PDA

View Full Version : Just getting into quads

bridger
12-24-2008, 06:29 PM
finally after a lot of years I am going to buy a new quad am considering a polaris and am wondering about the pros and cons of this make compared to others.

Lone Ranger
12-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Quads.ca <---check this site out, you'll love the ATV related resources there.

IMO, you're not going to go wrong with an major brand ATV anymore, the competition's tight enough they all pretty much do the same. There's pro's and con's to all, and jokes and negative things said about them, but even the Japanese brands are being made over here now so the quality's on par for the most part. Shop around and pit dealers against each other and go for the best deal you can. LR

12-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Merry Christmas everyone,
It's Christmas eve ! About to stuff our faces with dinner then ....

OUT WITH THE QUAD IN THE FRESH SNOW WITH THE KIDS AND HELMETS !

You don't need to spend a fortune !

Happier then Santa with his hot honey helpers with my EIGER by Suzuki!

There are some great buys out there, just get one that has every thing you want !

CT

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Bought my first quad in 87. Had four of them since then, two yamaha's and two honda's. Over the year's i have rode with just about every quad out there. They all have good points and bad points. Polaris is about the fastest i have rode with but with that they get the worst milage. Suzuki's well go through mud like nothing i ever seen but they are heavy . Artic cats just plan suck (always in the shop). Yamaha's are good but they have a lot of problem's with their drive train. I not saying honda is best but they get great fuel milage very dependable good wieght .The only complaint i have is you need a lot a room to turn them around . My hunting partner bought a polaris last year, i tried to talk him into a honda, but he thought the polaris looked better. we hunt together alot and by the end of the season he told me he wished he would of went with the honda. Quads are great and they make one for every differnt ride. it's all want you want to do with it, but a least test drive the honda . Just my opinion good luck and merry christmas

moosinaround
12-24-2008, 08:04 PM
If you like to wrench, buy a arctic cat or polaris. If you like a fairly maintenance free ride get a honda or yamaha. I have owned all of them, and the hondas are the best. As a matter of fact I am buying one this spring! TRX 420! will have two hondas and an arctic cat! Moosin

recoil
12-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I have had a polaris 600 for the past few years, don't get to ride much but i have never had a problem with it. I think a lot of guys who have problems are the same guys who frequently jump 800 pound machines and generally beat on them like they are a sport quad. As mentioned any name brand is good nowadays, go for the fuel injected, the carb models are all a pain to start in minus temperatures.

Bighorn hunter
12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda all the way. Maybe not the smoothest ride but they always get you home

bigwhiteys
12-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I am on my 2nd Polaris machine... Yes, you will replace parts if you ride it like a toy... Put around on logging roads and maintain it and you're laughing.

Polaris uses many parts that can be easily cross referenced to a NAPA part # which has saved me lots of money.

I change my fluids and do all maintenence religously and because of this the only items I've seen fail are my CV boots (I've replaced a few) and a fuel pump.... I've replaced the belt also but not due to failure... just preventative maintenence.

I've broken (due to hard riding/jumping/playing) the exhaust system, rubber bushings and a bearing...

The new bikes from Polaris come with up to a 3 year warranty now.

I just sold my 05 800 for $4000 with only 230 hours.

Carl

Will
12-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Been very happy with my 08' Kodiak !
No complaints it does what I need it to do. 8-)

trailhunter
12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
grizzly 700 ..............and never look back
Best front locker
good gas millage
best auto tranny
power streering (ride all day in the toughest trails without arm pump)
plushes seat on the market
low range/and park
push button 4wd (as far as i know poo poo's dont have that option)

awsome machine 5000kms plus with no shop time ........and i ride HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDDDD

Fisher-Dude
12-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Have put many hard miles on my '99 Sportsman 500 without any problems (except for self-inflicted rollover damage :oops: ). It gets exactly twice the mileage as my buddy's Grizzly, so take that to the bank. Before you buy a Japanese quad, make sure you check the diameters of the axles and A-arms and compare that to a Polaris, Cat, or CanAm...if you believe bigger is better on these critical components like I do, you'll buy domestic. :wink:

Brambles
12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
The new polaris quads have pretty much addressed all the issues I have with my current polaris

I have a 2004.5 500 HO

Newer models engine brake on all 4 wheels
Newer models have wider front end width for more stability in cornering

I have never had any problems with my Polaris
They are a touch heavy which helps alot when plowing snow but can also be a negative in certain situations.

killman
12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't listen to anyone. Polaris rule and Yamaha suck. They have made shitty sleds for years. What make you think they could build a quad?

bigwhiteys
12-24-2008, 10:16 PM
The new polaris quads have pretty much addressed all the issues I have with my current polaris

I was out playing on the old mans 08 Polaris 850 XP today, pulled a Yamaha 500 out of a 4' ditch (he missed the road in the deep snow) and was happy I came along and blazed a trail.

