PDA

View Full Version : Snows, Snows, and more Snows

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Well everythings been frozen up here for a week and a bit now and havent seen alot of ducks and since canadas arent open yet we figured we'd try our luck on our first snow goose hunt. We have no season in our area, or snow geese for that matter, we mainly just target canadas but its great to finally get out there and help with this snow goose problem I'm always hearing about.

We knew it was gonna be cold and icy and a bit windy, and it was all of those things. The waters werent that bad really. A few spots had ice chunks, hit a couple going but all was okay. Hunting out of a punt is definitely something we field boys dont do enough of but we absolutely love it becuase its a different style of hunting we rarely get to do.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2019th_640x480.jpg

Coming back in after the morning we had a nice layer of ice build up, a boat weighed down with snow geese and some great memories from a great hunt.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2019th2_640x480.jpg

I had joked when we pulled out onto the water in the morning that I wanted to shoot some russian bands. I have never gone out wanting or expecting bands, its not what I or we hunt for. But it sure is icing on the cake once you have a great hunt. And both me and matt have never even shot a banded duck or goose, theres been a lot of birds taken in the last few years but I guess luck and odds finally payed out.

Well wouldnt you know it we get back to the launch, all rigged up and we pulled it out. We were just standing around in the cold when we picked up some birds for some photos and there it was a very old looking band on one of the snows. We all busted out in laughter and cheers, unbeliveable how we didnt catch it at first.

With no idea of who shot it or when, I first thought of drawing straws as the universal fairness of who gets the group band. Instead our friend says nah you guys can have it, so then its between me and my brother(mattchu_19). Me being the more humble ones I guess ;) offer it to my brother and say there you go your first band on your first snow hunt. We're all still excited and even after that I joked around saying, I'll get a russian one.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2019th4_640x480.jpg

We finished taking some photos back at the shop of our 3 man limit. What an outstanding hunt to be our first snow goose hunt, almost spoiled in the numbers for our first time out.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2019th5_640x480.jpg

Then wouldnt you know it. We drive an hour back home throw the birds in the basement to clean tomorrow, Matts gone, everything asleep, there I am moving birds and what do I see another band.

Wow, now I'm just grinning ear to ear, I cant believe we missed another one after we shot them. So I get on the banding site and enter in both bands. They're both wore down quite good, you can still see the numbers but the metal is very thin and rubbed down.

Turns out we got some Russian Wrangel Iron. Matt's bird was banded in 1996, and mine in 1998. 12 and 10 yards old, probably a couple years old when they got banded too but we'll get that info back in a couple weeks on the certificate.

I cant think of a better way to to take friday off from work and have a hunt like that. Truely a remarkable hunt, one we wont forget for a long time. Who would of thought on your first snow goose hunt, both of us would both get our first bands.

blindman
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
From the looks of your boat, it is no wonder that you missed the bands; your eyeballs were probably iced over! Congratulations on a great hunt and surviving the cold.

Chuck
12-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I've tried that once. I thought for sure I'd turn into a woman. It took me two days to get my blood warmed up enough to flow again. Good on you!
Some guys are just tougher than others I guess. lol.

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I should mention every single gun had some problems that day. My brothers benelli SBEII would cycle no problems but the trigger assembly froze up aswell so the trigger couldnt move for awhile. Then my Winchester SX2 nothing froze up but I had to bang with my hand on the receiver inbetween shots or it wouldnt cycle. 3 1/2" loads seemed to cycle well though. Then our partners 870 had a few issues through the day, not cycling or firing. All in all a great hunt with some very humorus attempts to shoot birds to only click the trigger and nothing happened or to try to fire a 2nd shot which didnt happen.

Dano
12-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Great looing hunt! Congratulations on the banded birds, always an unexpected bonus to a hunt and very interesting they were banded in Russia.
I'm taking some time off, the marsh is frozen over and I don't feel like trying to navigate the Pitt River (or freeze my ass off).
Have a great christmas and holidays.
Dan

branthunter
12-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Way to go guys---shooting snows in the cold and snow is one of local waterfowling's great achievements, with two banded birds an added treat. Were the birds decoying or was it a pass shoot?

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2008, 12:51 PM
They were decoying great on the night flight. We packed it in right after shooting time ended by the time we loaded up it was pretty dark out, made for an interesting trip. In the morning it was a combination of a bit of pass shooting, and some sneaky crawling through the marsh to get real close to em.

f350ps
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Great shoot boys!!! I'm cold just lookin at the pics. Were ya out with the local Brant Hunting Legend? K

duckkiller
12-20-2008, 03:42 PM
When it is this cold you got to wipe any oil or lube etc. out of your gun or it is going to jam. Looks like you had a good shoot congrats!

