I could find and delivered in short order. The Mudbugs are great !!

My hunting partners had Mudlites...two machines had delamination problems..the other fellow had them on his Artic Cat side by side and his developed small holes similar to nail holes near the lugs.....from what I could see they are junk. Their opinions of them are a little more graphic than mine after a few hunts were messed up because of cruddy tires.

huntcoop
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
My Kenda Bear Claws are excellent.

Trailmaster
01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Do not buy mudlites, there are crap every one I now that runs then has torn a side wall, I tore one the secound ride on them, the side wall is way to thin. Perelli makes the mudwiser, almost the same tread but a way stronger case. Bearclaws are a great all round tire, i have nothing bad to say about them, they do well in everything, I have heard a few say they wear fast, but never seen it. I ran gbc gators for a bit on my 700 grizz, but I found they kept pop the bead, but never had a flat. I am now running highlifter outlaws on my bike, and I love them, they work great, just don't get to close they shot out rocks big time, they grab and dig in any terrain, i got around 1500k on them so far and they are holding up real good, only had one flat and that was due to a nail. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/Trailmaster10/P1010005.jpg

Buckmeister
01-01-2009, 02:10 PM
I run ITP mudlite radial XTR's on my 500 Rubicon. Put over 1200 km's on this year with no issues. A few weeks back I tore the valve stem off the left front wheel, with no air in the tire it didn't even look flat, just slightly bulged. I drove the rest of the day with no air in that tire and it did awesome.
These tires have done everything I have asked of them, however I am not a hardcore rider like others are, but I do enjoy a challenge. Some folks here have said these tires are crap, but I get the impression that these folks are into extreme riding and need a tire that can take extreme abuse, and prehaps the mudltes are not the tire for that kind of riding.

It's time for a set of tires for my 700 King Quad I have ran the stock fairly none agressive dunlop tires for 3800 km but they are looking and feeling pretty bald now.
Realizing it is all about what you want them for.

I agree, I think it is all about what you want them for. Let me ask you a question. For the 3800 km you put on the stockers did you ever have to do a tire repair? If not, or if it was minor, then I would guess your riding style is a bit tamer, but I could be wrong. I think for casual to semi-aggresive riding, the mudlites make an excellent choice.

I have yet to do deep mud with my tires, but in mild mud they were fine. I have climbed and decended very steep, loose (pine needles), gravely hills with confidence. I have been in snow....slushy, hard pack, powder...and have been pleased with the performance. I was in very deep powder the other day and had to keep it revved out, but the tires kept paddling me forward. Downhill in that snow and I had snow coming over the front of the quad and I was accelerating. These tires don't do great in ice but what does? I was warned that these tires are grabby and it is true. If you have to watch it in the corners but once your used to it, it is fine. Drove past a tree once and over a tree root, tire grabbed and steered quad into tree and wanted to climb it.

gameslayer
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
[quote=Buckmeister;386107]
I agree, I think it is all about what you want them for. Let me ask you a question. For the 3800 km you put on the stockers did you ever have to do a tire repair? If not, or if it was minor, then I would guess your riding style is a bit tamer, but I could be wrong. I think for casual to semi-aggresive riding, the mudlites make an excellent choice.

I must admit I have never had a flat, but I am a fairly tame rider and mostly only use my quad to get around or game retreival instead of beating on my truck. I do get it stuck on occasion did it twice this year (gatta like having a winch). I did find the tires slipped a lot on big hills or towing moose even with only 200 km on them so wanted somthing a little more aggressive but does not wear fast. As well want somthing tough so when I do somthing stupid (just a matter of time) they hold up. Planning a trip next year that I will need to drive some seismic lines that are brutal from what I hear, so probably does not matter what tires I get I am getting stuck for that but that is only a small portion of my riding.

gameslayer
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Purchased a set of tires off "Neehama" from this site. He talked me into a 26" pair of swamp witches and I must say I have been very happy so far. Aggressive tread, ride well on hard pack, absolutly smoked a piece of rebar (covered in long grass) sticking out from a divider right on the side wall. I bent the rim but the tire held up no problem. So far so good :-D

