PDA

View Full Version : calling wolves

bridger
12-19-2008, 03:53 AM
am going to try calling wolves for the first time this winter. Just wondering if anyone has had much sucess doing this and looking for some pointers. thanks

hunter1947
12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm headed out today to look for there tracks and when I do find lots of tracks I will set up and do calling.

Calling with your mouth works good if you know how ???.
I also will be doing a few calls with my deer in distress calling.

Let me know how you make out in the weeks to come ,I also heard that skunk lure works good to attract wolves in ,I will be ordering some of this scent from Wayne Sharp in PG ,his number is 1-250-561-1602.

Wayne sells all types of trapping equipment and lures from his company.

Sitkaspruce
12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Bridger

We have had some good luck by sledding around lakes and ponds as the wolves love to hunt those areas, prey has no footing on ice. This works especially well when the wolves are having a tough time.

When we find a buch of fresh tracks, we sled put onto the lake/pond, pile a bunch of snow up on the ice and cover it with a couple black sheets. I also put up my Montana Moose Decoy. Then we set up right there, using snow camo and the wind and start calling like a cow moose. Also through in some predator calls and even the odd wolf howl. Watch the timber line as they will just come out and stand there watching. You need good glass and, just like hunting yotes, you need to be carefull of your movements. It works well, when they are in range of the calls and it can take them a while to show up, but we have had some good success. I shoot them with my .270 and 110 grainers. It can be very boring, but if they are around, it gets very interesting, very fast!!!:smile:

Good luck

SS

todbartell
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I called this female in with a rabbit distress mouth call

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Pictures_866.jpg

and this male got duped by the rodent distress on the Foxpro

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Jan_19_06_008.jpg

proguide66
12-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm no expert...but have seen first hand that if you see fresh sign...call..no reply..still be ready!!!...last fall one of our grizzly carcasses got 'cleaned up' over night......took a guess and went another half mile farther along to a good look out...started mouth calling...15 minutes later - here comes 5 or 6 wolves...RUNNIG !!..but very quiet....( of course my hunter missed at 200 yrds....stump for rest , sitting prone..aaarrggh)

boxhitch
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
pre-guide, what do you carry for a rifle ? and what calling worked ? Howling ?

hunter1947
12-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Headed out to look for wolf and cat tracks this morning at 8am.

I will be going out with a new friend his name is John he is 64 years young ,looking forward to this outing http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

The other day with his friends hounds they treed a cat and got a few pic of it ,looking forward seeing the pic they took of this cat.

gbear
12-20-2008, 09:01 AM
I work with a guy who calls wolves in every year just using mouth calls. He's up to 25 in the bag over the years. It seems to work really well for him.

eric
12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey gbear, what calls does your friend use??. Are they just your regular predator calls or an actual wolf call.
Got myself a new Savage Predator in 22-250 to try this winter on yotes and wolves

Eric

gbear
12-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Eric, he actually just uses his own voice. I've seen him do it a few times, but I'm still not sure how he's able to have the right tone. He's got a voice that the wolves really like and respond to. He howls, and the wolves howl back and eventually come to him.

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey Guys

My experience has been that if the wolves are having a tough time of it, a pred call or cow moose call will bring them in much faster and a lot less cautious then wolf howls. We have had luck with the howls in the early season and when the packs have established themselves in an area, but a good fawn and/or jack rabbit in distress and cow moose calls works much better. Empty stomachs will sometimes throw caution to the wind.

The best time for the howl has been after we have shot one or two and the pack is spread out, then howling works great, just keep an eye out as they are very cautious when trying to re-pack up.

We just use our mouths for the howling and cow calling. Any good pred call will work.

The trick is to keep at it and keep working the area.

SS

trailhunter
12-20-2008, 10:55 AM
good advice guys. Ive been thinking about doing a wolf hunt for some time now off my snow mobile this winter.

proguide66
12-20-2008, 10:57 AM
pre-guide, what do you carry for a rifle ? and what calling worked ? Howling ?
I mouth called........they didnt howl until the gun fire ceased...they were split up from that I think.....I carry a rem 300 ultra..usually a 12 guage in my scabbard though....depending where I'm going for the day or whats bein guided governs the gun for the day......carrying a gun is a pain in the ass