PDA

View Full Version : Wild turkeys

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Seen about 50 wild turkeys last week along the highway. Now I have to spend some time to try figure out a place to hunt them. Time to hit the maps. Hopefully I'll figure out where to go by the time spring season comes along. Anybody else seeing any?

ps I already PMed Huntwriter

mark
12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Seen about 50 wild turkeys last week along the highway. Now I have to spend some time to try figure out a place to hunt them. Time to hit the maps. Hopefully I'll figure out where to go by the time spring season comes along. Anybody else seeing any?

ps I already PMed Huntwriter

Do you mean the main highway through Kelowna, or hwy 33, if so, black mtn....or rock cr.???
If you see turkeys now, they wont be too far away by opening day!

hannibal
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
please, do tell, where are these turkeys?

Chuck
12-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I've found that those things are a bit like fish.......they are where you find them. But why is that, you may ask? Food. food and more food. They may well be susceptible to baiting, especially during hard times. But of course this is neither ethical or the right thing to do and may well be downright illegal imo. I have been told and understand that some kind hearted, well meaning people, who choose to feed them through the winter are in fact doing them a dis-service because they will habituate the area and congregate into the spring open season. Some people have been warned to discontinue feeding them or face legal action. Besides, it makes it too easy for hunters come spring. But then without human help and a real bad winter, they'd mostly perish anyway imo. What's a person to do? Diyd & Diyd.

goatdancer
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
CSIS has instructed me to maintain absolute silence on the location. It's either that or I'd have to kill you to ensure national security...... Sorry guys, I can't be specific but it's within a 2 hour drive of Kelowna.

mark
12-23-2008, 05:10 PM
CSIS has instructed me to maintain absolute silence on the location. It's either that or I'd have to kill you to ensure national security...... Sorry guys, I can't be specific but it's within a 2 hour drive of Kelowna.

Oh jeez, better keep it top secret then!..... Theres thousands of turkeys within a 2 hour drive :-o

goatdancer
12-23-2008, 05:11 PM
PM me. We'll talk.

sparkymacker
12-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Probably a bunch of free range turkeys on a farmers field. I am pretty sure I am having one of them for Christmas dinner.

hannibal
12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
It's Christmas man, please share....I got skunked the last 2 years trying to find a turk, that wasn't standing on the side of the highway.

goatdancer
12-23-2008, 11:13 PM
That's the first time I saw them there. They'll probably be hiding in some farmer's field come the spring time. I was only wondering if anybody else was seeing them this time of year.

boxhitch
12-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Probably a bunch of free range turkeys on a farmers field. I am pretty sure I am having one of them for Christmas dinner.Or Feral turkeys, sometimes they escape private property.
Do Feral turkeys have the same regs as wild turkeys ?? They do taste the same.