PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Turkeys?? Hunting Turkey Help Too!

Crazy.kayaker
12-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey I've been reading my synopsis between rabbit hunts and reloading and am wondering if the local turkey population is big enough in the Okanagan to make it worth a trip down for one come april 15 or should I go over to the kootenay's instead where I've been told in some area's you throw a rock in the brush you'll hit or flush out a Turkey. According to my Synopsis the closest to me are around Vernon anyone here ever see any I'm willing to go all the way down to the border too. Any help you can give me on where to find some in either the Okanagan or the Kootenay's would be apreciated as I'd really like to try a wild turkey. I'll be using a 30" Full choke single and pump on them 2 3/4" shells. If you know a load that works good or any thing I need to know please tell me. If you'd take me turkey hunting that would be even better golden even. But I'll settle for information on where they are and what I need to hunt them.

Thanks C.K

thepitchedlink
12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I too would like to whack an Okanagan turkey, but I don't know much about it yet. I live down here in Lumby. I'm gonna start poking around and see what I can learn, I'll let you know.

Crazy.kayaker
12-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I too would like to whack an Okanagan turkey, but I don't know much about it yet. I live down here in Lumby. I'm gonna start poking around and see what I can learn, I'll let you know.

I'm in Kamloops only 45-60 minutes away from Vernon, depending on road conditions. I'd appreciate anything you can pass on to me when you learn it.

mark
12-27-2008, 10:46 AM
You could come to the vernon/Kelowna area and hunt for a week and not see a turkey (as I havnt seen one here ever) or drive another 2 hours south and east and see lots! Tons of turkey info and threads if you search this forum

Crazy.kayaker
12-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a question about turkey limits. If I get a turkey in region 8 can I go and get another one in region 4. The information in both regions says: "The aggregate regional bag limit is 2 and only one turkey may be taken during each open season". From what I understand from it, I'm allowed to take one turkey from each region that has an open season on the turkey's per season as it's not a provincial limit just regional. So I could get two turkeys a season, I just need to make sure I have proof that I took a turkey from two different regions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

C.K

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
8-14 and 8-15 are the best spots in Region 8.

More turkeys farther east.

We used buckshot and 3" mags.

Works good.

Turkey hunting's easssssssssyyyyyyyy.:p

sfire436
12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I was planning on ging for turkey last season in the rock creek area but could not because of some issues with the girlfriend (I have now gotten rid of her!) I am planning on a hunt somewhere for them this season. Me and the old man went to the east koots a few sasons back to find a tom but we only heard one gobble in 5 days! It's not easy

300H&H
12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a question about turkey limits. If I get a turkey in region 8 can I go and get another one in region 4. The information in both regions says: "The aggregate regional bag limit is 2 and only one turkey may be taken during each open season". From what I understand from it, I'm allowed to take one turkey from each region that has an open season on the turkey's per season as it's not a provincial limit just regional. So I could get two turkeys a season, I just need to make sure I have proof that I took a turkey from two different regions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

C.K

Turkeys are open in Reg 4 & 8
Yes you are allowed 2 turkeys.
Yes they can be from the same reg.
ONLY 1 turkey from the spring season and 1 turkey from the fall season is allowed. In either Reg 4 or 8.
No you can not take a turkey in the spring in Reg 8 and then go to Reg 4 to take ANOTHER turkey in the spring. The same for fall hunts.

For all you turkey nuts like me...only 107 days until opening day.

ruger#1
12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I was planning on going for turkey last season in the rock creek area but could not because of some issues with the girlfriend (I have now gotten rid of her!) Thats one way of fixing the problem, There are turkeys in 8-01 also. dogs put 4 in the air in area 8-12. sfire i hope you get a better one. Girl Friend that is , good luck turkey hunting. Make sure you find an area with allot of turkey droppings and work around that area.

300H&H
12-28-2008, 11:05 AM

These words are going to come back and bite you in the ass.

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Come on man.

Turkey hunting last year:

Postpone grizz hunting
Buy turkey calls
Go turkey hunting
Call in two birds first setup
Shoot them
Come home
Watch instructional dvd on turkey hunting :redface:
Go grizz hunting
Fill grizz tag

Like I said, easyyyyyyyyy.:p

sensethesarcasm?

ruger#1
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
GG you better edit the shooting two birds part.unless there were two of you.

wsm
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
have never hunted turkey but, my moms husband has a place at christina lake and i have never been there without seeing a doz or so. now thats at the lake though. never hunted or scouted there would imagine there's more

mark
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
8-14 and 8-15 are the best spots in Region 8.

More turkeys farther east.

We used buckshot and 3" mags.

Works good.

Spoken from a guy whos done it once! And got lucky!

Let me edit your statement....Turkey hunting "CAN BE" easy!

Its exactly like elk hunting, if you get into an area with lots of turkeys and they are horny, its easy, if not its frustrating!

