PDA

View Full Version : Moose times two

Offroad
10-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Got back a early from a three week hunt was only 7 days. Got my mulie with a bow ( my first archery deer ), a nice young 4x3. We also got two moose not bad for two guys. Missed getting my elk by one point, needed 6 he only had 5. I tell a better story when I get back from paradise lake, leaving tomorrow. Happy thanksgiving to all.

Thunderstix
10-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Looking forward to the pics and the whole story!

bushape
10-09-2005, 09:12 AM
GJ on the hunt.
Gotta hate those trips that are planned for so long and over so quick.
Same happened to us last week, 10 days over in 3, 3 bull moose though! :)

Offroad
10-25-2005, 02:27 AM
This trip was a big adventure from the start. We left on time and everything was great until just outside of Spences Bridge a nasty howl started coming from the rear end. We limped the truck into Cache Creek but as it was saturday no one could help us until tuesday. So I called home to tell everyone what was going and my dad grabbed his toolbox mom and jumped on the ferry. They picked up a new set of gears in Van drove up. By noon sunday we on the road again.
Then outside of Chetwyn near Moberly lake at 2 am 4 horses come up out the ditch. I managed to slow from 100 km to about 30 km before contact. I tagged 2 of them luckily the horses weren't hurt other than some nasty bruises. My truck didn't fare as well 2600$ in damage.
This didn't look good for the start of a 3 week trip. Made it the rest of the way with no more problems. The next day after camp was set we headed out so my buddy could show me the countryside and as there was only 2 days left in bow season (deer) I took my bow with us. We were about 14 km from camp on the bikes when we spotted a nice young mulie buck. I managed to close to 30 yards and got a beautiful slightly quartering away shot. The arrow went the lungs and out the other side. After waiting a couple hours, riding around the area, we went after him. He was laying 50 yards from where I shot him a nice 4x3 buck,my first deer with a bow.
The next day we hunted all day and decided to leave waterhole we were sitting at early to be able ride to the logging in the light. We hadn't gone more than a klick when we came around a corner and not even a hundred yards away there was a bull moose. Off bike, dig gun out, clip in, scope up three brow tines moose down. What a thrill my first moose. I shot it at around 6:45 7:00 we got back to camp at 11. I tell ya half a moose on a bike makes for a slow trip when your "full" tires are as close to riding on the rim as can be. 2 days 2 animals let me I was on cloud nine.
We spent the next day skinning and hanging the meat high. Then hunted the next seen a nice bull but couldn't get a shot. Saw a 5 point bull elk but it needed 1 more point. Then we went fishing the next day had lots of fun. We went back to area we got my moose in the next evening and saw a small 'not legal' bull in a valley on our way back to the waterhole. We weren't more than a couple hundred yards from the waterhole when a large bull stepped out in front of us. My buddy grabbed his rifle as I looked though my binos only 2 brow tines, start counting there was 10 points and boom we had another. We got his earlier than mine and made camp by 10.
Because hill out of where we got it we only took a hind quarter each that night. We woke in the morning to a missing quarter. A bear had dragged it about a hundred yards from camp, so we stole it back. We got the meat way up in the air and let it cool for a day then packed up and left. Besides it was hard to sleep with that damn grizz snuffing around in the bush by the tent. Thank god we had a safe and uneventful trip back home.
You know I wouldn't change a about this trip for anything,exceptfor a couple of the bills yes but the memories never. My bull had a 36" spread my buddies had a 48" with very high paddles. I will post pics when I figure out the sizing.