PDA

View Full Version : wolves in the okanagan

hafwit
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I was wondering if there are any wolves in the okanagan high country? specifically the summerland penticton area.Brother has more money than he knows what to do with and is considering moving his 80 head of cattle to this area. there are a few ranches for sale.but he asked me about wolves and bears and predation and I have no idea. I told him there are definitely black bear, one came into the off leash park in summerland last year. but Grizzlies and wolves , espescially in the higher elevations away from the big lakes? a little help?

Will
12-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I was wondering if there are any wolves in the okanagan high country?

Wolves & Grizzlies too;-)

mooseless
12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Griz shot a few years ago behind OK falls, and wolves up the Okanagan connector at Elkhart Lodge. If that helps?

Fisher-Dude
12-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Friend of a friend saw 14 wolves right in the Peachland/Summerland area a couple of years ago. There are lots of wolves throughout region 8. Hopefully we'll get a season on them here, soon!

BearSniper
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Theres a pictiure and post of a Wolf killed by a logging truck on the Bear main last winter.

Also what about the man who came home to his house at the bottom of the connector and found his wife shooing a Wolf away from the yard with a broom ?

He promptly got his rifle and shot it.

Lots of Wolves around, more than we think, but I'll be damned if I can find
one:frown:

David Heitsman
12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I saw a wolf briefly in the crater on Crater Mtn while sheep hunting this fall. I reported it to the Penticton authorities and they had had other reports from that area as well.

In case you or your brother doesn't know where Crater is, it's about 15 K southwest of Keremeos.

goatdancer
12-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Only seen tracks so far but they're around. Ran into griz, cougar, and wolf tracks this fall up behind Big White.

mark
12-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I saw more wolf, cougar and coyote tracks than I did deer behind peachland this year. :sad:

humble hunter
12-23-2008, 11:41 PM
have seen a single wolf up the weyerhauser rd behind ok falls and 2 together up the baldy rd. The other thing that is a problem in the twin lakes keremous area is wild dogs. Talking to the rancher up there this fall, they had lost 30 head so far and were not pleased about it. the other rancher was out looking for the rest of his but was thinking they faced the same demise. They just hamstring the cow and then chew the ears and hide a bit and then leave them. If you are hunting up there and you see a dog in the bush with no one around, dump it! I believe they were a rotweiller cross that were left to run wild by one of the mentally unstable brothers at the bottom of the grand oro road that comes out in Twin Lakes.

boxhitch
12-24-2008, 05:51 AM
There are lots of cattle being run throughout the province, and I don't think many owners put much thought into loss to predators.
If he is worried about that, maybe his cattle are something special ?
Its a jungle out there.

Walksalot
12-24-2008, 07:03 AM
The trappers though out region 8 were asked to monitor wolf sign and if sufficient sign was reported wolves would be added to the list.

hunter1947
12-24-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm sure there are all 4 predators in this area that would take down cattle ,but the big question is how many ???.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Dress them up like Wild (feral) horses since wolves don't eat them:wink:.

There was a pack of wolves putting the hurt on the deer herd last year between Summerland and Peachland....where one fella feed them on his ranch through the winter.
My Uncle saw one right near Antler's Beach last winter (he knows a wolf from a yote)...not too far as the crow flies from the ranch.

The Reg bio has enough evidence that he has requested a season for Reg 8......we'll just have to wait and see what Victoria does with this request.

SSS

mark
12-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Dress them up like Wild (feral) horses since wolves don't eat them:wink:.

There was a pack of wolves putting the hurt on the deer herd last year between Summerland and Peachland....where one fella feed them on his ranch through the winter.
My Uncle saw one right near Antler's Beach last winter (he knows a wolf from a yote)...not too far as the crow flies from the ranch.

The Reg bio has enough evidence that he has requested a season for Reg 8......we'll just have to wait and see what Victoria does with this request.

SSS

In the meantime....shoot on site!!!!

doubled
12-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Wolves around, how many to be concerned about remains to be seen. No grizz in those areas, always heard of them on the other side of OK lake. Seen one up Myra when I was picking mushrooms the year after the fire. Probably would not be concerned too much about that stuff.

mark
12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Wolves around, how many to be concerned about remains to be seen. No grizz in those areas, always heard of them on the other side of OK lake. Seen one up Myra when I was picking mushrooms the year after the fire. Probably would not be concerned too much about that stuff.

Actually pal, there is grizz on both sides of okanagan lake, not alot but some!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Seen grizz behind Peachland/Westbank twice....about 8 yrs apart. Friend has seen tracks right above Westank. Dad saw the biggest grizz of his life up near Whitehead Lk a good 30 yrs ago.
They're here and have been for quite some time.

