PDA

View Full Version : which trail cam to get

Islandeer
12-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey all, top of the season to you!! :smile:

What is a good reliable trail cam to get into for under 250 ?

Thanks!

proguide66
12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
make sure you get two........one for the tral....one to photo the guy who is going to steal Cam #1 .

Chuck
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
make sure you get two........one for the tral....one to photo the guy who is going to steal Cam #1 .

Definitely the way to go!!!!!

Ambush
12-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I've got a Bushnell that retailed for $300 dollars a few years ago, that I'll sell you for $100. If you got something to hold them for the pic or video, it's great. But for a "trail-cam" it triggers way to slow.
I've also have two Stealth cams that seem pretty good.
Consider one that includes a cord to plug into a remote battery. Longer life and cheaper if you can recharge them.
I put one out early this week, but I bet the batteries froze into lifelessness pretty quick. In the minus 30's here.
I think a system that would accomodate a small solar panel would be fantastic.
Fortunately for consumers, trail-caming has become very popular. Lot's of competition among manufacterers, so good pricing and features.

Get one that takes video and multiple sequence shots. Also consider one that uses the same storage system as your digital camera. Just pop the card from your trail-cam into your camera for in-the-field viewing.

Trail-cams are fun, but it does take an effort to put them out. Mine spend way too much time in my hunting room.

Good luck and post some pics when it's up and producing.

30-378-magnum
12-20-2008, 12:22 PM
one of the features i would look for is infrared night vision less likely to spook game and draw attention from thieves

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Go on Ebay, type in camera's under sporting goods and look at what is being offered. Do some research on them under google.

I know Jessies Hunting has a review page, along with one under whitetail management, I just do not have the links here at home.

I have the spy cam, which is a great camera. I know Blacktail Stalker had the same one, until it was stolen. Now I believe he builds them. If I was not so shakey, I would build one. Pretty simple and easy...and really cheap. There is a few sites on the net that you can get step by step instructions on building camera's.

There is so many out there today, that they all make better ones than a few years ago. Make sure you get one that has a fast shutter speed, takes SD/Flash cards for easy down load and you can easily attach to a tree. I am up in the air as to whether the flash makes a difference. I have lots of picts of deer at night in the flash over multiple nights, same deer, same place.

Cheers

SS

Islandeer
12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks SS, I have a real cool spot up high in some nice winter range timber that I want to try. Have to be real crazy to go up there so should be okay. :cool:

Johnnybear
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm looking into getting one or two as well. Here is the link to the site Sitkaspruce was talking about.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/iframe.html?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jesseshunting.co m%2Freviewpost%2Findex.php

Lots of reviews and info.

Good luck in your purchase :-D.

recoil
12-21-2008, 01:27 AM
I have a moultrie game spy, had it for about a year, bought it on sale at Hub's for a little over $100 on sale. Its an entry level model, it did not come with the proper cable so i picked one up at radio shack but i still can't download to my computer, have to see the pics on my TV only.

It does seem to take ok pictures but for every deer or coyote it catches it also takes about 5-8 pictures of nothing. Not sure why.

If i had to do it agian i would have bought a better model, but remember the more you spend the more money you will be out if someone rips it off. Be careful where you put it, mine is also not lockable, something to look out for! Good luck.

Islandeer
12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
more thanks ...