The new polaris XP is a wicked friggen bike! Awesome ride, awesome handling, and they sound wicked as well.

Jumping from my 07 800 to the 08 850XP is like night and day difference... I WANT ONE!

Carl

OOBuck
12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
finally after a lot of years I am going to buy a new quad am considering a polaris and am wondering about the pros and cons of this make compared to others.

Polairs all the way, just bought a plow for mine and paid for it within 3 days of moving snow. I bought the 700cc model this machine is a work horse and can't be stopped. No problems yet.

OOBuck
12-24-2008, 10:32 PM
grizzly 700 ..............and never look back
Best front locker
good gas millage
best auto tranny
power streering (ride all day in the toughest trails without arm pump)
plushes seat on the market
low range/and park
push button 4wd (as far as i know poo poo's dont have that option)

awsome machine 5000kms plus with no shop time ........and i ride HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDDDD

Best front locker? Polaris, flip the switch instant AWD not 3 wheel drive like Yamaha.
Mileage is mileage
Polaris designed the CVT transmission
Power steering on the Yamahas only works in 4x4 lock, if I'm not mistaken
Plush seat, I see you have never riden a Polaris
Park,Reverse,neutral,low,high all on the same shifter knob seems to work pretty good...

bigwhiteys
12-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Polairs all the way, just bought a plow for mine and paid for it within 3 days of moving snow.

This was my plan too... procrastination cost me a snow plow I guess... I could have been busy plowing all week! My neighbor with the bobcat has been working non-stop, He's had people call at 2am and get him out of bed he said!

Carl

killman
12-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Me and my neighbor both have Polaris's with snow plows. When it snows it a race to who can get out and plow all the neighbors first.

hunter1947
12-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Honda would be the quad I would get ,there almost bullet prof ,my son had a 2004 Polaris and he was always wrenching on it ,don't know if they have got better in the last few years ????.

The bottom ball joints fell apart ,as for other things ,the starter drive is another ,bad seen.

Schmaus
12-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Power steering on the Yamahas only works in 4x4 lock, if I'm not mistaken

You are mistaken :)

trailhunter
12-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Have put many hard miles on my '99 Sportsman 500 without any problems (except for self-inflicted rollover damage :oops: ). It gets exactly twice the mileage as my buddy's Grizzly, so take that to the bank. Before you buy a Japanese quad, make sure you check the diameters of the axles and A-arms and compare that to a Polaris, Cat, or CanAm...if you believe bigger is better on these critical components like I do, you'll buy domestic. :wink:

crazy.............. id love to get 240kms per tank. Any mods to make it do this or is it stock? Because my grizzly and get 120kms to a tank if im touring around.

OOBuck
12-25-2008, 08:07 AM
This was my plan too... procrastination cost me a snow plow I guess... I could have been busy plowing all week! My neighbor with the bobcat has been working non-stop, He's had people call at 2am and get him out of bed he said!

Carl

An old hunting buddy had a polaris that he sold but kept his plow I ended up with it for 3 hundred dollars.. Good money, paid for the plow first day.

OOBuck
12-25-2008, 08:09 AM
You are mistaken :)

Only girls need power steering!! :-D

trailhunter
12-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Best front locker? Polaris, flip the switch instant AWD not 3 wheel drive like Yamaha.
Mileage is mileage
Polaris designed the CVT transmission
Power steering on the Yamaha's only works in 4x4 lock, if I'm not mistaken
Plush seat, I see you have never riden a Polaris
Park,Reverse,neutral,low,high all on the same shifter knob seems to work pretty good...

thanks for spelling lesson

ive ridden a poo thats why i have a grizzly.

Full locker when needed is priceless and so is 2wd..............AWD all the time would suck balls
power steering works all the time and its awesome driving a trail with one hand and your buddies look like they have a hold of 2 fight pit bulls.

some quads dont have park just ask the kawi guys

M.Dean
12-25-2008, 09:00 AM
If you own a Quad, it's in your driveway, no matter what make or model, it's a dam fine machine! Most people that have problems with a certain make have run the shit out of it, hit rocks and leap over tall buildings and then blame the machine because it can't "Handle It". If you get liquored up, smash your bike into a pile of rocks, don't blame the bike, it's the A-hole riding it! I've had very few problems with my Yamaha's, any troubles are from running over shit that i could have got off the bike and moved or driven around, if you tear out a A frame, i doubt it was the bikes fault! Buy any Quad you want, look after it, keep it clean and change the lubes in it often and it's going to last you a life time, run the bag off it and you'll bitch that the bike can't handle it! Good Luck.