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Great shoot boys!!! I'm cold just lookin at the pics. Were ya out with the local Brant Hunting Legend? K

PM sent.

When it is this cold you got to wipe any oil or lube etc. out of your gun or it is going to jam. Looks like you had a good shoot congrats!

Our guns have been fine in this freezing weather. The cold doesnt hurt them too much, it was more of the ice build up and freezing. I know for awhile my bolt wouldnt actually close becuase ice built up too much around the chamber.

Also I should mention we got to see our very first real sky busters out there. Now where we hunt we call skybusting anything above 50 yards+ and rarely see other hunting groups shooting over that distance in fields. We were boating out and saw a fellow, had a bunch of robos going, as we went by he was lined up on some ducks going over, easily 80-90 yards. We looked at eachother and said "he's not gonna shoot is he??" Our friend just smiled and said yeah then shook his head as the guy finally fired a shot at them at that yardage not even touching one, they just got a little higher and kept on going.

f350ps
12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I know what guys those are, they're there pretty much everyday. Must be nice not to have to work and get to hunt everyday. I guess they got some rich parents in HongKong that keep them in shells. K

Danny
12-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Were you guys out on the foreshore or were the snows in the marsh.
Danny

longshot
12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
That looks like a great snow goose hunt! I wish one day the migration would also hit the island. Have never seen one before since living here.

Jimbo
12-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Very cool pics. My son and I got 5 snows today and were wondering about how old they get to be. 10 and 12 years old is pretty impressive for birds. Keep us updated on the certificate info. :smile:

Crazy_Farmer
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/long1290.htm

It shows all the ages of the oldest birds that have been recovered that were banded. 20-25 years on average for some birds. Thats alot of migrations for sure.

Dirty
12-21-2008, 09:37 AM
CF, What kind of boat is that? Looks like a nice little tin boat. Nice paint job!

Crazy_Farmer
12-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Not sure of the make as its our friends boat who took us out. But its 12' long and pretty wide and sturdy, I dont think its a lund it may be but it had a v nose but it is aluminum. He also did a pretty good paint job on it for the area he hunts.

Jimbo
12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the link. Crazy life spans for sure !! I would never have guessed that a little wigeon could live to be 20 yrs. old or a mallard could be 26. No wonder I get the odd "bad" one. LOL

Danny
12-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Were you guys out on the foreshore or were the snows in the marsh.
Danny

Crazy_Farmer
12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Sorry bud, without sounding like an ass, locations are something I dont talk about especially considering when its not my area, the last thing I'd want to do is burn a good friend.

I know its a very simple question but its also a very simple answer to go out and scout. Whats the point in ruining another friends hard work.

The snows fly around all day, just watch em.

f350ps
12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Good on ya CF, I'm sure "The Legend" wouldn't appreciate the spot on the www. What kind of shape were the birds in? Gettin skinny yet? K

Crazy_Farmer
12-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Actually out of our 20 when we cleaned them, only about 5 had sunken in chests under the breast bone. We had a few real pigs though, huge matures birds, real plump. A real bull of a goose matt's going to get mounted as it was a single lung shot and a real clean bird.

shotgunjohn
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Really nice bag.
Longshot, there were two snows hanging out with some Canada's earlier in the season around Cobble Hill. I saw them scouting but never while I was hunting. We also had a good number of speckles hanging around earlier in the year which I have not seen in many years. So keep hoping it may happen yet. As for mallards over 20 years old I think I tried to eat one of those last week. Tough as nails and the one I cooked with it was tender as could be.

Danny
12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Wasn't trying to get info on any spots,I've put in lots of time in the marsh so don't worry ,I do my scouting.I was just wondering.I some years past I noticed when we got snow a bunch of birds moved into the marsh,thats all.I kinda thought my question wasn't going to give away anything.
Sorry
Danny

Crazy_Farmer
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I finally got all the info back from my band.

Lesser Snow Goose Female
Banded 07/18/1998 Hatched in 1997
Location Wrangel Island, Russia
Encountered 12/19/2008

11 year old bird, Matts should be 12 or 13 when we get it back.

f350ps
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, you got an Ole Timer there! I've sent in lots of Snow bands and I don't think any of them were more than about 6-7 yrs. old and I think they were all banded at Wrangel Is. Curious to see how old yer Bro's is. K

Crazy_Farmer
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Yea Matts info on the website said banded in 1996, so that would make it atleast 12, but then it'll depend how old it was when banded, may of been a year or two before then. Definitely seen its share of hunting spreads and probably produced alot of little snows along the way.

mattchu_19
01-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Lesser Male Snow Goose
Banded 07/30/1996
Was too young to fly when banded in 96
Russia