PDA

View Full Version : digital camera's

Islandeer
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I am looking at the Nikon's D40 to D80 what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Steeleco
12-22-2008, 12:29 PM
While I'm a Canon guy, Nikon has a great line of Cameras. My only fear would be with regard to warranty. The thread both hear and on CGN has me spooked. I have 2 pairs of Nikon binos!!

Either way read over www.dpreview.com before you buy anything of any make!!

Charlie
12-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a Nikon D70S with an 18-70mm lens. I am happy with it, although I am looking at another lens, a 70-300mm. I believe with these 2 I will have a complete camera outfit for under $2000.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d70s-review/

A review of the D70S if so inclined...

cheers.

Sitkaspruce
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Are you looking at a simple point and shoot or DSLR??

If it is for taking photo's while hunting, get a point and shoot. The DSLR are simple too big and none come waterproof. I tried to use the DSLR while hunting and the weight and babying it were a PITA!!!, plus the wife was none to happy with me taking it into the field:smile::-(.

We have the new Olympus Evolt E-520 w/ the dual lens kit for our DSLR
http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/238173/olympus-evolt-e520-dual-kit-1442mm-ed-40150mm-lenses.aspx
and I use an Olympus 720 waterproof point and shoot for the field.
http://www.photoxels.com/olympus-stylus-720-sw.html

I really like the Olympus cameras and have had no problems with them.

My suggestion is that what ever you get, make sure it can handle the elements.

Good luck in your choice...and post up some picts from the new camera.

Cheers

SS

newhunterette
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
we have a Nikon D50 with 18-55 lens and 70-300 lens absolutely love it and its easy to use and download from

it also sets up nice with the spotting scope we have to get even closer range photos

Big7
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Just bought my wife a Canon Rebel XSi 12.2MP DSLR with 18-55mm & 55-250mm IS lenses. She's used this model at work quite a bit and just LOVES it. It's going to be a Merry Christmas for her!!

I'm in the same boat as SS though, this camera will NEVER go on a hunting trip! I get the hand-me-down Kodak that we have currently (it will suddenly be ok to take it hunting!!)

wetcoastwillie
12-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you have an existing camera with lenses?

If so that would be my first deciding factor.

Canon has a considerably larger selection of lenses to choose from and a much better reputation for customer service.

Also the Canon comes with a better software selection.

If you're planing on shooting RAW then you will need to spend more money on editing software if you go with the Nikon, Canon includes DPP (digital photo professional) with their cameras.

Just a few things to think about.

Also like David said check out www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com)... a great source of info and camera reviews.

nomad
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Really need to say what you'll be doing with it. Is this going to be a field camera while hunting as others have said? Do you use a digi now? what is it? What do you use for editing (software)? What sort of photographer do you consider yourself or to what level would you like to be at? Maybe a little more info or background would help narrow the field of questions. RAW is definitely the way to go so try and keep that option as a minimum!

spreerider
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Cannon or Nikon make great cameras, i prefer Nikon as i find their lenses higher quality but i havent tried all of either brand.
get a higher end model from either and you will be happy with it.

Bow Walker
12-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I've got - and been using - a D40 for about 2 years now. Absolutey NO complaints.

lineofsight
12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
D80 ($450 used) over D40. The D40 does not have a motor drive to focus the lens so lenses without SWM become manual lenses only. The D40 also only has thumb wheel - no index finger wheel (D80 has both, one aperture, one shutter speed, you can set which one does what and also easier with some other features).

Personally would spend money on lenses before bodies. Lenses outlast bodies and the tech does not change as fast. Depending on the test the D90 (under $1000) produces better pictures than the D300 that came out last year ($1800)...

Nikon 18-200 ($650 used) a good lens and convenient in terms of form factor but cannot compare quality to 24-70 2.8 (unlikely to find used) and 70-200 2.8 ($1500 used). If not buying Nikon lenses no real reason to buy Nikon body.