300H&H
12-25-2008, 10:20 AM
A buddy who knows folks in northern BC & Sask. say they ALL have problems with Polaris when it gets cold (-15c). This is just what Ive heard.

I have a Kawisaki KVF 700. It's a good quad. My only complaint is it is hard to shift into 4x4 when im on a incline or if im stopedin a ditch and need 4x4 to pull up & out. Now when it looks like im going to need 4x4 I switch in on BEFOR itss needed. I've learned the hard way so no problems now. I do like the straight axel vs. ind.suspension but try both & you decide.
One more point. My quad is big. No problem as Im big enough to handle it. Smaller people would want a lighter quad. A 300-400cc is really more than enough for MOST hunters.
Check ALL warrenties. Polaris has 6 MONTHS vs. Kawi/Suzi 36 MONTHS.
Bombadier looks like it might be good.
Look to buy out of the US. 30% Price difference. Exchange could be killer tho.

300H&H
12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
crazy.............. id love to get 240kms per tank. Any mods to make it do this or is it stock? Because my grizzly and get 120kms to a tank if im touring around.

Holly crap !!
I only get 60km to my tank touring.
Kawi KVF 700.

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Then you better buy a Polaris and dump that gas pig to a Chevron executive. I've gone 134 miles (216 km) while touring without switching to reserve. Completely stock machine. Grizzlies are known to be thirsty. Most big bores are - that's why I believe 500ccs are the biggest you need for hunting. The big bores are fun to go fast...but that's not why I have a quad.

My buddy with the Grizz likes riding with me - after he drains his 2 gallon gerry can, I give him the one gallon I pack for emergencies so he can make it back to the truck. :tongue: The unfortunate part is that we've had to cut a few hunts short because he's outta gas again. :cry:

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2008, 10:48 AM
thanks for spelling lesson

ive ridden a poo thats why i have a grizzly.

Full locker when needed is priceless and so is 2wd..............AWD all the time would suck balls
power steering works all the time and its awesome driving a trail with one hand and your buddies look like they have a hold of 2 fight pit bulls.

some quads dont have park just ask the kawi guys

Polaris AWD is switchable to 2WD. Polaris is full 4WD lock when you need it - automatically - just click into AWD, and all 4 will pull if and when they are needed. Yama-locks are full on or full off - nothing auto about it.

It's nice NOT to be looking for buttons to push for lockers when you're sliding backwards down a shit-covered slope. :shock::smile:

moosinaround
12-25-2008, 11:22 AM
120-140 kms out of a tank of fuel is sick mileage! My hondas do this, but the cat goes about 100kms on reserve! My cat is a 500, with 27" mudlites so that might have a little to do with the difference. 240kms on a tank from a stock 500 polaris is bullshit!! Ridden these bikes all my life and have never gotten 240kms on a tank!! Moosin

goatdancer
12-25-2008, 12:03 PM
If you own a Quad, it's in your driveway, no matter what make or model, it's a dam fine machine! Most people that have problems with a certain make have run the shit out of it, hit rocks and leap over tall buildings and then blame the machine because it can't "Handle It". If you get liquored up, smash your bike into a pile of rocks, don't blame the bike, it's the A-hole riding it! I've had very few problems with my Yamaha's, any troubles are from running over shit that i could have got off the bike and moved or driven around, if you tear out a A frame, i doubt it was the bikes fault! Buy any Quad you want, look after it, keep it clean and change the lubes in it often and it's going to last you a life time, run the bag off it and you'll bitch that the bike can't handle it! Good Luck.

My sentiments exactly. All this 'wrenching all the time' may be true for some people but if you don't drive like a complete maniac, you'll find wrenching unnecessary. My 'Cat gets oil change and a quick checkover every year, that's it.

12-25-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a Can Am Outlander 400....get about 175 km/tank on logging roads. It's a great machine and plows snow very well. I have a friend who has the old step-through Bombardier with 20,000 km on it......plus a year or two ago Bombardier made their seven millionth rotax engine....must e good!