SSS

Gunner
12-24-2008, 11:47 AM
There's plenty of wolves in Region 8,some of the ranchers are getting antsy about losses on their summer range,on both sides of Mabel Lake,and over into Sugar lake and the North Fork.Maybe the Government will get off their asses and give us a season,the Fox-pro is all set! Gunner

proguide66
12-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Wolves REALLY love to eat the calves AS they are coming out of there momma's in the early sping....and if that dont fill em up they eat momma from back there a bit as well...kinda guesome but true......here anyway.

Pete
12-24-2008, 05:23 PM
The BC Cattlemans assoc has a wolf control program in place. Once the kill has been VARIFIED as a genuine wolf kill the Ranchers can put in for compensation. As well once varified the BCCA will dispatch their wolf trappers to deal with the issue.

Ruger4
12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Wolves moving in and lots of grizz up hwy 33 , Big White , Mccoulagh lake area

ruger#1
12-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Buddy of mine watched two wolves kill a mulie doe 3 kms north of Princeton, He said it was the first time he has seen wolves in that area, Ive seen them in manning park , also Griz and wolves the north end of Harrison lake.

TIKA 300
12-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Buddy of mine watched two wolves kill a mulie doe mks north of Princeton, He said it was the first time he has seen wolves in that area, Ive seen them in manning park , also Griz and wolves the north end of Harrison lake.

Seen sow and cub griz tracks @ Nahatlatch,so up Harrison wouldnt suprise me,there still are some very remote areas.

hafwit
12-26-2008, 09:23 PM
to boxhitch: one calf can be worth $1000 dollars depending on the market, so "something special"??? Every rancher I know takes predation VERY seriously.

Fisher-Dude
12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
There have only been 3 claims by ranchers in region 8 for wolf predation compensation since 2004 (got the info as part of our push to get a season here). Either they don't bother with the red tape, or never find the kill sites to verify that wolves are the culprits.

ElkMasterC
12-26-2008, 09:53 PM
There have only been 3 claims by ranchers in region 8 for wolf predation compensation since 2004 (got the info as part of our push to get a season here). Either they don't bother with the red tape, or never find the kill sites to verify that wolves are the culprits.

The ranchers only get $150, and the Ministry is sticky about documentation. Have to have a CO check it out , Biologist, or whatever. Must be proven it's a wolf kill. Paperwork, yadda yadda.
I would suspect most farmers just say fudge it, and leave it be.

Wrayzer
12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Can't say I've seen and wolves or any sign but a good buddy of mine has seen two Grizz up 3 forks/greystoke area 2 seasons ago.
Didn't someone on this site get photos of a Grizz sow and 3 cubs up above Vernon near the King Edward FSR?

ElkMasterC
12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Pemberton Jan 08

My friend's hand measured 6" from tip to wrist.

(Leave it alone, Will,...just leave it alone... ;-) )

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/DSC00044.jpg

Haven't seen too many in the Okanagan. Time will tell though. Gonna go up to the Caribooooo this winter, and see if I can't get me one!

TIKA 300
12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Pemberton Jan 08

My friend's hand measured 6" from tip to wrist.

(Leave it alone, Will,...just leave it alone... ;-) )

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/DSC00044.jpg

Haven't seen too many in the Okanagan. Time will tell though. Gonna go up to the Caribooooo this winter, and see if I can't get me one!

In june of 07,we spotted a small grizz about 30-40 k west from Littlewet,we were headed back from Gold Bridge.

eastkoot
12-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Wife and I saw 2 wolves running on a frozen river just east of Sicamous on the right side of the highway, on our way to visit relatives in Kelowna for the holidays..Yes they were wolves, I have a rug and have seen lots in the EK's..

TIKA 300
12-27-2008, 02:37 PM
We drove in the back way from Princeton in oct,dont remember seeing wolf sign,but what i questioned a bit was cougars(seen a lot of scat closer to princeton)and how far they range towards the lake ???

brazen
11-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Is this likely wolf, or big coyote?

Fisher-Dude
11-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Is this likely wolf, or big coyote?

Probably wolf. Yotes have relatively dainty feet.

Heard tell of 4 big black "dogs" roaming up on Spion Kope the other day. Could be related to a recent post on here from a fellow not seeing much game up there, where the deer are usually plentiful. :neutral:

finngun
11-12-2011, 11:29 AM
one big bad wolf around lumby area last month...really big timber wolf....no wonder not too may deer that area.. no time for bullet--- oops no shooter anyways--whats wrong with regs??