PDA

View Full Version : Humorous Hunt

jessonml
12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
So I was over at my Nana's house shoveling her driveway when I get a panicked call from my girlfriend at my house. "There is something in the cupboard she exclaimed!" Calmly I told her yaya I'll be there in 10 minutes it's probably a rat or mouse in the attic.
After a conversation on the way home explaining to her that everything was going to be ok, (she has an insane fear of rats). I come in give her a hug and get her to go downstairs once she points me in the direction of the noise.
So sure enough I open my liquor cabinet door, above the stove vent cupboard and this big black rat is staring me down. It actually made me jump.
Its just sitting there looking at me so I close the door. Scratched my head for a second and grabbed a big tupperware bucket and a piece of kindling to steer it into the tupperware under the cupboard. Well after a few attempts the thing just kept running behind the vent pipe or to the other side and I was worried it was going to jump past me and get into the house so I closed the doors and pondered for a second.
I opened the door again and the thing was looking at me... thats when I got a TERRIFIC idea. A PELLET RIFLE! Yea Ill just let it sit there and shoot it and it will just die right away cuz I'll hit it in the head YEA! GREAT IDEA. IM SO SMART! So into the garage I go and grab the air rifle and put on some ski goggles incase I get a riccochet.
I load up and open the cupboard door with the big tupperware below incase it goes for it IT WILL LAND RIGHT IN THE TUPPERWARE WOW IVE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!
So I line up over top of fridge as a rest on a slight angle again thinking about riccochet. Ive got its head right in my iron sights. I take a deep breath and on the exhale I touch off WAM! I know I hit it but it takes off clearing right over the tupperware and landing on my kitchen floor. I try to steer it with the air rifle but it makes it behind the stove.
I give it a couple minutes to die and pull the stove away from the wall. NOTHING!
Damn its got away somewhere.
So I look for blood and find its trail. Up the wall a little ways then a smear back down. I got it good. Then I see the tracks... little rat prints in blood accross the floor. IM ON TO IT. Across the living room and under the couch. Im tracking this little trophy well. IT CAN'T BE FAR I GOT IT IN GOOD!
Its almost over I can tell its close it but no its not under the couch!
I move it right out of the way and thats when I see it right by the subwoofer. I creep towards my kill and its up again and running. A quick pursuit and I chase it downstairs.. good thing I closed the door or it would be in the same room as my terrified girlfriend. Ive got it trapped and grab my gumboot and give it a wallop! Scoop it into a baking tray and quickly run up and throw it outside. I grabbed the air rifle again and as it was trying to limp away I popped one into the boiler room using the doorway as a rest and down it went! I checked out the first pellets wound and it was a little low right through the shoulder. A through and through!
Once I had it loaded up into my dump trailer and covered with snow I had to investigate why it hadn't dropped on the first shot. Sure enough I found the projectile in the cupboard and there was no bullet expansion! I should have researched on HBC before I tried to take down such a creature with an inadequate bullet! I should have got a Barnes or Hornady. Stupid me but at least I learned about following blood trails and keeping your cool not to overlook anything. I think that without HBC this prize would have got away.
So thanks everyone for creating such a resourceful community!
My only regret is messing up the face so bad with the follow up shot because I should have sent it off to the taxi for a full mount. How much would that have cost? Any one know of a good rat taxi in the LML?
All in all the job is done and my girlfriend can rest easier knowing she has such a well educated hunter in the house. Now I can explain why I spend so much time on here, you never know when you need to use the knowledge that HBC gives you!
Sorry no pics I forgot my camera. Oh yea and it was taken in region 2.

Merry Christmas Everyone! Have a safe and happy holiday!

Matt

killman
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Should have used a Magnum.

Bighorn hunter
12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Great story, thanks for posting

jessonml
12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Should have used a Magnum.

I know, and I shouldn't have gone for the head shot especially when I hadn't had that rifle to the range this season.
Hindsight is 20/20 though.
It's all experience.

knighthunter
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
or a shot gun.

husky30-06
12-21-2008, 05:23 PM
through and through???????? good shooting practice....... be sure of the what is behind your target before you shoot........ I would have taken the head shot as the liquor behind could have suffered injury. good hunting though!!!!!:p:p:p

Mr. Dean
12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I use .177 hollow points on squirrels around here with most shots around 35-40 yards.