4pointhunter
12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
i have heard nothing good about mudlites either lots of flats and soft sidewalls same with the zillas with the soft sidewall i wouldn't buy anything lite

i had a set of 27'' GBC dirtdevils on my last quad and bought the 27'' dirtdevil 2's for kingquad 700 they are awesome they are a little pricey but well worth the extra money

if you are going to buy 27'' tires i would reccomend getting a new clutch spring and a couple 1mm shims to lower the gear ratio the 700's are too high geared for bigger tires check out nyrocatv site for all the info on the mods

srupp
12-18-2010, 01:23 AM
hmmm Neeehama..sold me ITP BAJHA CROSS...8 ply..strong sidewalls..and RADIAL construction..agressive tread, long life and great sidewalls with rollover sidewall tread..

the highest rated 'longevity " tire that ITPS sells so ITP told me

so far I love em smooth agressive and extremelly well constructed..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

Pioneerman
12-18-2010, 01:44 AM
I had 27" on my first 660 grizzly and put 15,000 on it and never needed clutch kit and have them on my new Grizzly and do not need a kit. I find the best life from after market tires is the Bear Claws, reasonably aggressive, smooth riding and very good in mud and snow, and decent prices too.

4pointhunter
12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
kingquad 700 is higher geared than a grizzly and you would probably be fine without one, if you try a quad with a clutch kit you won't want to go back

BearStump
12-18-2010, 10:36 AM
ITP mud lites. I've had them for 4 years and only one flat. that was from hiting a razor sharp , 18 " chunk of shale at about 60 kph. the impressive part is that I rode 8 km back to the cabin with a 2"slice through the sidewall and my rim still never hit the ground or got damaged due to the rigidity of the sidewall.

Pioneerman
12-18-2010, 11:07 AM
I know people with the kingquad with 27" and they never needed the clutch kit either. Is it better? Sure it is, just about every after market part is genreally better then the stock item, I have also oput tracks on many of these machines and they were all told they needed the kit also, and did not do it and been running fine for a very long time. But again yes it can't hurt and probably a good uopgrade no matter what.

4pointhunter
12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
its night and day better, all i did is a epi yellow spring $20 and 2 - 1mm shims $3
its like a different quad it has a lot more engine brake and bottom end power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJRikXAVJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBwwPfF-o3o&feature=related

gameslayer
12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Ya me and my buddy with tracks both put the shimms on our quads this fall. Wish I had them in for our moose trip as he did. They were Yamaha snowmobile parts. What do you mean 4Pointhunter by "epi yellow spring $20" assume that is a clutch spring ? Always looking for tips any Vids on that thanks.

4pointhunter
12-18-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.nyrocatv.com/forum.cgi

all the info you will ever need is here ^

i did the shims first alone i didn't like it, much better with the spring, yes it is the clutch spring you can get different colors for different performance

nerka992003
12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I have Mud lites on my 400 Yamaha Big Bear which are great ,But do like my Swamp lites on my 660 better.

Farmer001
12-19-2010, 09:51 AM
I run the Terra Cross and really happy with wear and traction. Mudlites wore to quickly.

rutskin
07-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Anyone ever run the maxxis bighorns or bighorn 2.0s? Whats your opinion

Shooter
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I Just went trough all of this and I settled on a set of Pitbull Growlers. Look them up and do some research. The Bighorns have a huge following and many people swear by them so they must be decent. However the Pitbulls are gaining popularity and many reviews by people that have sworn by Bighorns are seeing them switch to the Pitbulls as the go-to All Terrain quad tire. I will try to get some pics up of my new tires, I just got them on a couple days ago.

Tikka270
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
The pitbulls are a good looking tire, I'd give them a try.

Shooter
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Here they are on my quad

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/IMG-20120722-00507.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/IMG-20120722-00506.jpg

MulieStalker
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Maxxis Zilla's all the way!!!!! Way lighter than the xtr's. Awesome in snow and mud and they dont viberate on hard packed!!!

Singleshotneeded
07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I've heard Mudzillas, ITP XTR's, Pitbulls, and Bighorns...I run the XTRs myself and I've rolled through everything,
and never had a perforation issue. A lot of guys that have sidewall perforations are getting them because they
air down their tires in rough terrain, and get what are called sidewall "bites". I keep my tire pressure at factory
spec and I've never had an issue with my XTRs.