Fisher-Dude
12-25-2008, 12:59 PM
120-140 kms out of a tank of fuel is sick mileage! My hondas do this, but the cat goes about 100kms on reserve! My cat is a 500, with 27" mudlites so that might have a little to do with the difference. 240kms on a tank from a stock 500 polaris is bullshit!! Ridden these bikes all my life and have never gotten 240kms on a tank!! Moosin

I'll bookmark this thread. Come on down this spring and we'll go on a 200+km ride - I'm looking forward to what you have to say then! :tongue:

f350ps
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
My 06' Kodiak 450 is phenominal on fuel. I go for a ride and get back with more fuel than I left with, no lie!! K

moosinaround
12-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll bookmark this thread. Come on down this spring and we'll go on a 200+km ride - I'm looking forward to what you have to say then! :tongue:
That would be sweet, but you would have to pack gas for me too!! Moosin

JRG94
12-25-2008, 02:46 PM

polaris' are very loud and heavy don't get one, get a suzuki king quad 750 or a can-am outlander 800

goatdancer
12-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Just remember. The bigger the beast, the more gerry cans of gas you have to pack. Or better still, get a tub trailer and pack a 45 gal drum...

dino
12-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Then you better buy a Polaris and dump that gas pig to a Chevron executive. I've gone 134 miles (216 km) while touring without switching to reserve. Completely stock machine. Grizzlies are known to be thirsty. Most big bores are - that's why I believe 500ccs are the biggest you need for hunting. The big bores are fun to go fast...but that's not why I have a quad.

My buddy with the Grizz likes riding with me - after he drains his 2 gallon gerry can, I give him the one gallon I pack for emergencies so he can make it back to the truck. :tongue: The unfortunate part is that we've had to cut a few hunts short because he's outta gas again. :cry:
Hey fisherdude I have a couple of 450 grizzlys and I feel that they do eat fuel, about 80k a tank and thats using my reserve. I love the machines but I do agree they do seem thirsty.

hunter1947
12-26-2008, 06:35 AM
I have a tool box gas combo that is secured to the back of my quad ,it holds 1.5 gallons two bolts to undo and its off the rack.
This will be a big help when headed back to camp and if my reserve runs out ,that extra 1,5 gallons will get me back the rest of the way to camp http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12095)

johnk
12-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I have a tool box gas combo that is secured to the back of my quad ,it holds 1.5 gallons two bolts to undo and its off the rack.
This will be a big help when headed back to camp and if my reserve runs out ,that extra 1,5 gallons will get me back the rest of the way to camp http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12095)

Cool idea '47 but how do you get into the toolbox to remove the wrench to undo the two bolts to remove the toolbox?!

hunter1947
12-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Cool idea '47 but how do you get into the toolbox to remove the wrench to undo the two bolts to remove the toolbox?!

This gas tank tool combo comes apart in two sections ,you just release the two clips on both ends and it will split into two sections ,tool box under the lower part and gas in the upper part.

The black ring is the dividing area http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

compton
12-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I have an 07 Polaris 500 xp and it rocks, it has tons of power, will go anywhere I want, always gets at least 220 km a tank and is comfortable with two people. The last moose I hauled out weighed over 600lbs in quarters and I carried all of it out in one load in the little cargo box with the head strapped to the front. I would recommend a Polaris two up.

bridger
12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks for all the good advice. I bought a polaris 500 bridger

I have an 07 Polaris 500 xp and it rocks, it has tons of power, will go anywhere I want, always gets at least 220 km a tank and is comfortable with two people. The last moose I hauled out weighed over 600lbs in quarters and I carried all of it out in one load in the little cargo box with the head strapped to the front. I would recommend a Polaris two up.

bigwhiteys
12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I bought a polaris 500 bridger

Maintain it and you will be happy... Was this the 500 or the 550XP?

Instead of buying Polaris specific fluids for your front diff, rear diff, tranny and motor (all expensive fluids) look up Amsoil or find a dealer that sells them. (only if you plan on changing these yourself)

Amsoil manufactures all of Polaris fluids to my understanding and can be bought for waay less.

Carl

killman
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Good choice, I like mine. And Polaris had some sweet deals on them as well.

browningboy
12-26-2008, 12:49 PM
If gas is an issue, then but a smaller bore machine, very simple just like cars, small car equals better mileage.
I own a big bore grizzly and its bar none the most versitile, strong and user friendly quad in my opinion, but as for gas, I don't pay attention as I don't care, I never bought it for puttering, its used to get into tough areas, pull, winch and get a bit abused, I have 27" mudzillas to cope with the gumbo and you need the extra CC's in certain situations, been there done that!

FD, get a real quad! LOL:mrgreen:;)

DeerWhisperer
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Can Am outlander Max 800.. By far the best quad I have ever ridden on and drove. I can not find a bad thing about it other than it takes premium gas. But it is heavier and bigger than most other quads. But also has the power to boot:mrgreen:

alpinetreker
12-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Just don't buy a quad with plastic or composite racks.They may crack and get more brittle in the cold.most brands are very good now. I would suggest a kawasaki brute force 650i.They are very reliable.

