PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey Population Range

huntwriter
12-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I need to know the population range of wild turkeys here in British Columbia for an article I am writing. As usual the government and wildlife biologists are not much of help in my quest to find data. What’s new.

That leaves me with the only other option, which is to ask the hunters here in British Columbia.

I would like to know from all of you the locations across BC where you have seen wild turkeys (not domestic or feral) in the past year or two. I also would like to know how many turkeys you have seen.

It does not have to be exact numbers. Answers like “I see a lot / a few of turkeys regularly / on occasion in (name of area)” will do just fine. If possible I also would like to know what turkey subspecies you see in your area. If you're not familiar with subspecies look at a picture below and see which subspecies it is (#1 to #4).

I need this information to establish a population chart, not to find someone’s hot spot. Yuo can post your comment here or send me a PM.
Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated.

1.) Eastern
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/Turkey/eastern.jpg

2.) Gould's
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/Turkey/goulds.jpg

3.) Merriam's
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/Turkey/merriam.jpg
4.) Rio Grande
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/Turkey/rio_grande.jpg

huntwriter
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks to everybody that sent me PM’s about turkey sightings. Please keep the information coming so I can make the distribution map as accurate as possible.

mark
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a friend whos seen a turkey on the breaks of the fraser west of clinton, while sheep hunting. Thats the furthest north and west Ive ever heard of em!

huntwriter
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you Mark.

There are more and more dots on the map put to get a somewhat correct picture I need a lot more. Keep it coming friends.:smile:
Lets show the biologists that we can do as good, if not better, then they do.

12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Thank you Mark.

There are more and more dots on the map put to get a somewhat correct picture I need a lot more. Keep it coming friends.:smile:

The entire Rocky Mountain Trench south of Brisco/Radium, excluding tributaries.

GoatGuy
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Huntwriter,

You won't find any pop estimates in BC.

Region 8 - Christina Lake all the way west to Rock Creek north up the Christian Valley and up the Beaverdell side all the way up to Vernon. Saw some in a field south of Mable lake last year as well.

There's a local group of guys who have been transplanting them for the last couple of years.

Gobble, gobble.

tmarschall
12-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Have you tried doing a search for NWTF, they might have more data than the bio's have. I think they are doing a lot of the transplanting and monitoring.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Have you tried doing a search for NWTF, they might have more data than the bio's have. I think they are doing a lot of the transplanting and monitoring.

Don't you mean the "accidental escapes"??:rolleyes:

SSS

sawmill
12-23-2008, 06:27 AM
All over around here and lots around Ft. Steele/Wasa.All Merriams.I got one with an 11 1/2 inch beard,tough as a boot.

CanuckShooter
12-23-2008, 07:45 AM
I saw one on top of the ridges above Sheep Creek Hill [west of williams lk] a few years ago...I don't know anything about the sub-species, but it had a very light blue head like the bottom one in your post.

Elkaholic
12-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Most if not all of the turkeys in BC will be Merriams. This year alone I seen 15 on the Plumbob road that connects TeePee Creek with Caven Cr Roads.

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 09:53 AM

I am a member of the NWTF. I contacted them and they do not know either. There is a NWTF chapter here in BC which is pretty much a one man operation.

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Don't you mean the "accidental escapes"??:rolleyes:

SSS

There are no “accidental escapees” in BC from the NWTF. All the introductions have been done in accordance with law and the governments cooperation. Most of the original wild turkey population immigrated to BC from the USA and Alberta.

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Most if not all of the turkeys in BC will be Merriams. This year alone I seen 15 on the Plumbob road that connects TeePee Creek with Caven Cr Roads.

That’s true, but there have been some other sub species sighted too. A small flock crossed the border from America into the Lower Mainland and those are from a population of eastern wild turkeys that have been introduced to Washington.

KevinB
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you Mark.

Null data probably doesn't help you much, but I haven't seen any around Kamloops, at least not yet.

kgriz
12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey Huntwriter,

Hope that whatever story you are writing doesn't have too wide or popular of a publication range! Thats all we need is more out-of-province hunters shooting BC's cheap turkeys; why the MOE hasn't changed them to a big-game species so that they would have to be accompanied hunts is beyond me. Normally I wouldn't be quite as bitter as this but I've seen how the Albertan hoards swoop into the Work Channel for crabs or into the Kootenays for fishing with tidy-tanks full of Alberta gas and trucks full of Alberta groceries. All that oil money and nowhere to go! At least make them pay for it; they're more than happy to charge $150 per whitetail to us. God help us in the spring when all the hunters from Alberta waiting to get drawn in their own province find out about BC. I guess turkeys aren't a " species with a conservation concern" as the MOE puts it and hunting opportunities will be increased...unfortunately just not for us.

curt
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
rock creek christian valley lots hanging around there not sure what type though