REMINGTON JIM
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm running the ITP 589 M/S 27" on my Poaris 800 - never had a flat and they wear very well ! :smile: RJ

Moose Guide
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Maxxis Mud Bugs! Rough and very tough, great in mud or snow!

TSW
07-27-2012, 09:04 AM
How do those Growlers handle on gravel roads? Do they vibrate or are they pretty decent? Any idea how the tread life is on them? I've been reading about the Maxxis Bighorns and would love to hear some feedback on those as well.

winchester284
07-27-2012, 09:24 AM

I have the bighorns on my quad and with over 2000 kms on them they are finally showing a little bit of wear. I think I'll easily get 5000 kms on them. They replaced the original equipment Dunlops that wore out at about 2500 kms. The bighorns are night and day over the Dunlops (no surprise). The quad rides better and steers better probably because of the 6 ply sidewalls and radial build. I also find I can run them with as little as 4 lbs pressure which cushions the ride and there is less chance of a punctured tire.

birosj
08-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I need new tires also. Looking at this blog it looks like the decision will come down to big horn, bear claw, swamp lite...????
I have a Can Am 2008 650 max xt with 7000 km on original itp carlisle. Worn out big time. I think some of the traction I get off the rear tires is from the plug ends that stick out of the tires. Lost count on how many. 15 plus on the rear right. Front left side wall has 4 in a cut just to fill the hole.
I think I'll use that Green Slime on the new tires. Save on plugs.
Oh yea, I got an antlerless Elk draw for 8-12.
Happy hunting and quadding.

bforce750
08-12-2013, 11:10 PM
The best tire for all around,year round use are the Bear Claws..they are aggressive enough tread but dont clatter and vibrate on hard surfaces...which most of your riding will probably done on and they take abuse....

Shooter
08-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I put a set of Pit Bull Growlers on my Can Am and I have been extremely happy with them.

Edit: Hahahaha I just realized this is an old thread and I have a pic of my quad and tires on here already.

Kudu
08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
I have the bighorns on my quad and with over 2000 kms on them they are finally showing a little bit of wear. I think I'll easily get 5000 kms on them. They replaced the original equipment Dunlops that wore out at about 2500 kms. The bighorns are night and day over the Dunlops (no surprise). The quad rides better and steers better probably because of the 6 ply sidewalls and radial build. I also find I can run them with as little as 4 lbs pressure which cushions the ride and there is less chance of a punctured tire.

What he said, bighorns are simply the best.....used mine on rocky trails, mud tracks and the sand dunes of Oregon - I don't do the mud holes so Big horns are all I need.

Darksith
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
What he said, bighorns are simply the best.....
I have the bighorns, and they are a great tire, but they don't handle in the mud as well as a more aggressive tire...I find they fill up and don't clear as nicely as some of the other mud tires, but most of my riding is trails not big soupy mud holes. I like my bighorns, but I will probably go with something else in 3 or 4000 more km's (already have 2500km on them now) when I have to replace them. Depends where you live. The bighorns didn't get me out of a lot of mud holes up north in the skeg muck, but around kamloops where most holes have a hard bottom base they preform well, and really do shine on trails and rock climbing

f350ps
08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm looking for a set of Bighorns for my Yamaha, where's the best place to get them? K

Darksith
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
honestly, the states is by far the best place to get em...I order mine to a US postal box from JC motors. They are about half price to what they are in canada...I just can't bring myself to paying more for an ATV tire than I do my truck! I have boughten one out of alberta to replace a damaged tire asap for about $200

Singleshotneeded
08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I've used Mudlite XTRs for years and been happy with them, but the sidewalls aren't the strongest if you're riding on sharp rocks a lot. I cut open a sidewall once on a sharp rock on the trail that hit at the right angle. The other tire I'd buy with confidence is the Bearclaw.

f350ps
08-14-2013, 09:27 PM
After some web surfin today I came across the Kenda BearClaw HRT's which are an 8 ply radial. They are cheaper locally than the 6 ply Bighorns from Rocky Mountain ATV. Anybody running them? Thanks K

srthomas75
08-14-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a knock off pattern of the bighorns. about half the cost when I priced them two years back. I got them shipped from rocky mountain atv which was great to deal with. also a good site to compare etc... of other products.

