PDA

View Full Version : January Elk Hunt

whitespringer
12-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Anyone going on one of those winter LEH Elk hunts in Region 7 this winter? Friend of mine has a draw for 7-10, hoping to get in on the action.:smile: Most are limited to private land only and Crown within 2000 meters. Sounds like the farmers are tired of Elk running amuck in their fields.

bridger
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
lots of elk around right now as it is reallly cold up here. -36 this morning so tell your friend to bring warm clothes. if the weather warms up elk up here go nocturnal as they have been hunting pretty much from september 1. so getting a january elk is not necessarily a slam dunk.

Benthos
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
i've already heard of one successful hunter

browningboy
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Tempting to go but I will be in Colorado, maybey check out the elk down there?

BCrams
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
7-10 isn't the Peace Country and private land is pretty limited in that region and the elk in even more isolated pockets.

Expect a tough hunt.

elkdom
12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
7-10 isn't the Peace Country and private land is pretty limited in that region and the elk in even more isolated pockets.

Expect a tough hunt.

minus -46c this morning at 7;30am here in 7-20, if your truck is "winterized" you can get around, once you manage to kill an elk, the knife freezes to the fat/blood as your gutting it out, almost instant rigor from extreme wind chill at these temps, have fun!, I havn't noticed anyone sitting in TREE stands recently, lol
and yes the elk are spooky for the most part as they all have been pursued/hunted for several months, cows, bulls, and yearlings, the elk definately are not as DUMB as in previous years at this time in the winter,,,

BCrams
12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
minus -46c this morning at 7;30am here in 7-20, if your truck is "winterized" you can get around, once you manage to kill an elk, the knife freezes to the fat/blood as your gutting it out, almost instant rigor from extreme wind chill at these temps, have fun!, I havn't noticed anyone sitting in TREE stands recently, lol
and yes the elk are spooky for the most part as they all have been pursued/hunted for several months, cows, bulls, and yearlings, the elk definately are not as DUMB as in previous years at this time in the winter,,,

7-10 is in Prince George - not the Peace country !!!!

I would expect an 'easier' elk hunt in 7-20 vs 7-10

elkdom
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM

OK lets be more difinative!

7-20 is in the PEACE Region,

7-10 is in the OMINECA Region,

now we both understand,,,,,,heh heh heh

Hoytster
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
sweet...need to head up there firs week in Jan for my LEH cow hunt...anyone wanna tag along??

BCrams
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
OK lets be more difinative!

7-20 is in the PEACE Region,

7-10 is in the OMINECA Region,

now we both understand,,,,,,heh heh heh

so noted :roll:

elkdom
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
so noted :roll:

lol, and Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year to you,

Benthos
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM

true enough, although i know of some successful people so far in the PG late season hunt this year.

BCrams
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
true enough, although i know of some successful people so far in the PG late season hunt this year.

Ditto here. I know of 6 successful elk hunters in the late season so far.

All locals who already know where to go.

thetackdriver
01-15-2009, 12:42 AM
JUst got back from my january elk hunt up in dawson and the elk seem to be moving around. Ended up taking a really nice bull in under 5 mins

hunter1947
01-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Good going ,nice to be able to get your elk that quick ,gets the monkey off your back ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif to you.

Creeker
01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Congrats on the Bull.

codykarey
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Thinking about taking a september 2009 trip to Dawson Creek or Fort st. John area for elk. Dont know the area that well unfortunately...any tips :-P

rishu_pepper
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
We need pics... :D

CanuckShooter
01-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Thinking about taking a september 2009 trip to Dawson Creek or Fort st. John area for elk. Dont know the area that well unfortunately...any tips :-P

The best elk hunting is in the Kootenays...and you can skip across the border to buy cheap groceries and fuel....everything is expensive up north...plan a trip to the super Kootenay elk hunting territory instead. :idea:

SUAFOYT
01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Heading out tomorrow for the Peace Region with 3 tags, one of which is a youth any elk tag. The lad has exams next week so he better be ready. A contact up there has seen some and the largest bunch were on Crown land- he tells me they stopped counting at 80. Not getting too excited- I've been stung too many times with the "you should have been here last week" line.

sawmill
01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
The best elk hunting is in the Kootenays...and you can skip across the border to buy cheap groceries and fuel....everything is expensive up north...plan a trip to the super Kootenay elk hunting territory instead. :idea:
BULLSHIT!!!The elk hunting here sucks.Go North,thats where they live.

CanuckShooter
01-17-2009, 10:09 AM

I am told Kootenays elk even taste better?? Northern elk eat pine needles and taste terrible....antler growth is hampered by poor diet in the northern regions of the province.....

Northern gasoline and diesel is super expensive, budget at least 20% more for fuel expenses...and if you don't have a warranty on your vehicle you'd best pray for no breakdowns because any repairs will cost you double at least!!

Supposed to be the best rainbow fishing in the Kootenays too...:lol:

elkdom
01-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I am told Kootenays elk even taste better?? Northern elk eat pine needles and taste terrible....antler growth is hampered by poor diet in the northern regions of the province.....

Northern gasoline and diesel is super expensive, budget at least 20% more for fuel expenses...and if you don't have a warranty on your vehicle you'd best pray for no breakdowns because any repairs will cost you double at least!!

Supposed to be the best rainbow fishing in the Kootenays too...:lol:

X2 on this topic,,,

Good sound advice at an affordable price, :-D never pass up free advice:p

killman
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I saw an Elk in the back of a pick-up going through town the other morning. Looked like a smallish bull. possible easy retrievel, as it looked like it was only cut in half. Anyone here?

CanuckShooter
01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26022

Check it out....Kootenay elk....massive....THE primo elk hunting zone fer sure!!!

hunter1947
01-19-2009, 06:50 AM

I have to agree with you thoughts on this one Joe.