PDA

View Full Version : Boxing day

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Set up for a good hunt this morning. Wasn't dissapointed, but we did have problems with our hide being alot darker then the snow around us. Still landed 4-5 flocks of geese, and the wigeon are just thick here right now. I've never seen these numbers here before, the snows done wierd things to them, they fly real low like 4-5 feet just following the lay of the land and come right into the decoys.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2026th.jpg

If anyone wants to see the difference in a Western Honker 10 pounds and a true cackler (BC minima) 2 1/4 pounds this is a prime example. Way darker in the chest colour, almost a deep chocolate brown/purple colour to them on real mature birds. This ones heading for the wall, in great condition.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2026th2.jpg

For me I couldnt think of a better hunt then a wigeon/goose one. I love them drake wigeons

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2026th3.jpg

PGK
12-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Nice bunch of birds!

Jimbo
12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Congrats on a good shoot !! I used to get shoots like this in late 70's and early 80's. About 3 dys of real cold followed by a dump of snow would make those widgeon almost suicidal.

The good old days are NOW !!!

branthunter
12-26-2008, 03:01 PM
What a great way to spend Boxing Day---nothing better than being afield in this weather--it's been snowing most of the day here.

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
a dump of snow would make those widgeon almost suicidal.

You got that right. There's so many and they just jump from one spot to another. Some great shooting to be had out there.

duckslayer
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Congrats on the great shoot!!! The 4th wigeon from the left looks like a storm wigeon!!!! Got an more pics of it??? Notice how its head is all white with no black spots under the eye patch.If it is that baby should be destine for the wall. Nice bunch of birds and would have been a fun hunt.
Slayer

ruger#1
12-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Good hunting guys. good eating to. i was going to mention that i took two three point black tails off of nicomen mountain in November, also seen an otter half way up the mountain in the first week of december, i would imagine the eagles are getting their share of ducks also.

nano
12-26-2008, 05:20 PM
does anyone now how the roads are around the fraser valley

Dirty
12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Highway 1 was good this morning, but was a wreck tonight. The side roads are as expected, and in worse condition than the main roads.

porcupine
12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Congrats on a good shoot today. I hit the local outdoor store today for their boxing day sale instead.
________
Chevrolet Sequel (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Sequel)

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats on the great shoot!!! The 4th wigeon from the left looks like a storm wigeon!!!! Got an more pics of it??? Notice how its head is all white with no black spots under the eye patch.If it is that baby should be destine for the wall. Nice bunch of birds and would have been a fun hunt.
Slayer

Yep, that one is a storm wigeon and its in the freezer right now. Havent decided its fate yet, better to just keep it in the freezer till I decide

duckslayer
12-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Yep, that one is a storm wigeon and its in the freezer right now. Havent decided its fate yet, better to just keep it in the freezer till I decide
Do you get many of them out there????
Slayer

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Wigeon in general no. I'm just excited to be able to actually pick and shoot out the drakes as they come in. There is areas nearby that hold more wigeon but just our general hunting grounds dont see to many. Like in the past 3 seasons I've shot maybe 3 wigeon all year, and this year in the past two hunts we've got 13 beauty drakes. Just a full colour mature bird was all I was looking for, never mind the storm or young euro I got. Now I gotta make my mind up which ones I'll get mounted. been thinking about keeping a couple just to start practicing on myself to see if i have a hand at doing taxidermy, I probably dont but we'll see.

Dirty
12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
What do you do with all the meat from the birds you shoot?

Crazy_Farmer
12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Alot of the goose meat we turn right into jerky within 2 or 3 days of shooting it. That stuff is gone quick, at either work or around the house a full large zip lock bag will be gone in a day or even a single break at work.

Then some of the bigger fatty mallards, roast alot of them or give them to our grandparents who love roasted duck from the old days.

Anything left other turned into sausage or pepperoni. Last bunch we got made into pepperoni, a little bit expensive but great tasting.

Marc
12-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Good shooting and yah you can really see the difference in the cackler compared to the other geese. We shot a variety of Canada geese last weekend as well but I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference. Some of them had very dark grey under plumage. We were targeting the giant resident geese but they was a variety of flocks coming in.

Nice bunch of widgeon as well. I picked up another half dozen of widgeon decoys and a half dozen pintail to add to the spread. Reloaded some shells and heading to the bay with Marshall in tow tomorrow.

I remember back east that the widgeon would land right in my goose decoys as well. I think they're attracted to the white.

duckslayer
12-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Go for the mature drake,young euro and storm dead mount!!! That would be a killer mount!!!!
Slayer

Crazy_Farmer
12-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Go for the mature drake,young euro and storm dead mount!!! That would be a killer mount!!!!
Slayer

Thanks and I've thought about it, actually by chance I just shot another storm wigeon this morning. Even better colouring in the head, all white the underside of the chin is almost green too.

duckslayer
12-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks and I've thought about it, actually by chance I just shot another storm wigeon this morning. Even better colouring in the head, all white the underside of the chin is almost green too.
And the dead mount gets bigger:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:!!!! You might as well through that wicked cackler in there as well. You have been into some awesome birds lately, congrats.
Slayer

Dano
12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Looks like you guys have had a great Christmas break. I've been off and usually get out but we're all frozen up and now my boat is snowbound and I'm not going to dig it out until next weekend (I hope!).
To top it off, had a problem with the Browning A5 last time out (dec, 13). Needed one bird to limit and when I went for the gun, I had to put it down and unload...Tom kept saying, "they're right there, get ready!" He never shot at the birds either (he needed one too). I got out my spare A303 Beretta and the next pair went down.
I know Ramline makes a cheap synthetic but has anyone here know anything about the Bell and Carlson stocks? I'm leaning that way in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass......
Dan
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/crack3.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/crack1.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/crack.jpg

Dirty
12-27-2008, 06:44 PM
What would cause that Dano?

Dano
12-27-2008, 07:03 PM
The action of the gun is recoil operated. The barrel moves backward when the gun cycles like an artillary gun barrel. I've also heard guys call it a pogo stick action as you can push the barrel down. The barrel ring that circles the magazine tube strikes the inside of the forend wood, there are brass friction rings to absorb the recoil and stop the barrel from really slamming back and forth.
What happens is the gun gets wet, then dries out. The cap is tightened and then the wood swells when it gets wet. Then the cap can be tightened again and then it gets wet and swells again... eventually the slamming of the barrel on the wood splits the wood. I've had it happen before but not this bad. I was told after the first break to back off the cap after each use to allow for the wood expansion/shrinkage but of course I forgot in the off season and you can see the results (it's been 2 years since the last break).
I shoot this gun great so I figure I'll spring for the composite/synthetic B&C stock. I would like some feedback if anyone has used one even if it's a rifle model stock.
Dan

Chinese redneck
12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I got a A5 and couple years back, my stock started to crack so i went to Reliable guns and got myself a syn stock... works great but lack of a classic look.

kyleklassen
12-28-2008, 10:10 AM
i have seen 2 auto 5's do the same thing in the last couple of years. one of them was mine.