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks for all the good advice. I bought a polaris 500 bridger

You'll love it bridger. Good choice! Look after it and it will look after you...lube it with good moly grease, change the oil regularly, as well as the front end, transmission, and hub fluids (I think the new ones still use hub fluid?). I do mine once a year, it only takes about an hour, and have never had any problems with any of those components.

Just got back in the house after using mine to plow out the driveways of the old folks next door. Should be plates of cookies coming tomorrow. :wink:

daycort
12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a 2001 500 polaris and a 2005 700 polaris. I love them both.

Hey FD I sure never got that kind of milage out of my 500 polaris, I don't ride that hard either, I just drive around and look at the country side. The best I ever did was around the 120 km a tank with the 500. And I get araond the 100 km a tank with the 700.

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I have a 2001 500 polaris and a 2005 700 polaris. I love them both.

Hey FD I sure never got that kind of milage out of my 500 polaris, I don't ride that hard either, I just drive around and look at the country side. The best I ever did was around the 120 km a tank with the 500. And I get araond the 100 km a tank with the 700.

Is the 2001 an HO? Gotta wonder if the older non-HO like mine gets better mileage than the HOs? I filled mine up today and it took a gallon and a splash - last road ride before I put the plow on was 36 miles.

I have a buddy with the same machine as mine, and he gets great mpg too...and he's a 285 lb moose! :eek:

daycort
12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Is the 2001 an HO?

No just a regular 500, but it is yellow.

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 07:34 PM
No just a regular 500, but it is yellow.

Yellow? No wonder! :razz:

killman
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Is the 2001 an HO? Gotta wonder if the older non-HO like mine gets better mileage than the HOs? I filled mine up today and it took a gallon and a splash - last road ride before I put the plow on was 36 miles.

I have a buddy with the same machine as mine, and he gets great mpg too...and he's a 285 lb moose! :eek:

Do you have stock jetting? I have a 08 500 HO and I might get 130km

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Do you have stock jetting? I have a 08 500 HO and I might get 130km

I think so - I've never touched it. Maybe the dealership re-jetted it before I bought it so that it is set up well for where I ride the most...but I ride between 1,100 and 6,000 ft!

Anyone have an EFI? Seems that should give pretty good results for mpg.

bigwhiteys
12-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Anyone have an EFI? Seems that should give pretty good results for mpg.

My Polaris 800 EFI got 54 miles out of a full tank this year, riding at a moderate pace...

How do the Carbed models due in major elevation changes, or on extreme angles?

Carl

Skeena Hunter 1
12-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a 07 500 EFI, and I can get 200kms+ on a tank, just driving around on roads and such.

Ambush
12-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a '02 Yamaha Big Bear and a '07 450 Kodiak, both carburated. the Big Bear is a five speed utility machine, while the Kodiak is automatic. Both have been trouble free. Both have easily handled carrying two people while skidding moose. Big bore or medium, all quads are geared to the power they have.

The five speed gets about 30 percent better mileage but is a pain when riding roads with a lot of de-acts. With the autos you have to keep your revs up or else you're engine braking. With the five speed, if I have a long downhill stretch, I just throw it in top gear and let it idle. But the auto is definitely a more relaxed, carefree ride.

The only time I have had elevation problems was when using them on the QCI's at sea level. But then I just turned the idle up. If you lived at low elavation, you may want to re-jet.

Everybody usually thinks that whatever they got is best. That makes for happy owners!http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

sawmill
12-26-2008, 11:00 PM
What does the polaris 500 cost?

daycort
12-26-2008, 11:32 PM
pretty cheap right now if ya look around. I bet you could find some smokin deals on second hand quads. I would look in the GP and FSJ area.

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 11:50 PM
My Polaris 800 EFI got 54 miles out of a full tank this year, riding at a moderate pace...

How do the Carbed models due in major elevation changes, or on extreme angles?

Carl

Ugh! The 800s can sure spit the gravel better than the 400 and 500 class, but they are gas pigs! I get better mpg in the truck than that. I know guys with 700s who bitch about the fuel consumption too.

Brother's 350 Big Bear gets about the same mpg as mine, but his gas tank is a lot smaller.

