PDA

View Full Version : Black Wolf

Bowhunter32
10-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Well Was out thismorning calling out some elk and i could hear this Wolf in the back ground howling away, anyhow , 1 hour goes by i sitting against a tree all nice and comffy and from the corner of my eye i noticed ther was a wolf standing no farther than 40 feet away from me, so i got up grabbed my gun omg look the things still standing there dumb struck i guess, and bang, gun goes off and Wolf goes down, the thing weight out to be clsoe to 175 lbs huge wolf i am happy i been striving to get one some day...

Seabass
10-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Where was this at??? Great story, love to do the same. 175lbs??? Thats a lot of Wolf. Got any pics of the beast??

Bowhunter32
10-08-2005, 12:44 PM
yea i got a picture of it but need to use the rest of the film first lol befor ei can get it developed, yea they weighted it to be unguytted 168 lbs and gutted it was around 147ish and yea i tried to carry it out whole and i couldnt it was way to heavey got it on my shoulders walked30 feet wiht my party and said screw this and skinned it out lol..

Seabass
10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Where was this though??? Province?? City??

Bowhunter32
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
aah i missed that out sorry, i got it in Mcbride BC, 2 hours south of prince george

Steeleco
10-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I just saw one in 8-06 last week, a grey wolf, he wasn't as slow as yours and made haste as soon as we saw him, it wasn't that big but I'd have taken him given the chance. Good for you, saved some deer and such and have a good rug for the wall.

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Thats awesome, doesnt happen often! Gotta be careful with those dirty buggers, you can get heart worms (and something else I forget) just from touching them. They eat, sleep and piss in the same spot when they kill something. I shot one behind maple lake here a few years ago. The wolves run the deer up against the highway fence and sometimes don't eat the whole deer, they do it so often they did a cull because of that. I could smell them before I saw them and they were laying down chewing on deer ribs and legs etc, popped one right in the neck @ 60 yards and the others scattered. Pretty sure it was the alpha female cuz they hung around for a good hour, racing up and down beside the trail we were on, maybe 20 yards back in the bush, calling, and making the craziest noises. I went back ( we were a good km from the truck and it was dark so we left it there ) several hours later at night with a couple buddies, they didnt believe me, and they were a few hundred yards off still howling. She probably was around 100 lbs and german shephard coloured with a bit more brown.

hitch
10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Good job Bowhunter! Interesting to hear some of the wolf stories. Out hunting a few years ago my buddy was on a cow calf during calf season and had a wolf pack come into the swamp they were in and took down the calf. We all went in there the next day and found the pack and took out the alpha male and alpha female(we think). The rest of the pack didn't go anywhere, they just sat in the timber and howled for hours. The alpha male was a big black guy as well. This was near the Bowron. I've heard that if you want to mess up a pack you have to take the alpha's or it won't really disrupt the pack.Conversely if the alpha's are taken, the pack doesn't know what to do with themselves. This is why we took out eh alpha wolves. Anyone else heard this?

youngfellla
10-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Nice job on the wolf, bowhunter. Some people go for years without even getting a shot at a wolf. We hunt Francois Lake for wolves in the wintertime. Put on a set of white coveralls and walk the shoreline, you can get pretty close sometimes. I've taken a few greys but never a black one. And never one that was 175 lbs!!! That's a big puppy.

Bow Walker
10-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Bowhunter32 - been lost or turned around a bit in the woods at all?:roll:

Last time I drove from PG to McBride I was heading east all the way. Two hours south would put you in or near Williams Lk. Just a stray thought from a vagrant mind.:shock:

Bowhunter32
10-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Bowhunter32 - been lost or turned around a bit in the woods at all?:roll:

Last time I drove from PG to McBride I was heading east all the way. Two hours south would put you in or near Williams Lk. Just a stray thought from a vagrant mind.:shock:

Maybe i said the direction wrong i was just refuring we are south of pg lol i guess we are east of PG then south grins oh well, i know wha toyu mean if you go off the other way towards 100 mile sure was maning the route to jasper / valmonst/ anyhow.... me bad

as far as being lost no never been lost yet i am actually very good in the bush actually

Thunderstix
10-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Can't wait for the pic buddy!

PGKris
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
You had better show me a pic of it hanging on a scale at 175 lbs cause I'm not going to buy it. My dad just shot one that went 102 lbs and the taxidermist said that in 30 years of doing wolves he's seen less that 5 go over 100 lbs. Dad's measured out to just over 17" and it's going to go top 15 in the BC Book. Prove me the size
KRIS

Bowhunter32
10-09-2005, 06:05 AM
You had better show me a pic of it hanging on a scale at 175 lbs cause I'm not going to buy it. My dad just shot one that went 102 lbs and the taxidermist said that in 30 years of doing wolves he's seen less that 5 go over 100 lbs. Dad's measured out to just over 17" and it's going to go top 15 in the BC Book. Prove me the size
KRIS

Maybe if you read the rest of my posts i corrected the weight on it it was average socken wet weight at the time we through it on a ground scale at the tax place here is all he had for a scale so i am guessing the weight can be a variation expecially being socken wet but thats what i got and ...plus up here in mcbride ther are a lot of recod boon and crocket been taken out of this area and one is a wolf.. these wolfs sure can get big out this way...
But anyhow i dont need to prove to you anything , i know what it read and had 3 othere people there to verify it shes all skinned out now and in the freezer only picture i will be able to produce is when i shot it...

Steeleco
10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
PGKris, PM sent. Steeleco

Ken
10-09-2005, 07:41 PM
In the last three seasons I have taken 4 wolves.

one came in to a moose call. I got another one when a pack came in on me and my hunting partner when I was using a cow elk call. and just got lucky and happened on one just like bowhunter32

and the 4th I got at the start of september, my brother and I were calling elk when a pack started howling across the river. I started howling back at them through my bugle tube and they came in, I only got got one of them though they scattered after the shot.

there seems to be more and more of the dirty rotters around here and they are killing alot of game

Sikanni Stalker
10-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Cool man, I saw one coming back from PG a bout a month back. he was standing on the tracks, right across from the crooked river (I think thats the name.) He was kind of skinny but tall.