GoatGuy
12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey Huntwriter,

Hope that whatever story you are writing doesn't have too wide or popular of a publication range! Thats all we need is more out-of-province hunters shooting BC's cheap turkeys; why the MOE hasn't changed them to a big-game species so that they would have to be accompanied hunts is beyond me. Normally I wouldn't be quite as bitter as this but I've seen how the Albertan hoards swoop into the Work Channel for crabs or into the Kootenays for fishing with tidy-tanks full of Alberta gas and trucks full of Alberta groceries. All that oil money and nowhere to go! At least make them pay for it; they're more than happy to charge $150 per whitetail to us. God help us in the spring when all the hunters from Alberta waiting to get drawn in their own province find out about BC. I guess turkeys aren't a " species with a conservation concern" as the MOE puts it and hunting opportunities will be increased...unfortunately just not for us.

Uh-oh.:redface:

boxhitch
12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
There are no “accidental escapees” in BC from the NWTF. All the introductions have been done in accordance with law and the governments cooperation. Most of the original wild turkey population immigrated to BC from the USA and Alberta. Would you care to clarify this comment ? When have turkey releases onto public lands ever been sanctioned by the Province of BC ??

The current sentiment is that they are pests and releases are not allowed legally. onto crown lands

Maybe the fellows currently releasing birds should give some concideration to the laws about capture/transport of wildlife, release of invasive species, etc. onto crown lands
These guys are no better than the fools releasing perch and bass into trout systems.

GoatGuy
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Would you care to clarify this comment ? When have turkey releases ever been sanctioned by the Province of BC ??

The current sentiment is that they are pests and releases are not allowed legally.

Maybe the fellows currently releasing birds should give some concideration to the laws about capture/transport of wildlife, release of invasive species, etc.
These guys are no better than the fools releasing perch and bass into trout systems.

Permit says they have to be released on private land - where the turkeys go thereafter is up to them.

It's legit, don't worry.:p

boxhitch
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Permit says they have to be released on private land - where the turkeys go thereafter is up to them.

It's legit, don't worry.:p
No worry's. Will try to get permit/release addresses from MOE.

GoatGuy
12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
No worry's. Will try to get permit/release addresses from MOE.

Couple up your way - Predator ridge has had a couple releases.

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey Huntwriter,

Nowhere in North America are turkeys classified as a big game species. Turkeys are in many jurisdictions classed as upland game bird or as their own game species class.

The article I am writing is in part about the turkey population and the spread here in British Columbia. Besides that, I will use the information to create a population chart map to be used in my seminars and turkey hunting courses.

You can put your fears at rest. The information is not used to lead hunters to hot spots. Similar charts have been made for elk, deer, bear and many other game species but never for turkey.

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Would you care to clarify this comment ? When have turkey releases onto public lands ever been sanctioned by the Province of BC ??

The current sentiment is that they are pests and releases are not allowed legally. onto crown lands

Maybe the fellows currently releasing birds should give some concideration to the laws about capture/transport of wildlife, release of invasive species, etc. onto crown lands
This thread is not meant as a for or against turkey discussion but simply to establish a population range chart.

The National Wild Turkey Federation is a reputable organization that works closely with the federal and local governments. It is ILLEGAL to capture and relocate any wildlife in this province and other North American jurisdiction, regardless if such operations occur on private or public (crown) land without permission from the government.

The fact is that the majority of the current wild turkey population has entered Canada from America and Alberta without any help from humans. Only very few turkeys have been transplanted onto private land and even that had to be done with the sanctioning of the government.

So you can rest easy, everything is done strictly by the book or it occurs naturally.

“The current sentiment is that they are pests…” That was once a widely held misconception that has changed radically over the last two years. If my turkey hunting seminars and turkey hunting course popularity here in BC are anything to by, hunting this majestic birds has become very popular and hunters appreciate the animal as one of the most challenging game species.

300H&H
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
" Besides that, I will use the information to create a population chart map to be used in my seminars and turkey hunting courses."

Turkey hunting course ?

I'm up for that !!! I've talked to the owners at Grouse River and they seemed open to the idea. I would like to see it run atleast a month befor opening day so we can pracice our calling.

Gobble gobble cluck purrrrrr LETS DO IT

huntwriter
12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
" Besides that, I will use the information to create a population chart map to be used in my seminars and turkey hunting courses."

Turkey hunting course ?

I'm up for that !!! I've talked to the owners at Grouse River and they seemed open to the idea. I would like to see it run atleast a month befor opening day so we can pracice our calling.

Gobble gobble cluck purrrrrr LETS DO IT

Please contact me and I will be happy t provide you with more information about the turkey hunting course.

The course covers everything from scouting to set ups and calling tactics. To camouflage and shotgun patterning and turkey hunting safety. Including learning the basic and most successful turkey calls. At the end of the course everybody will be able to produce these calls.

There is also some basic course information on my website (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/classes.html).