Dont assume it will be easy, thats most peoples biggest mistake! They drive around like they are hunting for grouse! I hunt turkeys exactly like I hunt for elk. Shooting 1 from a vehicle wouldnt be any fun either!

ruger#1
12-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Mark, are you saying he had a caged hunt, lmao

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
GG you better edit the shooting two birds part.unless there were two of you.

there were two of us.

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Spoken from a guy whos done it once! And got lucky!

Let me edit your statement....Turkey hunting "CAN BE" easy!

Its exactly like elk hunting, if you get into an area with lots of turkeys and they are horny, its easy, if not its frustrating!

Dont assume it will be easy, thats most peoples biggest mistake! They drive around like they are hunting for grouse! I hunt turkeys exactly like I hunt for elk. Shooting 1 from a vehicle wouldnt be any fun either!

you must have missed this part

"sensethesarcasm?"

Turkey hunting's as easy as baiting

on this site.

ruger#1
12-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Cool , I'm going to be in 8-01 for turkeys. they are spreading around fast, they are being seen west of oliver, not to long and they will be in Keromeos. then the farmers will really be bitching.

Will
12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
GG's used to getting his Ars chewed out as of late.......:lol:;)

Not sure why but Turkey hunting just doesn't appeal to me at all......maybe it's the Turkey sandwiches I now must endure until february that turns me off :?

Monashee
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Turkeys are not a native species in BC they out-compete native grouse for food . I wouldn't be surprised if native grouse get displaced and will never return as long as turkeys are here .

A year round open season would help to control their numbers and help native species to survive.

mark
12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Turkeys are not a native species in BC they out-compete native grouse for food . I wouldn't be surprised if native grouse get displaced and will never return as long as turkeys are here .

A year round open season would help to control their numbers and help native species to survive.

The place to examine would be creston, turkeys have been there for a long time, are there still grouse there?????

As for open season, I think thats a ways off! Most guys are still struggling to get their first bird. Were a long ways off from an out of control species, but when that days arrives, I will be here to save the day! :razz:

slyfox
12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Turkey hunting is not easy have taken 2 birds in 4 trys and its the same as any hunting the more you go the easyer it gets 8 14 has good bird numbers.

knockturnal
12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
The birds have moved up from Rock Creek over the past few years. 5 or so years ago, i was doen there picking up a Pig with a buddy of mine and i counted over 20 in one group. they have slowly made their way up the valley towards big white and ive seen the odd one out in beaverdale while hunting. this spring should be interesting thats for sure!

306 dave
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Myself and four friends are taking our 11,12 year old boys out for a turkey hunt this spring. It should be a great time for all of us and a great intro to hunting for the boys,but where the heck do ya take a party that big? Does anyone have any ideas on any areas that would work for something like that?
Thanks
Dave

Mckinney Creek Adventures
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Oh, we have lots of them here! Currently have two resident toms on our property. I see herds of them with ten or more in some groups in the valley and around farms. We hear them gobbling in the canyon all spring and had 6 - 10 hanging around last spring when the snow was leaving.... Of course the pulled out when the season started and made me go looking for them after spreading feed all winter.

Definetly more in 8-12/14 than in 8-01. They were transplanted into the Christian Valley area first and are spreading like wild fire!

Good luck.

MCA

MCA

winbuckhunter
03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
i would hit it up around new denver around slocan lake.. went elk huntin up there.. tons of turkeys.. hit two on the highway with the truck even

Doe See Doe
03-11-2009, 06:07 AM
How many pounds of meat do you usually get off one of these turkeys?

How do they taste compared to a grocery store turkey?

bcfarmer
03-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Cool , I'm going to be in 8-01 for turkeys. they are spreading around fast, they are being seen west of oliver, not to long and they will be in Keromeos. then the farmers will really be bitching.

cause only farmers in Keremeos bitch!!!

yes there have been turkeys spotted south of town, however majority are on the reserve.

bcf

SHAKER
03-11-2009, 09:55 AM

They do it well too! LOL :lol:
Oh well time to get to work.

tracker
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM

yes there have been turkeys spotted south of town, however majority are on the reserve.

bcf

yep your right bcfarmer I seen it with my own 2 eyes!!!!!:eek::eek:

or heard it with my 2 ears :cool:

Wildfoot
03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
lots of turkeys up anarchist mountain in 8-01. Rock creek - midway area is great for those birds. They are hard to find though. easiest way is to go into the area you want to hunt the night before and locate their roost. then get back in the morning before they fly off for the day.

SHAKER
03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
yep your right bcfarmer I seen it with my own 2 eyes!!!!!:eek::eek:

or heard it with my 2 ears :cool:

Are you sure the gobling you heard wasn't bcFarmers niegbour. I often see him around in full strut!:twisted:

And yes them birds are down that way but almost impossible to hunt since they mostly live on the rez. Seen tonns of them up the kettle this year. Flocks up to 50 birds at one time. Heard they was a bunch kickn' around down by Oliver too but I cant really confirm that.