PDA

View Full Version : Tips on putting color back on antler?

Buckmeister
12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
When I got my mulie this year, I used my quad to drag him down to where he could be loaded on the truck. There was about 6" of slushy snow on the ground. I made the mistake of dragging him by the rear legs and left his head and antlers trailing behind. In spots where there was no snow his antlers contacted the gravel. :sad: Needless to say, I wore some of the color off his rack in spots.

Does anyone have a good method of putting some color back on so that it doesn't look so bad? I tried at bit of dark wood stain but it hardly made a difference. Any help you could offer would be great.

kgriz
12-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Have used boughten stuff but it is always a funny color. Now I just mix blood, coffee and dirt together and rub it in; vary the coffee or blood amounts to change the tone to match...good luck

happygilmore
12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
there is an antler die you can get at taxidermist.
You could use any kind of stain just use it really thin and keep applying it until you get the desires color (don't go to dark or you will have to stain the whole set to make it match)

tomahawk
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Potassium permanganate is what I have used for many years and it is used by many taxidermists. I bought it at a pharmacy. There have been a couple threads about this in the last year, try a search on staining antlers?

Jelvis
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Shoe polish dark brown/red brown, rub it on thick in spot then furniture polish and wha lah miracles
WARNING -- could corode over time.
Jel---polishing looks good.

Shed Hunter
12-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I got some potassium for you come and get it try it on old antlers first

hunter1947
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Potassium permanganate is what I have used for many years and it is used by many taxidermists. I bought it at a pharmacy. There have been a couple threads about this in the last year, try a search on staining antlers?

Im with tom with his post ,that is the way to go ,here is a pic of mine now ,they had been white as a goat befor.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_14121.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12066&size=big&cat=500)

knighthunter
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Taster's Choice instant coffee, mix it up thick. test on old antlers first.

mmcleodk
12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
AAA taxidermy supply sells antler stain I believe, haven't used it myself but from what I've heard the Knobloch line of chemicals they're pretty good.

mntbowhunter
12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
A taxidermist told me to buy a tube of artists paint called "Burnt Umber". I tried it on lots of the sheds I own and they look like they just fell off the skull. Plus it only costs about $6

30-378-magnum
12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
just rub some olain old dirt on the antlers .works like a hot damm.deer dont have access to chemicals .

Buckmeister
12-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Taster's Choice instant coffee, mix it up thick. test on old antlers first.

:shock::shock::shock: AND PEOPLE DRINK THAT STUFF????!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I'm glad i'm not a coffee drinker!!!

Buckmeister
12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I got some potassium for you come and get it try it on old antlers first

Ok, lets give it a shot. I've got a set of sheds that are fairly bleached out.

mikek blacktail
12-24-2008, 10:45 AM
dark shoe polish if it's just small spots. potasium permigate for the whole antlers .