PDA

View Full Version : Low deer numbers on sunshine coast

tooty
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
There are very low deer numbers on the sunshine coast to date.A recent population study has confirmed this consensus. Numbers have been on the decline for a number of years,so it hasn't been an instant decline.What are the causes,and what can been done?

proguide66
12-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Hammer on the predators. The wildlife biologist for your area is the same guy for us here in Pemby. He told me that last yr you guys had wolves and cougers coming into town looking for meals.He also aksed me to tell ANYONE who wants a couger to go there...FAST !!
Ive been picking up speed on the wolves around here and doing so asked him how many he figured i should take here...he laughed and said " as many as possible"...also stated that you/we can NEVER get rid of all of them...but keeping them 'down' deffinitely keeps the local deer pop up.....bummer is the length the 'cycle' takes...will be a few yrs yet for your deer hunting to get back to what it 'was' ....hunt wolves!!!!!........

tooty
12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I know him quite well.We are going to scout out some elk to trap tomorrow,and talk about deer.Habitat restoration,predation,try to promote prescribed burns.Lots of cats.