I've not had any elevation problems like a lean bog that carbed sleds get (2 stroke vs 4 stroke perhaps?). My quad was still running after rolling 5 times and landing on its ass end up against a tree, so it would seem that an extreme angle doesn't affect the carb much! :redface:

I love the EFI in my sled (Arctic Cat) compared to the carbed ones I've owned, but the carbed quad seems fine. Only adjustment I ever make is to give the idle speed screw half a twist (no tools required) on -10C mornings until she warms up.

bridger
12-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Now that I own two polaris quads a 500 and 600 sportsman I thought I would post a picture of my original quads. They get about 20 miles per 1/2 bale of hay

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Buffalo_hunt_0181.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12109)

hunter1947
12-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Nice pic ,there gas mileage is one hard to beat and the horses will go into the back country further then any quad will ,as for there is no back roads excess restrictions http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

humble hunter
12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Stay AWAY FROM THE 04,05 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500, they may have fixed their problems after that but the dealer admitted that they "had issues" I'll friggin say this is the 3d time the transmission has gone down on it. I can now rebuild them with my eyes closed. The kicker was when I went on ebay for parts I found half a dozen transmissions that were blown and selling for parts. The last time I took it in to the dealer as I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, they replied with $2000 for a new transmission and they would not rebuild it as they did not want to warranty it. Not something I like doing. I have a 2000 honda 450 that has never had a problem and that is what I take when alone and I know I don't need a tow out. I rebuilt it and took it out for the first time 2 weeks ago and now the 4 wheel drive is not engaging. The problem is I cannot sell it in good conscience to anyone. I am going to burn it!

green machine
12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
polaris quads are the heaviest,followed by arctic cat. i own a 400 arctic cat abd if there one thing i can tell you buy atleast a 450, my two brother have quads aswell one is a 08 king quad 750 its only 597 lbs and the other an 08 grizzly both nice quads and about equal in performance. sister in law has a 450 king quad and it goes pretty good it the same chassis as the 750 and as far as fuel milage they both get about the same if your just trail riding and taken it easy. if you want a quad only for hunting and trail riding any of them are good, but if you want to go for rides with other people and havre some fun and your riding a small cc machine you will be left behind all the big ones especially on the hills.

pitbell
12-27-2008, 11:32 AM
IMO this is the best quad for hunting on the market.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/2007450KingQuad002.jpg

Suzuki 450 King Quad:
- Fuel injected 4-stroke
- Independent suspension
- very quiet
- Liquid cooled
- Diff lock
- large gas tank
- low center of gravity
It also has a fuel enricher that acts like a choke for really cold weather starts. (try starting a fuel injected atv in -40 weather. Not going to happen.) I'm not a fan of Polaris or Artic cat. If you ride them hard you will go through parts. The Yamaha's are my second choice but they are very unpredictable. They are too small and they like to flip over. The Honda's are great reliable machines and are shaft driven, but are old school technology. Having no diff lock and straight axels suck. I'm not a fan of their E-shift models. The Can-Am atv's are too expensive and they have a horrible 4x4 system (Visco lock). However, they do have an arse load of power and are fun to ride.

burger
12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
How many km are you all putting on your quads in a year with all this talk about ecomony and fuel consumption? I have a grizz 660 I get about 140km to a tank(20 l). Base that on a 2000 km average versus everybody else with their claims on 250 per tank(most likely around 220) then that is a difference of 85 bucks based on a fuel cost of .85 cents per litre. BIG DEAL. I take the extra HP with a loss of fuel economy any day.

Barracuda
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.blackfootonline.com/moto_product.php?user_category=atv

Will
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
How many km are you all putting on your quads in a year with all this talk about ecomony and fuel consumption? ........................BIG DEAL. I take the extra HP with a loss of fuel economy any day.
You wouldn't think like that if you rode like Fisher-Dude..his a$$ and that seat are inseperable for the entire season, or so I've heard:razz:

Tikka7mm
12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Yama-locks are full on or full off - nothing auto about it.

It's nice NOT to be looking for buttons to push for lockers when you're sliding backwards down a shit-covered slope. :shock::smile:

WRONG!...there is 4wd and then there is locking 4wd-

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
WRONG!...there is 4wd and then there is locking 4wd-

I think you mean THREE wheel drive, and then locking 4WD! :biggrin:

YamaDrive is 3WD 'til ya lock up - Polar-Drive is AWD 4WD, no lockup required. :-P

gameslayer
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
My 06' Kodiak 450 is phenominal on fuel. I go for a ride and get back with more fuel than I left with, no lie!! K

Stop pissing in your tank and use a tree like the rest of us. ;-) My buddy has the same quad as you, I drive a 700 suzuki king and we seem to get similar milage. We figure it is because even to go down hill you need to hit the throttle.

