PDA

View Full Version : snowshoes???

willyqbc
12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, so I know nothing about snowshoes but am looking to get a couple pairs for myself and my little guy for coyote hunting and exercise this winter. Can you good folks reccomend some decent shoes that are not hugely expensive, I don't need top of the line....just sturdy and functional. Also I am a big guy....300lbs, and my little guy is just about 9 and weighs approx. 80 lbs so I will need some reccomendations based on those parameters please.
Also any general advice on snowshoes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Jagermeister
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I think that you will have to get an extra large set of sinew/wood in the Algonquin style. The modern makers like Tubbs pretty well set their limits at 250#.
300 #s? Holy crap Chris.

todbartell
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I like my Atlas 1030's, good for most conditions and I am probably 220-240 lbs loaded with gear

dunbartr
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
For work, (forestry) we use the GV brand snowshoes based out of Quebec. They are super tough and carry a lifetime warrenty on most of their models. They have a wide variety from modern to the traditional type and some for kids. http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/

My parents bought some of the entry level ones (Winter Trail model) last year for like $120.00 I think???

Best of all, made in Canda, not China or ???

Looks like Northern Hardware in PG carries them, or there is also a dealer in 100 mile. Good luck and have fun!!!

Trailmaster
12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I just got a pair from costco they are made by GV, took them out in the yard and around in my area, its almost 4 feet in spots and I only sunk half way up my boots, but they are only rated for up to 250lbs and i'm right on the line. Cabels has a few brands that are rated over 300lbs, mec has some as well, or you can try valhalla.

dunbartr
12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I bet the big ones that you got (10x36) would hold 300lbs just fine.

rocksteady
12-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I would recommend the GV style. I have a pair of Sherpas, that I bought 25 years ago or more and they still work great...

I am not a fan of the old school wood/sinew type shoes (Ojibway??), they were extremely large and cumbersome, you also had to walk like a pregnant penguin....

Here is a link to a Forestry supplier http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry%20Supplies/snowshoes.htm

Ambush
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I used to spent alot of time on snow shoes, hunting rabbits behind two Springer spaniels. Until the snow got wet in the spring I found that the wooden shoes gave more support and were easier travelling. Tough backing out of a willow patch though. They are light and they shed snow well. I used 12X60's and 14X48's

I fell over a lot with the "bear paws" that the fallers used. Dumped those.

When the snow got wet and firmer in the spring, I switched over to a pair of Sherpas which I still use. The webbing on wooden shoes gets soggy and stretches when it's wet.
Synthetic shoes require very little maintainence.

Getting someone to show you the proper gait will make it so much easier and pleasurable

Next, Chris, make some pink fletched flu-flu's for rabbit's, then get Mr. Dean's "Lovely Assistant" to send you a recipe.

Brambles
12-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Atlas 1235's are rated for 300 lbs, lifetime warrenty, not cheap but real good shoes.

BEARSLAYER
12-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I just picked up a pair of 36 inch Atlas sportsman from Venture Gear in Kelowna.They seem to work very well and keep me up just as well as the 60inch wood shoes we have been useing for the last 20 years.

Chuck
12-24-2008, 02:53 PM
As StringFling mentioned - the proper gait, also start out slow and short, but get out often so the leg muscles gradually build up. In other words don't take a 10K hike the first day out. The pain that sets in may well discourage the young guy if he's not conditioned first, and you don't want that.

Kirby
12-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Get a 36" with a spring loaded heel for yourself, I have worked off these many times in the winter with pack on, and with gear, saw etc I am well over 300lb mark. I do like 42" if you can find them, but 36 will do fine.
Tubbs or Atlas and you'll be fine

Kirby

TIKA 300
12-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Just took my Atlas out an hour ago,1st time in 2 years,they are GREAT.
Make sure you get the bear claws...:cool:

PS:very easy access on these ones

Crazy.kayaker
12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
My dad has a pair I use for get the brand but they aren't quite heavy duty enough for me but I love using them so much that I plan on getting some and I was thinking of getting some Atlas's but I think I'll look in to the GV snowshoes but first I must find someplace that carries them. Any one that can give me a lead I live in kamloops that would be appreciated now to check out Valhalla Pure and Coast mountain. Just checked WSS they have nothing online.