REMINGTON JIM
08-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I have ITP 589's on my Polaris 800 Quad and they have stood up well with NO flats and i have Kenda Bear Claws on my Honda and they also have stood up well with NO flats - Both are 6 plys ! RJ

swampthing
08-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I have been through about 6 sets of mudlights in both the radial and the bias ply models. One set had sidewall failures while the others never got a scratch on them. They are great in mud and snow but a bit to aggressive everywhere else. I recently went to bighorns on 2 ranger 800s. They track straight and smooth on roads and give plenty of traction in the mud and snow. They are my new go to tire.

Shooter
08-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Here's a little video of the Growlers vs some Bighorns. The Red UTV are the growlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnQDrUmIzo

Darksith
08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Here's a little video of the Growlers vs some Bighorns. The Red UTV are the growlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnQDrUmIzo

neither tire was really tested in the vid...they were getting high centered which isn't a tire test...and where was the mud...that is just a little baby soup hole...either way neither tire is suited for the really deep sweet stuff...but both are probably really good trail tires. All depends if the growlers can last as long as the bighorns...thats where the BH really stand out, I will probably get 6k+ km on mine of hard sharp rocky trail riding, but not sure if I would buy another set...ideally a guy needs 2 sets, 1 for playing in the mud, and 1 for everything else

donny.brooke
08-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Go onto atv tv website and look at the review on the blackdiamond xtr radials. I have them on my 750 kingquad and my buddy couldnt keep up to me in the technical stuff with his 750 kingquad with swamplites on it. He now has blackdiamonds on his and can keep up no problem. There truly amazing.

Singleshotneeded
08-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Maxxis Bighorns are a good all around atv tire, looks like the ATI Black Diamond XTRs are more aggressive and look quite good, and the ITP Mudlite XTRs are the most aggressive, but if you're riding around sharp rocks I'd be leery of the Mudlite sidewalls...they also dig into snow too much, but are great in mud and lots of different terrain! For 26" tires, Bighorns and Black Diamonds are $120 each at Amazon, and Mudlite XTRs are $140 a copy.

SPEYMAN
08-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Have 8500 km on my Mudlite XTRs,still in great shape with 70% to 80% tread left.

The best tires are the ones that do the job for you.

Singleshotneeded
08-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm running Mudlite XTRs and I'm happy with them in everything but deep snow, but I'm rarely in that anyway...:-) The only concern I have with them is something that's also been mentioned by other guys on here...the sidewalls could be tougher. I slowed down around Coalmont a few years ago and went around some rocks, but one sharp one glanced against my sidewall and ripped it open! You don't see jagged rocks like that super often, but I'd go with a different tire if my riding area had lots of that stuff! It was rock that had recently sheared off the cliff along the old KVR, and we went past it as we were heading back from a ride and going to camp.

Good Old Outdoors
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I have a set of Black Diamonds XTR radials in 27" on my polaris 500. Great tires in mud, packed trails, rooted and rutted up trails, swamps and rocky terrain! I recently moved to the north coast and needed a tougher set of tires on my quad so I talked to a few friends about new tires, so I went with the black diamonds and haven't been disappointed. My dad and his hunting buddy bought the same tires for their Grizzlys. I recently went riding with a few friends, these tires hooked up just as well as the mud bugs in mud and sand! I would recommend a set any day!

Singleshotneeded
07-23-2014, 12:31 AM
I have Mudlite XTRs on my King Quad and I love them on everything but snow. They grip mud well, they're fine on gravel roads with the radial construction, and they're great on sand and rocks...but they dig right in and get you stuck in snow. If you're going to be riding in snow much, get a set of Bear Claws...they're competent on everything, not as grippy as XTRs in mud but a lot better in snow!

Good2bCanadian
07-23-2014, 07:21 AM
I have the BearClaw HTRs on my 550x2.

snakeplain
07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
i have tried a few and found the bighorns to be an excellent tire, smooth riding and tough, i have also just put on bear claw htrs and have also found them to be an excellent all round tire, i order them from motosport, or jc, in the usa, free shipping, half price, have fun!

Singleshotneeded
07-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Yeah, thanks snakeplain, I was trying to think of the other good all around choice and it's the Bighorn! Very well thought of on quads.ca.