If dont have existing lenses, have a look at Canon & Nikon lens line ups first, buy body based on better fit with lenses (Canon has 17-40, 70-200, 100-400, 400 whereas Nikon in the 80-400 has an old lens (no swm and first gen VR) and pricing on 300 or 200-400, well... you wouldn't be asking about the D80 but the D3x).

Am unconvinced about customer service, had good and bad experiences with both. May want to look where there is a service depot, Nikon has one in Richmond, Canon I think requires you to ship to TO. Try body and lens before parting with money, make sure no dead pixels on body and lens is sharp.

Nikon also comes with a software package and elements, photoshop, aperture... work equally well with both.

Canon essentially an electronics company that outsources glass/lenses, Nikon basically an optics company that outsources electronics/sensors (Sony).

I prefer the ergonomics, function and quality of the Nikons but do miss longer range of Canon lenses.

The comments on form factor should be considered though. The Canon digital Elph can fit in shirt pocket, the G10 & P600 are a lot of camera and lens for the money, a digital DSLR & lens(es) is 1/4 of backpack.

----

8GB SD Lexar 60x SD cards on sale for $20 at Futureshop

Johnny G1
12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I have had nothin but Nikon for yrs. and they are good camera's, My D70 had a problem with the top monitor, would not shut off, Nikon say's in their book if the problem arises just to do a complete reset as it is a known problem with that model going back to when they built them, No reset so off to Nikon for their evaluation, guess what back it came needed a new harness and switch to the tune off $300.00, so kind of pissed with Nikon. Could have bought a new D40 body for $450 and use my lenses, and still had same megs. Bought the wife a P5100 Coolpix 12meg for $300. which Ithink is a better camera for out doors and it is a pocket camera. Just my thoughts. I bought the 70-300 APO Sigma lens for the D70, better macro but it is a $500. lens.

Islandeer
12-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the great insight ...

fozzy
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I was in the market for a new camera and was looking at the D80 then I was shown a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 10.1 Megapixel, 18x optical zoom digital still camera. It is nice and lightweight and I really like the zoom it has. Not having to cary spare lenses is a bonus.

porcupine
12-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I got a D60 this summer and I LOVE IT. It takes better pics than the D80. I also bought the the 55-200 MM lens and had a lot of fun with it this fall.

Here are a couple of photos that I took with it.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/WhiteCheekedPIntail036.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/11-25-08EurasianWidgeon005.jpg
________
girlfriend pictures (http://girlfriendpics.org)

Mr. Dean
12-23-2008, 01:28 AM
The D40 is a great package imo.... And it won't bust the bank.

PITA for hunting with though.

islandarcher
12-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a Nikon d200, absolutly love it. That said, I only went with the 200 because I got such a screaming deal on it lightly used. If I were to buy new I would have hands down went with the D80. From what I have read the D90 is another superior camera. As others have said, spend the money on glass. Bodies are constantly being updated, and you can easily pick up last years models at significantly reduced prices. I would avoid the d40, and I believe the 60, as they do not have the auto focus function on the body. Check out cameracanada.com, and Vistek for online purchases. A few great stores nearby to check out include lens and shutter on Fort I believe, and Kerrisdale camera near Save on foods in the gateway village.

As others have also mentioned, dpreviews is an invaluable online source for compairing products side by side to narrow down your decision.

Good luck in your purchase, and happy shooting

Murray

Dirty
12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I got a D80 in September. I also took a photography course. Unless you have a good book or desire to teach yourself, a course is the way to go. It teaches you to take control of a camera with soo many different functions. They aren't like a normal point and shoot, but they are very rewarding and addicting to use. I want to get a big Telephoto Lens coming up so I can take some wildlife photos. Make sure you spend the extra money and get a VR lens. It is worth it.

Tarp Man
12-26-2008, 09:55 AM
If you are looking for a DSLR then you do have a tough choice to make. Canon has come out with a new 5D? to be available soon, so the older one is on for a good deal in a lot of stores. And there is the 40D to look at. Also consider the G10 point and shoot. There is a review here to consider if you want, as well as some shots taken with it.

http://www.flybc.ca/index.php?pid=181

Jonathan