PDA

View Full Version : Goat hunt Terrace January or Ferbruary, info needed.

BiG Boar
12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a Skeena 6-15 A goat draw and tag. Because of work I havnt been able to get away, so I am thinking of trying jan or feb for my goat draw. Its basically exactly north of terrace.
Now, I have no experience with hunting goats and more so, I have no experience hunting goats in the winter. Is there anyone on this site who knows the area at all and can tell me what I am in for and what to expect?
I know, I should have gone and scouted and prepared even before the LEH was put in, but I figured it was best to just go for it and learn if I got the tag. The goat is a majestic creature and I really want to give this hunt a good chance.
Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas, Goatless Dave

sawmill
12-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Excpect a hell of a lot of snow,dangerous icy cliffs,lots of fog and more than likely a broken leg or two.I lived up there for most of my life,would not even consider goat in the dead of winter.But thats just my 2 cents.

Bighorn hunter
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Why would you even put in for an area you don't know?I'm just kidding, I just thought I would beet some other clown to the punch.Unfortunately I can't help, but I do share your feeling s about goats.I'm sure there will be a flood of help from the others on this site. Good luck, although i don't envy you trying to spot something white on a snow coverd slope.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Snowshoes, crampons, good rope.....and other good winter gear.

Haven't done it yet but hope to some day soon"ish".

SSS

deer nut
12-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Excpect a hell of a lot of snow,dangerous icy cliffs,lots of fog and more than likely a broken leg or two.I lived up there for most of my life,would not even consider goat in the dead of winter.But thats just my 2 cents.

The goats will be at lower elevations on their winter range, but safety is a huge issue as Sawmill said. I've studied goats for years (including in the Terrace area) and their habitats are extremely treacherous! Recovery could also be an issue so make sure you can retrieve what you shoot before you take one. Do you have any ice/ rock-climbing experience/ equipment? That said, there are isolated patches of goat habitat that may be more readily accessible via forestry roads but you'll need a quad or snowmachine to access most areas (check the regs re: if snowmobiles/ ATVs are allowed).

If you decide to go, make sure you take a billy! It can be hard to tell so study photos before hand - I know of experienced hunters who have either mistakenly taken a nanny or who get within range of a goat and decide to take it even though it is a female just because they had to work so hard to get there! Nannies represent the recruitment potential of a population and are the dominant animals in the social hierarchy (except during the rut) so they are important to the long-term survival of a herd because they educate the young animals about travel routes/ seasonal habitats etc.

Above all, be safe!! Let us know how it turns out.

porcupine
12-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Give the guide outfitter for the area a call and see if you can get a discounted rate for a guide for a couple of days or for your hunt. It may be more expensive than doing everything on your own, but from a safety aspect, it could save your life. Also, you would learn more from a G/O in a couple of days than you would in years on your own.
________
Yamaha Raptor 700R (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Raptor_700R)

BiG Boar
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
So far so good. A long wintery coat. Not a lot of climbing experience. Was hoping for a lower elevation hunt. Am fit and able.

srupp
12-23-2008, 10:49 AM
bigbore is an ANIMAL ....fit..and lots of enthusiasm..as well as drive..if someone can get er done it will be Dave...

Sorry Dave I dont know winter places for goat there..HOWEVER I believe the biggest goats in the world are there..I see lots during July salmon fishing when I glass the craggs up high but that isnt much help now..I DO have some "blue water rescue rope " if you need some good rope to borrow...
good luck be safe ane report with lots of pictures OF THE GOAT..lolo

cheers

Steven

gerrygoat
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think the local guides will be much help to you. If you are going to do it come in late February the days are longer and generally speaking the weather is nicer. Bring extra clothing every time you go out (a complete set is good including outer wear) and a rope is a good idea You HAVE to be willing to pass up shots on an animal that you can't recover. As for the elevation of the goats in winter sometimes they are really low but other times they go to above timberline depending on the snow conditions. I would't really recommend a winter hunt to a rookie goat hunter however.

BiG Boar
12-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Talking to a guide outfitter, he seems to think february is best because of the longer hours and the lower elevation of the goats. I think I will shoot for then. Spotting scope is in the mail. Keep any sugestions coming. I am eager and ready for adventure.

BCrams
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Pretty fun hunting goats in the winter and also can be quite dangerous.

A lot tougher than hunting sheep ;)

Even when the goats are lower elevation .... we're talking about 'cliffs and chutes' etc down low. Climbing ropes, crampons, snowshoes are a must to have in your arsenal for the lower elevation stuff too.

ThinAir
12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Like everyone has said.... conditions in the backcountry late season can be challenging at best.

In my experiance, when you have the clear days in Feb they often head back up high. Getting to them can be tough... little daylight to play with(not fun doing cliffs in the dark), and alot of the access a guy uses to get up high (creek beds, slides etc..) is prone to avalanches.

Having said that... it can be done. You just need the goats to co operate with you and find them in areas you can shoot and recover!

BCbillies
12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
The good thing about hunting in February is that typically the snow is crustly and can be travelled on easily. This was not the case last February when we hunted the area. It was the deepest I'd seen and soft and a workout.

I nor my partners have harvested a goat in January and February and we have put in some effort over the years. I should have/could have shot a cranker but I had to climb to the top of the mountain to get to him - one of the more difficult climbs (very steep, crampons, snowshoes, etc) and even tougher not to pull the trigger on him at 100 yards. I just don't see the number of goats down low as in the fall. Some of those billies up high will take 5 to 6 hours to get to . . . if you can get to them - most won't even consider this for an average goat. They can be low but I just haven't experienced it yet. The weather is usually pretty good in February and it's always good just to get out and work off the spare tire!

kgriz
12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Have been a couple of times.....have hunted then with and without climbing gear, depends where you are send me a PM with exact location of your draw and I might be able to help you out.

pitbell
12-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm cold, wet, scared for my life, and tired, just thinking of a Febuary Goat hunt.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/GoatHunt2008.jpg

kgriz
12-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Come on now Pitbell, thats your stomping grounds.....probably not much more than a km from the highway heading into town from towards PG if I hazarded a guess.:D8-)

msawyer
12-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Big Bore...

You've got nads, I'll give you that... And I'm assuming you must be single!! Or irresponsible!!

A winter goat hunt in some of the toughest terrain you can imagine, lots of snow, and the ever present risk of avalanches... My advice, assuming you do not have extensive mountaineering, backcountry ski touring and avalanche avoidance and rescue experience, would be to either not go at all, or alternatively, find a partner with all of the above skills to come along and watch over your ass...

Remember, Mother Nature bats last... And she can be very, very, unforgiving!!

If you do go, let us all know how it went... I love to live vicariously through those that let it all "hang out" there :smile:

Take care

Mike

sawmill
12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm cold, wet, scared for my life, and tired, just thinking of a Febuary Goat hunt.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/GoatHunt2008.jpg
That`s what I`m talking about.I hunted Roche De Boule mountain in Hazelton quite a few times (it was in my back yard)Wet ,cold and scared,and that was in October!A lot of the mountains there have whats`s known as "Rotten Rock"stuff that comes apart in your hand just when you need the grip.
Just my two cents but if it was me?.I`d go fishing.Been there /done that.

Mik
12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
It's all been said, be very careful, I have been on many goat hunts and it gets very slippery even without snow. That, been said, look for yellow patches of fur, not white and when you spot one, make sure you climb above it before the shot, unless you have some good terrain that can cover you from the goat. Good Luck and post pics.