PDA

View Full Version : Sweat lodge!

Frosty
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi
I'm just curious what some other hiking hunters are wearing. I've tried a few different combos of clothing, but haven't found anything that I really like. I wear a good jacket that's pretty waterproof that I've been happy with. But with a good waterproof jacket i find breathability goes out the window. I Do layers when it's not raining, but if it's raining and i've got my jacket on, the sweat just builds up in my jacket soaking me.

So i'm just curious on suggestions on what works for you guys for wicking sweat.

Thanks

Jetboater
12-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I went to Merino wool base layer for the last couple years and havent had an issue with wicking moisture and a good pair of goretex pants and jacket in the wet...as rain wear I bought the sitka downpour clothing and really like it but it does keep the moisture in...in cold weather I wear the merino and good fleece clothing ... seems to work for me...the sitka downpour packs so small that it is with me all the time...

spreerider
12-22-2008, 02:45 PM
haha i wear the thick rubber coated raingear that my dad gets from work, its very durable but makes me sweat like a pig.
keeps me dry for the most part, cept the pits and cracks :O

tomahawk
12-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Frosty, do you walk that fast and hard that your sweating that bad? You must be travelling rather than hunting when this happens? I have a light jacket on over good long johns when making ground to where I want to go and then I take clothes out of my back pack to layer for sitting\stillhunting. I can still sweat a little but not usually that bad that I get cold. If its raining out i take the travel coat off and put dry goretex clothes from the pack on for sitting\still hunting. I almost always wear wool pants and don't ever get cold in them, wet or dry.

Frosty
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Frosty, do you walk that fast and hard that your sweating that bad? You must be travelling rather than hunting when this happens?

Yeah when I'm hiking into an area, that I don't want to waste time hunting, I'm on the move so I can have more time in my areas. When it's not raining I don't really have a problem because I can gear down or gear up as necessary. But when it's pissing rain and I keep my jacket on, I have a problem.

BlacktailStalker
12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I wear merino wool as a base layer and usually just a stanfield on top if its cold. I have a sitka vest for even colder days on top of the stanny, keeps your arms free and keeps your core heat in (dont need that very often, any degree of hiking leads to overheating)
I use stanfield long johns under sitka 90% pants in the snow with gaitors.
I too use the sitka downpour gear in our wetcoast rain and agree its great and definitely packable/light.
My buddy in alberta loves the king of the mountain wool stuff as well as the swan-dri stuff from Aus... Havent tried that yet but I'm thinking one of those sweater/hoodys might be the way to go for winter hounding, however may be overkill for our climate.

I find that there is no real solution to sweating, you just have to add/remove layers as needed or if youre too lazy to do that, tough it out !
Its easier to stay dry by removing a layer BEFORE you sweat and add one BEFORE you get cold, depending on your activity level with what you're doing/going to be doing.