~T-BONE~
07-23-2014, 01:56 PM
GrimReapers 8ply radial.. Very smooth ride for an aggressive tire!

leadpillproductions
08-28-2014, 12:24 AM
What do you guys recommend for a all around tire mud as well as snow , I use my quad all year.

Darksith
08-31-2014, 12:17 PM
What do you guys recommend for a all around tire mud as well as snow , I use my quad all year.

define mud...mud with no hard bottom, muskeg type, or just your average interior BC mud? Bighorns haven't failed me yet, but I haven't had them in anything more than 6-8" of snow. They aren't super well suited for the really nasty bottomless mud as the tread won't clear the really sticky stuff to paddle through it, but I have only found that mud up north so far. Others have mentioned the bear claws are good int he snow, and I know they clear the mud well, but they will be just a bit rougher than the bighorns ride wise.

warren
08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
I run terra cross rt on my 700 grizz they work great ...

srupp
08-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Hmmmm ITP baja cross...8 ply awesome tire..

Cheers
Srupp

f350ps
09-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Check out the Blackwater Evolutions, 8 ply radial with excellent sidewalls! K

hunter1959
09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
check out atv tires canada and look at the traxion grippers i have a set of them with 3oooklms on them and they are unreal light and great traction in all condition and you wont be dissapointed no wear yet and i have had itp mud lites junk interco swamp lites very rough riding and lots of plugs kendla bear claws rough riding and these traxion gripper are smooth riding and unreal price total price includeing shipping from quebec to vancouver island 510.00 that for 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 4 tires check out there reviews also in picture they dont look like they are when you get them way bigger lugs

HappyJack
09-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Been awhile since this subject was tossed around? In need of some new atv tires...what's the latest and greatest? Kenda Bearclaw HTR or Mudlites or Mudbugs OR??

donny.brooke
09-29-2019, 02:35 PM
XTR Blackdiamond Radial is my pick.

New Bow Hunter
09-29-2019, 04:45 PM
I went with the Axion tires. I went with all the same size so I can rotate them. Also use Tireject in my tires. Got an extra 3000 km out of them by using it.

Seth
09-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 from atvtirescanada.com. Free shipping to your door within a week usually and they were the cheapest I could find. The radials do provide a noticeable ride difference imo.

Downwindtracker2
09-29-2019, 06:43 PM
You're asking the wrong people, we're only hunters. ask on a Quads BC BTW their advice, Maxis Big Horn 2.0

Husky7mm
09-29-2019, 07:32 PM
I have put 35000 k combined on a few atvs that had mud bugs. Great tire. Never give up can be run flat but flats are rare. Never give up in deep snow if there is something for them to grab. They are like a tractor tire. Staggered pattern always grabbing forward. No real trenching effect. Not to aggressive that you will brake cv axles easily. Pretty good in mud too. People west of the continental divide don’t really know MUD. The stuff here is bananas. Oh ya, for the record, not a weekend warriors. Party chief for an oil field survey company. Ride atvs 250 plus days a year. Got a new set of maxis mudzillas on my brand new grizzly. Great tire too, even better in mud but braking axles @ 300k only.

Pioneerman
09-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Bear claw HTR is a pretty decent tire. I do not like Mudlites at all, the rounded surfaces will drift more on gravel roads, they HTR has a flatter profile and holds road better. IF you want to look at other options I would suggest the Interco Swamplites, they are prob the best tire I ever had on any of my machines. I used to use the Bear claws when the tread depth was far more, they were a great all around tire. But they do not make the lugs as tall as before

beaverhunter69
10-12-2019, 09:08 AM
I have had good luck with mud bugs. Cheers.

elch jager
10-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 are the rage with the mud and dirt crowd. However if you spend more time on hard pack, the vibration from the heavy, spaced lugs will have you thinking you are riding the sybian... 5 minutes and you may "go off soft"... :lol:

I have the Bear Claw HTR's and have never had a traction issue... (or a tissue issue)

ACE
10-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Kenda Bear Claw EVO . . . good tire.

atvtirescanada.com

Cedar Tire in Nanaimo beat atvtirescanada on price.
If you're interested, there are good discussions and formulas concerning un-sprung weight (tire/wheel) and it's effect on acceleration. Google search.
This post brought to you in 'Honda red" . . . . :-P

twoSevenO
10-21-2019, 01:52 PM
what's the best INEXPENSIVE tire?