I've tested them over and over.... They're a good choice. :wink:

rishu_pepper
12-21-2008, 05:28 PM
What's its score? B&C worthy?

f350ps
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
This threads useless without pics!!!!!!!! K

ElkMasterC
12-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Should have left some liquor bottles open....

It would either have died of alcohol poisoning, or joined HBC, and started posting.

Epic tale there, Mr Hemingway. Glad you got him before he got you!

Caveman
12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
This threads useless without pics!!!!!!!! K

Exactly.......We have rules around here you know!!!!

trapperdan2061
12-21-2008, 06:36 PM
How about a hero photo of you and your trophy....

ElectricDyck
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Great story, laughed out loud! I'm glad you had the persistence to track your animal and insure an ethical harvest. I say do a European mount.

jessonml
12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I should have taken pics but hes buried now in the snow. European mount would have been a good option and the size of its head and mass was looking like a good score. Probably BC book.

kastles
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
what about those 22 shot loads? and i hear they make great, trainable family dogs that kill rats but the name of them is eluding me. Good work, love success stories

kastles

bsa30-06
12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
What no picture of your trophy......you know the rules.I think this calls for an automatic banning.

Tank
12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I give it a couple minutes to die and pull the stove away from the wall. NOTHING!
Matt

If unsure of your shot its best to give it at least half an hour..maybe and hour to stiffen up.

goatdancer
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Seems to me you need a 300 mag.......

jessonml
12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
I know I know. My 300 wby was ready but I was worried about the 12 year single malts.

rishu_pepper
12-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I know I know. My 300 wby was ready but I was worried about the 12 year single malts.

There's no such thing as "too dead", we look for humane kills.

:lol:

c.r.hunter
12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
what about those 22 shot loads? and i hear they make great, trainable family dogs that kill rats but the name of them is eluding me. Good work, love success stories

kastles

Jack Russell

Prowler
12-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Russian blacktail rats closed on Dec 10th.
Can I have your name and number please:sad:

mark
12-21-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/2408828411_a3f6f75107.jpg

bc7mm
12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
hilarious, thanks for a good laugh. Good shootin too.

jessonml
12-22-2008, 12:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/2408828411_a3f6f75107.jpg

that "picher" is awesome!

Shooter
12-22-2008, 01:00 AM
using the doorway as a rest

Oh man!... I'd be expecting a call from the CO on this one. I can't believe you posted on a public forum that you used the door as a rest. Don't you know its illegal to hunt from your house?

hunter1947
12-22-2008, 06:18 AM
What you should have used was a shotgun or a bow ,these roof rats are very hard to take down.

The caliber of gun you where using was a little underpowered.

At least you got to track a wild animal and then corner it and put it down.

As for the mounting job what taxidermy is going to do the head mount or full body mount in your area ????.

Very nice story you posted and Merry Christmas to you as well http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

sawmill
12-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I`ve got a Walker hound/Lab cross that would have done the job for you.You might have to spend some money on house repairs after though.:biggrin:.Good story and Merry Christmas.

knighthunter
12-22-2008, 08:29 AM
I hope you figured out how it got in your house and fixed it or maybe you want to be hunting all winter.

jessonml
12-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I hope you figured out how it got in your house and fixed it or maybe you want to be hunting all winter.

I sure did. Once this snow melts a bit I'd certainly rather be hunting ducks than these nasty little monsters.

ELKOHOLICBC
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Great post. I love the details, and good job tracking.:razz::razz:

Ehv
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
What camo pattern do you use?

wolverine
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Geezuz man, ..... have you learned nothing from being in here??? Always, always carry enough gun for the hunt... damit.:p

Gerry
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Great, wait until the anti's read this post..........darn trophy hunters! :eek: Don't you know you are supposed to eat what you kill??:razz:

Salty
12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
You showed nerves of steel there buddy - facing down the corned booner rat, making the boiler room shot and shooting through a maze of booze bottles with no damage? Awsome! You should send the story to all the big hunt mags. lol

Don in BC
12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Excellent !!!!! I laughed like hell. A very good read. Merry Xmas to all HBCer's

Don

anytail
12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
If I was you I would be thinking about setting up a trail cam in the liquor cabinet, just to monitor the trafic.If you don`t have one its a good time to get on the wish list. Cheers...