moosinaround
12-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Whatever the case may be, fuel mileage aside, any of the new quads out there will get it done for you! Just get the best deal, shop around! Buy it, and get out there and enjoy it! Moosin

Barracuda
12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
I think you mean THREE wheel drive, and then locking 4WD! :biggrin:

YamaDrive is 3WD 'til ya lock up - Polar-Drive is AWD 4WD, no lockup required. :-P

actually yamaha is 4wheel drive . the rear is a non differential spool type unit and the front has a differential and the ability to lock it . a differential will put equal power to non slipping wheels but depending on the bias it will transmit the power on a ratio to the the least resistance .
When you lock it it simply lock the left and right side together.

do not confuse AWD with fourwheel drive either the polaris system is not a locked four wheel drive system.

If you spent some time researching you will find out about diffs , locker's, ltd slips and the difference between all wheel drive and four wheel drive.

the truth will set you free :tongue:

trailhunter
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
i was too lazy to write all that.............thanks for doing it for me

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
actually yamaha is 4wheel drive . the rear is a non differential spool type unit and the front has a differential and the ability to lock it . a differential will put equal power to non slipping wheels but depending on the bias it will transmit the power on a ratio to the the least resistance .
When you lock it it simply lock the left and right side together.

do not confuse AWD with fourwheel drive either the polaris system is not a locked four wheel drive system.

If you spent some time researching you will find out about diffs , locker's, ltd slips and the difference between all wheel drive and four wheel drive.

the truth will set you free :tongue:

Good explanation, but it doesn't deny that Yama is 3 wheel when Polaris is 4 wheel drive. Polaris doesn't NEED a locker. Yama will spin one front wheel and not deliver power to the wheel that has the better traction (see bolded text above), but Polaris will. Polaris has wheel speed sensors to do this in AWD, and transfers power to the wheel with TRACTION, not the one with the LEAST RESISTANCE (ie the spinner). Prop 3 wheels (rears plus a front) of a Yama in the air in 4WD, and it will sit there and spin, while the one wheel on the ground on a Polaris will pull the quad away.

The truth HAS set me free, and that's why I ride a 4WD Polaris and not a 3WD Yamaspin. :-P

Brambles
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Here are some pics of my sportsman 500 HO, a few goodies on it, none that seemed to help mileage much. Haven't pushed the mileage issue with it because its not that important to me, what is important is the ability to perform at elevations from sealevel to 8000 ft without bogging, sputtering or surging. I also reworked the weights and springs to delay upshift for better lowend belt grip during snowplowing and low speed performance when loaded heavy. That little trick probably cost me some mileage for certain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0125.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0127.jpg

Brambles
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0716.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0715_edited.jpg

Brambles
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0143.jpg

Barracuda
12-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Good explanation, but it doesn't deny that Yama is 3 wheel when Polaris is 4 wheel drive. Polaris doesn't NEED a locker. Yama will spin one front wheel and not deliver power to the wheel that has the better traction (see bolded text above), but Polaris will. Polaris has wheel speed sensors to do this in AWD, and transfers power to the wheel with TRACTION, not the one with the LEAST RESISTANCE (ie the spinner). Prop 3 wheels (rears plus a front) of a Yama in the air in 4WD, and it will sit there and spin, while the one wheel on the ground on a Polaris will pull the quad away.

The truth HAS set me free, and that's why I ride a 4WD Polaris and not a 3WD Yamaspin. :-P

i think you are not getting this the yamaha system is a LS front diff with a locking device also (thats how it is listed) the polaris system is a Hilliard system which simply takes the manual locking of the diff and lock it for you. Locked is locked which means all four wheels spin at the same speed regardless of traction . the Polaris system needs the system to slip before it engages automatically whilst the Yamaha system is locked with no differential action when locked which can make for some binding .
both systems work as intended. There is tons more text on this but most folks just like glossy brochures:)

Do you have a two or a four wheel drive truck?

tikkat3
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Suzuki Kingquad

trailhunter
12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Do you have a two or a four wheel drive truck?

actually its a 3wd ...........get it straight :mrgreen:

Tikka7mm
12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
:-P

:roll::roll::roll: - Barracuda has tried to spell this out so that a 6 year old could understand it.:-P Yamaha is 4wd not 3wd!

Polaris doesn't have the option to manually engage or disengage the lockers, Yamaha does. Instead, Polaris has an AWD system (i.e. the wheels need to slip for the AWD to engage). Yamaha has 3 options. First, there is either 2wd or 4wd drive where, as you explain it, one wheel will spin when climbing or bogging, you call it Yamaspin...ookaay...lol.