As a first-time ATV owner, i can't believe the prices of some of these. more expensive than a car tire!!! Yet, they are smaller, built to much lower tolerances, and wear out a lot faster.

I'll have to replace mine next year .... '07 Honda Rubicon 500.

Good2bCanadian
10-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Kenda Bearclaw HTR.
4000km on them and going strong. Zero flats, zero lost beads. I'm running 26/9/14 and 26/11/14. They added exactly 10lbs of tire per corner. A basic Quad Shop Customs clutch kit got my RPMs back exactly where they needed to be.
A super solid 8 ply tire.
I had a stick take out my tire valve and ripped completely from the front wheel. These tires solid and rigid enough I was able to drive out 15km on a complete flat without the tire getting damaged nor the tire coming off the wheel.
Buy once, cry once.

srupp
10-21-2019, 07:16 PM
check out atv tires canada and look at the traxion grippers i have a set of them with 3oooklms on them and they are unreal light and great traction in all condition and you wont be dissapointed no wear yet and i have had itp mud lites junk interco swamp lites very rough riding and lots of plugs kendla bear claws rough riding and these traxion gripper are smooth riding and unreal price total price includeing shipping from quebec to vancouver island 510.00 that for 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 4 tires check out there reviews also in picture they dont look like they are when you get them way bigger lugs

Hmmm same here. .Traxion Grippers STUDDED for winter plowing..will be 3rd winter of abuse. .look new.
Highly recomended..when IF my hunting tires ever wear out..ITP BAJA CROSS..over 10 years no flats.. I will replace them with Canadian made Traxion Grippers without studs...best quality ever..shipping from Quebec was included.
buy once cry once.
Do YOURSELF a favour check them out !
cheers
srupp

Hunter1893
10-21-2019, 07:53 PM
I’ve had the traxion nitro tires for 2 seasons now with some pretty hard riding and they hold up great. They do the job in mud and not a rough ride on gravel roads. I believe they come with3/4 tread depth

Sunzuki
10-21-2019, 07:58 PM
The Kawasaki shop in Salmon Arm is blowing out inventory.
Bear Claws...……$100 a tire.
Helmets...……….50% off.
Couple decent deals on used street bikes.

Too bad I didn't need tires as I know what I paid for a set of those Bear Claws.

Go give Terry or Dave a visit.
Great outfit to deal with.

tipper
10-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Hmmm same here. .Traxion Grippers STUDDED for winter plowing..will be 3rd winter of abuse. .look new.
Highly recomended..when IF my hunting tires ever wear out..ITP BAJA CROSS..over 10 years no flats.. I will replace them with Canadian made Traxion Grippers without studs...best quality ever..shipping from Quebec was included.
buy once cry once.
Do YOURSELF a favour check them out !
cheers
srupp

I run the traxion grippers too and they have held up great for the past 3 years on a heavy can am defender. No flats and hardly any wear.

srupp
10-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Hmm Tim put the Kendra on his honda trx300..not near the tire as either of my 2 sets..
my hunting tires are the ITP baja cross 8 ply radials. .have 10 years on them..bear and moose..still over 50 %..left..outlasted my 2008 Honda..now on my 2019
My second set of tires on rims are just for winter snow plowing..studded nearly 1 inch of tread..8 ply radial. .in 4x4..pushes a mountain of snow..these are the Traxion Gripper max.
will be the next set I buy for hunting..will go without the studding.
Check out the reviews, videos..the Kendra etc are not in the same league..IMO..
running 4.4 pounds pressure. .front and back. .cold temp.
Beast of a tire..superb smooth handling.double protected sidewalls..made in Canada..shipping included.
dont go into the woods on tires that wont get you out of the woods..20 minutes driving..more than most can walk out ?
Cheers
srupp

New Bow Hunter
10-22-2019, 07:10 AM
I went with the Traxion Alpha tires. Excellent in my view, DOT approved and 8 ply sidewall.
Went with same size front and back so they can be rotated.
Had them delivered to North Island Motorsports free of charge because we were camping in the area.