Having said this, 4wd mode is much easier to steer as opposed to Yamahas 3rd option, which is locking 4wd, where all 4 tires turn at the same time! That’s right; all 4 tires turn at the same time! Again, locking 4wd is great but it is harder to steer when the rider engages it so Yamaha gives the rider the choice of when to use it! I myself like the ability to be able to turn it on before I get into the really hairy stuff.

Don't worry FD, no ones bashing your Polaris. We Yamaha riders just don't want wrong information coming from someone like you, who obviously has a biased opinion, to confuse anyone out there who is potentially looking at buying a new quad.

Yamaha and Polaris both make good machines! For the record, I've never ridden a Polaris but I have ridden my 07 Yamaha 450 Kodiak for the last 2 years and I have been very happy with it.

browningboy
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I love my Yammy grizz, how many other quads have diff lock options, I know of Kawi but haven't heard of others?
Anyhow they are all good machines, just take your pic which one you would like to drive the most.

green machine
12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
suzukiand arctic cat both have diff lock aswell

trailhunter
12-29-2008, 07:04 PM
a true diff lock has gotten me outa some spots where i was dead with out it

Franko Manini
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Polairs all the way, just bought a plow for mine and paid for it within 3 days of moving snow. I bought the 700cc model this machine is a work horse and can't be stopped. No problems yet.

An old hunting buddy had a polaris that he sold but kept his plow I ended up with it for 3 hundred dollars.. Good money, paid for the plow first day..

So which was it 3 days or one day OO?

I make that in a lazy afternoon with my feet on the desk!

Franko Manini
12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I used to thinki that the best reviews or feedback came from those who had purchased a product and put it thorugh the paces themselves. But when I was shopping for my truck, I asked a BUNCH of people how they liked their rides. Chevys, GMCs, Fords, Toyotas, Nissans... you name it. I never got bad feedback. Everyone always thought they had made the best buying decision.

My conclusion: Very few folks will man up and say "I spent thousands of dollars on this piece of crap!"

One other point of note here... I would wager that about 2% of the folks on this board will ever TRULY be able to ride beyond the ability of their machine. This goes for shooting better than their gun, and shagging better than their wives too.

hlram
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Ya thats what happen to me, I asked a bunch of guys at the gunclub about diesel trucks and most of them at the time "1996" said buy a ford don't touch a dodge they have week trannys. But I bought a dodge anyway and still have it "wouldn't trade for the new ones!"
Same with the quad studied it and came to a conclusion to get a grizzly 660 & lovin it.
Go to "quads.ca" and read what diehard riders ride.

leatherlungs
02-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I have had 3 polaris quads over the last 15 years. My first I sold to a friend and he still has it. My last one was an 05 sportsman 700 which I also sold to a friend and he is still very happy with it. One reason I like the polaris is because I am a larger person (6'3" 245lbs) and I feel very comfortable on them. They ride very smoothly and I have yet to get one stuck. The only two issues I have with the polaris is the rack system. I had to build a stronger metal frame under the back rack to make it strong enough. The front storage rack/storage compartment is not water tight and both front and back racks are hard to attach things to firmly unlike a metal rack machine. The other issue was the amount of fuel the larger machines consume. The fuel problem is easily resolved by getting a smaller machine like a 500 or smaller. I am in the process right now of buying another quad and am looking at the grizzly 660 or the sportsman 500 efi. I have heard there have been some minor issues with the efi on the 06 sportsmans but it was corrected on the 07 and newer. I have had no experience with any other machines so I will not slag them in any way. Base your decision on research and what you like in a machine. I have heard and read certain things about differant machines which is why I have decided on those two specific machines. If you would like that info just pm me and I will share. I hope that helped a bit. Take care.

Piperdown
02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey Leatherlungs, I am on my second polaris, an 08, 500 efi. Love it, has lots of balls no need to go bigger and I am finding that the front locker on this one does not leak even when pressure washing it. Can hardly wait till next season.

Cole
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Ihave a Polaris X2 500 efi, the 2 up version. I will never buy a Polaris quad again! ! ! Its an '06 and last year the front diff self-destructed and cost $1400 to get replaced and just 3 days ago , I was coming home from hunting coyotes and the belt shredded itself and destroyed the clutch hub. It will probably cost me another $1000 fix. Polaris are junk, don;t learn your lesson the hard way like I did, buy a Honda or Bombardier and don't look back! !

larry m
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
i have an 06 polaris 500. super reliable. it rides great. plenty of power. goes anywhere i want to go-trail riding, mud holes, crossing rivers & climbing. it also does great at plowing snow.